K1 Visa Required Documents Explained

Updated on April 8, 2024

When applying for a K1 fiancé(e) visa, gathering the necessary documents is a crucial step in the process. The right documentation helps to demonstrate your eligibility and the legitimacy of your relationship to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and the U.S. Department of State. In this blog post, we’ll outline the essential documents required for both the U.S. citizen sponsor and the foreign fiancé(e).

30 Second Recap:

When applying for a K1 fiancé(e) visa, both the U.S. citizen sponsor and the foreign fiancé(e) must provide specific documents. The U.S. citizen sponsor must submit proof of citizenship, evidence of legal name changes, a passport-style photograph, evidence of termination of prior marriages, proof of in-person meeting, and evidence of the relationship. The foreign fiancé(e) must provide a valid passport, birth certificate, police certificates, medical examination results, evidence of financial support, passport-style photographs, and divorce or death certificates (if applicable).

Documents Required from the U.S. Citizen Sponsor

As the U.S. citizen sponsor, you’ll need to provide the following documents when filing Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e):

  1. Proof of U.S. citizenship: This can include a copy of your birth certificate, passport, or naturalization certificate.
  2. Evidence of legal name changes: If your name has changed due to marriage, divorce, or other reasons, provide legal documentation, such as marriage certificates, divorce decrees, or court orders.
  3. Passport-style photograph: Submit one recent passport-style color photograph of yourself.
  4. Evidence of termination of prior marriages: If you or your fiancé(e) have been previously married, provide divorce decrees, annulment records, or death certificates to show that all prior marriages have been legally terminated.
  5. Evidence of in-person meeting: Provide proof that you and your fiancé(e) have met in person within the two years before filing the petition. This can include flight itineraries, hotel receipts, photographs together, or other relevant documentation.
  6. Evidence of your relationship: Submit documents that demonstrate your genuine relationship, such as correspondence, photographs, affidavits from friends or family, or other proof of your commitment to each other.

Need help with your K-1 visa?

Our immigration experts can help. Simply complete our easy form to request a free consultation!

Green Card Icon

Documents Required from the Foreign Fiancé(e)

Your foreign fiancé(e) will need to provide the following documents during the visa application process:

  1. Passport: A valid passport with at least six months of remaining validity beyond the intended period of stay in the United States.
  2. Birth certificate: An original or certified copy of their birth certificate, along with a certified English translation if the document is not in English.
  3. Police certificates: Your fiancé(e) must provide police certificates from their current country of residence and all countries where they have lived for six months or more since age 16.
  4. Medical examination results: Your fiancé(e) will need to undergo a medical examination by a U.S. Department of State-authorized physician. The physician will provide the necessary forms and documentation.
  5. Evidence of financial support: The U.S. citizen sponsor must provide an Affidavit of Support (Form I-134) to demonstrate their ability to financially support the foreign fiancé(e) in the United States.
  6. Passport-style photographs: Your fiancé(e) must submit two recent passport-style color photographs.
  7. Divorce or death certificates: If your fiancé(e) has been previously married, they must provide divorce decrees, annulment records, or death certificates to show that all prior marriages have been legally terminated.

Additional Documents

Depending on your specific situation, you may need to provide additional documents, such as military records, court records, or translations of documents not in English. It’s essential to carefully review the instructions for Form I-129F and the Department of State’s visa application requirements to ensure you have all the necessary documentation.

Your submission could not be saved. Please try again.
Your submission has been successful.

Need help with immigration?

Complete the form below to receive customized support for your immigration needs.

The SMS field must contain between 6 and 19 digits and include the country code without using +/0 (e.g. 1xxxxxxxxxx for the United States)
I agree to have my personal information transfered to MailChimp ( more information )
Join over 100,000 visitors who are receiving our newsletter and learn more about finance, immigration, and more!
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.

Frank Gogol

I’m a firm believer that information is the key to financial freedom. On the Stilt Blog, I write about the complex topics — like finance, immigration, and technology — to help immigrants make the most of their lives in the U.S. Our content and brand have been featured in Forbes, TechCrunch, VentureBeat, and more.

Get the Checklist