Transitioning from an O1 Visa to a Green Card: Pathways to Permanent Residency

Updated on March 21, 2024

The O1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa category that allows individuals with extraordinary ability or achievement in their field to live and work in the United States. While the O1 visa is a temporary status, many O1 visa holders aspire to obtain permanent residency (a green card) in the U.S. In this blog post, we’ll explore the various pathways available for transitioning from an O1 visa to a green card and the key considerations for each option.

30 Second Recap:

O1 visa holders have several pathways to obtain a green card, including EB-1A for aliens of extraordinary ability, EB-1B for outstanding professors or researchers, EB-2 with National Interest Waiver, EB-2 or EB-3 with labor certification (PERM), and family-based green cards. When transitioning from an O1 visa to a green card, consider timing, evidence, maintenance of O1 status, and consult with an immigration attorney to determine the most suitable pathway and guide you through the application process.

Pathways from O1 Visa to Green Card

There are several pathways through which an O1 visa holder can obtain a green card:

  1. EB-1A: Alien of Extraordinary Ability The EB-1A green card category is designed for individuals with extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics. The eligibility criteria for EB-1A are similar to those of the O1A visa, making it a natural pathway for many O1A visa holders. To qualify, the individual must demonstrate sustained national or international acclaim and recognition in their field.
  2. EB-1B: Outstanding Professor or Researcher The EB-1B green card category is suitable for O1A visa holders who are outstanding professors or researchers with at least three years of experience in teaching or research and who have been recognized internationally for their achievements in their academic field. The individual must have a job offer from a U.S. employer and meet specific evidentiary criteria.
  3. EB-2 with National Interest Waiver (NIW): The EB-2 green card category is for individuals with advanced degrees or exceptional ability in the sciences, arts, or business. O1A visa holders may be eligible for an EB-2 green card with a National Interest Waiver (NIW), which allows them to self-petition without a job offer or labor certification. To qualify for an NIW, the individual must demonstrate that their work is in the national interest of the United States.
  4. EB-2 or EB-3 with Labor Certification (PERM): O1A visa holders who do not meet the criteria for EB-1A, EB-1B, or EB-2 with NIW may still be eligible for an EB-2 or EB-3 green card through the traditional labor certification process (PERM). This pathway requires a job offer from a U.S. employer and a certification from the Department of Labor that there are no qualified U.S. workers available for the position.
  5. Family-Based Green Cards: If an O1 visa holder has a qualifying family relationship with a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, they may be eligible for a family-based green card. This pathway is independent of the O1 visa status and may be an option for those who do not qualify for employment-based green cards.

Considerations for Transitioning to a Green Card

When planning to transition from an O1 visa to a green card, consider the following:

  1. Timing: Start the green card process early, as some pathways may have long processing times. It’s essential to ensure that your O1 status remains valid throughout the green card application process.
  2. Evidence: Gather strong evidence to support your green card application, demonstrating your extraordinary ability, achievements, or qualifications, depending on the pathway you choose.
  3. Maintenance of O1 Status: Maintain your O1 status while pursuing a green card to avoid any gaps in status that could jeopardize your application.
  4. Consult with an Immigration Attorney: Work closely with an experienced immigration attorney who can help you determine the most suitable green card pathway based on your qualifications and guide you through the application process.

Final Thoughts

Transitioning from an O1 visa to a green card is a significant step towards permanent residency in the United States. By understanding the various pathways available and the considerations for each option, O1 visa holders can make informed decisions about their long-term immigration goals. Whether pursuing an employment-based or family-based green card, working with an experienced immigration attorney is crucial to navigating the complexities of the process and maximizing the chances of success.

I agree to have my personal information transfered to MailChimp ( more information )
Join over 100,000 visitors who are receiving our newsletter and learn more about finance, immigration, and more!
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.

Frank Gogol

I’m a firm believer that information is the key to financial freedom. On the Stilt Blog, I write about the complex topics — like finance, immigration, and technology — to help immigrants make the most of their lives in the U.S. Our content and brand have been featured in Forbes, TechCrunch, VentureBeat, and more.

Get the Checklist