E2 Visa Taxes for Investors Explained

Updated on April 9, 2024

Welcome back, E2 visa holders and aspiring investors! In our previous blog post, we covered the ins and outs of obtaining an E2 visa. Today, we’ll tackle another crucial aspect of your American investment journey: taxes. As an E2 visa holder, it’s essential to understand your tax obligations to ensure a smooth and compliant experience. Let’s dive in!

30 Second Recap:

E2 visa holders navigate complex U.S. tax laws, classified as non-resident aliens unless they satisfy the substantial presence test, determining tax residency based on days spent in the U.S. over three years. Non-resident aliens face taxes on U.S.-sourced income, including earnings from E2 businesses and investments, requiring filing Form 1040-NR. Conversely, meeting the substantial presence test shifts one’s status to resident alien, bringing global income under U.S. tax jurisdiction, akin to U.S. citizens. Business structure choice significantly impacts tax filings, with options ranging from personal returns for sole proprietorships to corporate filings for corporations. Additionally, state and local taxes, along with international tax treaties, can affect tax obligations, underscoring the importance of accurate financial record-keeping and professional tax advice to navigate these complexities.


Tax Residency Status

First things first, let’s clarify your tax residency status. As an E2 visa holder, you’ll be considered a non-resident alien for tax purposes, unless you meet the substantial presence test. This test considers the number of days you’ve been physically present in the U.S. over a three-year period. If you spend 183 days or more in the U.S. during the current year, or meet a specific formula based on your presence in the previous two years, you may be considered a resident alien for tax purposes.

Tax Obligations for Non-Resident Aliens

If you’re a non-resident alien, you’ll be subject to U.S. taxes on your U.S.-sourced income. This includes income generated by your E2 business, as well as any other U.S.-sourced income like rental income or capital gains. You’ll need to file a non-resident tax return (Form 1040-NR) and pay taxes on this income.

It’s important to note that as a non-resident alien, you won’t be taxed on your worldwide income by the U.S. government. However, you may still have tax obligations in your home country, so be sure to consult with a tax professional who understands cross-border taxation.

Tax Obligations for Resident Aliens

If you meet the substantial presence test and are considered a resident alien for tax purposes, you’ll be subject to the same tax rules as U.S. citizens. This means you’ll need to report your worldwide income on your U.S. tax return (Form 1040) and pay taxes accordingly. You may be eligible for certain tax credits and deductions, so be sure to explore these options with your tax advisor.

Business Structure and Taxes

The tax implications for your E2 business will depend on the structure you choose. If you operate as a sole proprietorship or partnership, you’ll report your business income on your personal tax return. If you set up a corporation, your business will need to file a separate corporate tax return (Form 1120).

It’s crucial to keep accurate records of your business income and expenses, as these will be necessary for tax reporting purposes. Consider working with a bookkeeper or accountant to ensure your financial records are in order.

State and Local Taxes

In addition to federal taxes, you may also be subject to state and local taxes depending on where your business is located. These can include income taxes, sales taxes, and property taxes. Be sure to research the tax requirements in your specific location and factor these into your business planning.

Tax Treaties

The United States has tax treaties with several countries, which can impact your tax obligations as an E2 visa holder. These treaties are designed to prevent double taxation and may provide certain benefits or exemptions. Check if your home country has a tax treaty with the U.S. and consult with a tax professional to understand how it applies to your situation.

Final Thoughts

Navigating taxes as an E2 visa holder may seem daunting, but with proper planning and guidance, you can ensure a smooth and compliant tax experience. Remember to determine your tax residency status, understand your federal, state, and local tax obligations, and keep accurate records for your business. Don’t hesitate to seek the advice of a qualified tax professional who specializes in cross-border taxation to help you make informed decisions.

By staying on top of your tax obligations, you can focus on what matters most – growing your business and living your American dream!

I agree to have my personal information transfered to MailChimp ( more information )
Join over 100,000 visitors who are receiving our newsletter and learn more about finance, immigration, and more!
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.

Frank Gogol

I’m a firm believer that information is the key to financial freedom. On the Stilt Blog, I write about the complex topics — like finance, immigration, and technology — to help immigrants make the most of their lives in the U.S. Our content and brand have been featured in Forbes, TechCrunch, VentureBeat, and more.

Get the Checklist