Are Casualty and Theft Losses Tax Deductible?

Updated on February 5, 2024

At a Glance

  • Casualty and theft loss deductions are limited to federally declared disaster areas under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA).
  • Losses must be sudden, unexpected, or unusual and directly related to the declared disaster to be deductible.
  • Deductions require itemizing on Schedule A (Form 1040) and using Form 4684 to calculate the amount.
  • Losses must be reduced by $100 per event and by 10% of adjusted gross income, and only uninsured losses are deductible.

Experiencing a casualty or theft can be a significant financial setback. To mitigate the impact of such unfortunate events, the IRS previously allowed taxpayers to deduct certain casualty and theft losses on their tax returns. However, recent changes in tax law under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) have restricted the deductibility of these losses for many taxpayers. Let’s explore the current criteria for casualty and theft loss deductions and how to determine if you qualify.

Understanding Casualty and Theft Loss Deductions

Casualty losses represent financial damage to property from sudden events like fires, storms, or accidents. Theft losses are the result of property taken illegally under circumstances like burglary or robbery. To qualify as deductible, these events must generally be sudden, unexpected, or unusual.

Changes Brought by the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act

The TCJA modified the rules for casualty and theft loss deductions. For tax years 2018 through 2025, you can only deduct casualty and theft losses that are attributable to a federally declared disaster.

Qualifications for Deducting Losses

To deduct a casualty or theft loss, the following criteria must be met:

  • The loss must have occurred in a federally declared disaster area.
  • The loss must be directly related to the disaster.
  • You must itemize your deductions to claim a loss.

For a list of federally declared disaster areas, you can refer to the FEMA Disaster Declarations page.

How to Claim Deductions for Qualified Losses

If you have suffered a casualty or theft loss within a federally declared disaster area, here’s how to claim it:

  • Itemize your deductions using Schedule A (Form 1040), Itemized Deductions.
  • Use Form 4684, Casualties and Thefts, to calculate the deductible amount and report it on Schedule A.

For more information on claiming casualty and theft losses, consult IRS Publication 547, Casualties, Disasters, and Thefts.

Documentation and Record Keeping

Proper documentation is critical when claiming a casualty or theft loss. Keep the following records:

  • Proof of ownership for the affected property.
  • Evidence of the amount you paid for the property.
  • Records of any insurance reimbursements received or expected to be received.
  • Documentation from FEMA or other agencies regarding the disaster declaration.

Limitations on Deductions

There are specific rules that determine the amount that can be deducted:

  • You must reduce each casualty or theft loss by $100.
  • You must further reduce the total of all casualty or theft losses by 10% of your adjusted gross income (AGI).
  • Only the amount of loss that is not reimbursed by insurance or other means can be deducted.

Final Thoughts

While casualty and theft losses can be distressful, the IRS does offer some taxpayers the ability to diminish the impact through tax deductions for qualified losses. However, under the current tax law, these deductions are limited to those losses occurring due to federally declared disasters.

Staying current on tax laws by reviewing IRS guidance and maintaining proper documentation can help ensure you are prepared should the need to claim a deduction arise. Keep in mind that tax legislation can evolve, so it’s essential to keep informed about changes that could affect future deductions.

If you’re unsure whether you qualify for casualty or theft loss deductions or how to claim them, seek advice from a tax professional who can provide expert guidance tailored to your unique circumstances. Additionally, for broader information on managing the impacts of disasters, look to’s Disaster Financial Assistance for further resources.

Learn More About Tax Deductions

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What are Casualty and Theft Losses?

Casualty and theft losses refer to financial damage to property from unexpected events like fires, storms, theft, or burglary, and are subject to IRS tax deduction rules under specific conditions.

How Have the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act Affected Deductions?

The TCJA limits deductions to losses in federally declared disaster areas from 2018 through 2025, changing the eligibility for claiming these losses.

What Documentation is Needed to Claim a Deduction?

Documentation includes proof of ownership, purchase records, insurance reimbursements, and disaster declarations.

Can I Deduct Casualty Losses Not in a Disaster Area?

No, under the TCJA, only losses in federally declared disaster areas are eligible for deductions.

How Do I Calculate the Deductible Amount?

Subtract $100 from each loss, then reduce the total by 10% of your AGI, and deduct only the uninsured portion.

Where Can I Find Information on Federally Declared Disasters?

Federally declared disasters are listed on the FEMA Disaster Declarations page.

Are Theft Losses Deductible if No Disaster is Declared?

No, under current laws, theft losses are deductible only if they occur in a federally declared disaster area.

How Does Insurance Affect Deductibility?

You can only deduct the amount of loss not reimbursed by insurance or other means.

What Forms are Used for Claiming Deductions?

Use Schedule A (Form 1040) for itemizing deductions and Form 4684 for calculating casualty and theft losses.

Should I Consult a Tax Professional?

Yes, consulting a tax professional is advisable for personalized advice and to navigate complex tax situations.

I agree to have my personal information transfered to MailChimp ( more information )
Join over 100,000 visitors who are receiving our newsletter and learn more about finance, immigration, and more!
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.

Frank Gogol

I’m a firm believer that information is the key to financial freedom. On the Stilt Blog, I write about the complex topics — like finance, immigration, and technology — to help immigrants make the most of their lives in the U.S. Our content and brand have been featured in Forbes, TechCrunch, VentureBeat, and more.

Get the Checklist