Guide to Form I-865 in the U.S.

Updated on April 10, 2024

At a Glance

  • Form I-865 is used to report a change of address to the USCIS.
  • It must be filed within 30 days of moving and is specifically for visa sponsors who have previously filed Form I-864.
  • The form requires personal information, including name, birthdate, and new address.
  • It should be filled out accurately and signed. The form can be submitted by mail, online, or by phone. There is no filing fee for Form I-865.

As a visa sponsor, you have many responsibilities. Keeping the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) up to date on your physical address is one of them. If you’ve recently moved, you can use Form I-865 to notify the USCIS about your change of address. We provide more details on the Form I-865 and tips on how to complete it, below. 

What is Form I-865?

The Form I-865 is the form you use to notify the USCIS if your address has changed. The USCIS requires your address to be up to date at all times. If you move, you have to notify them within 30 days.

The Form I-865 can only be used by visa sponsors, however. If you are a visa holder, you must use a different form.

Who Needs Form I-865?

Any person or entity that has previously filed a Form I-864 (Affidavit of Support) and who has sponsored an immigrant for a visa must file a Form I-865 and report a change of address within 30 days of the change. This is only required where the sponsorship agreement is still in force, though.

If you are unsure whether the sponsorship agreement is still in force, it’s best to rather be safe than sorry. Your sponsorship agreement will still be in force until the visa holder:

  • Dies
  • Becomes a U.S. citizen
  • Receives credit for 40 quarters of work
  • Loses lawful permanent resident status in removal proceedings
  • Departs the U.S. permanently
  • Formally abandons lawful permanent resident status (with a Form I-407)
  • Is regarded to have formally abandoned lawful permanent resident status in removal proceedings.

If you don’t file a Form I-865 to notify the USCIS of your changed address where you are required to, you could be liable for a civil penalty. So be cautious before you just ignore this requirement.

Form I-865 Instructions

The USCIS requires a separate Form I-865 for each person who needs to notify them of their change of address.

First, write your name an alien registration number (if applicable) at the top of each page. Make sure you use black ink for the whole form and write clearly using capital letters only. Don’t leave any blanks. If a section isn’t applicable to you, you can write “N/A” or if the answer is none, simply write “NONE”.

Part 1

Part 1 is information about you, the sponsor. You will need to provide the following information about yourself:

  • Last name – this must be your legal name. If you have two last names, include both and use a hyphen if appropriate.
  • Birthdate – the format of your date of birth must be mm/dd/yyyy. For example, May 8, 1993, must be written as 05/08/1993.
  • Where you were born – include the city, state or province and country of birth.
  • Your Alien Registration Number (A#) – this is your INS file number. If you don’t have one, write “NONE”.
  • Your U.S. Social Security Number – only if applicable.
  • Whether you are a U.S. citizen or a Lawful Permanent Resident – you can tick the box that is appropriate. You will need to provide proof of either.
  • Your new physical address – include the street number and rural route number. You may not use a post office box number here.
  • Your new mailing address – only provide this if it is different from your physical address.
  • Your telephone number – this must be a number where you can be reached during the day. Also include the area code.

Part 2

In Part 2, you have to provide information about the immigrants you have sponsored. If you’ve sponsored more than one, use a different sheet for each.

You will need to provide the following information for each immigrant:

  • First name
  • Middle name
  • Last name
  • Alien Registration Number (if applicable).

Part 3

After you’ve filled in all the information, you can sign and date your Form I-865 under Part 3. This part also contains a statement and certification. Make sure you read through these sections carefully to make sure you agree with the statement and that they are accurate. If you are happy, you can sign it.

Don’t skip or forget about this part. An unsigned Form I-865 will be returned as incomplete.

Part 4

If you used an interpreter, the interpreter’s information must be filled in here. The interpreter will also need to sign this part as part of providing their certification.

Part 5

If someone else other than the actual sponsor completes the Form I-865, they need to fill in Part 5 with their basic personal information.

Part 6

Part 6 is where you can provide any additional information you did not have space for in the previous parts. Make sure you clearly list the page number, part number, and item number that is applicable to the information you are providing.

Where to File Form I-865

Your new address determines where you need to send your Form I-865 to. You should mail your form to the USCIS address listed opposite your new address in the table below.

Your New AddressUSCIS Filing Address
Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia or the U.S. Virgin IslandsUSCISVermont Service Center 75 Lower Weldon StreetSt. Albans, VT 05479-0001
Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee or TexasUSCISTexas Service Center P.O. Box 851804Mesquite, TX. 75185-1804
Arizona, California, Guam, Hawaii or NevadaUSCISCalifornia Service Center P.O. Box 10485Laguna Niguel, CA 92607-0485
Anywhere else in the U.S.USCISNebraska Service Center P.O. Box 87485Lincoln, NE 68501-7485

Remember to keep a copy of your completed Form I-865 for your records. It’s also important to keep evidence that you sent your completed Form I-865 to the correct USCIS office. Keep any proof that the USCIS has received your original form.

Other Options

If you are cautious about sending your Form I-865 by mail or you don’t feel like filling out a physical form, there are other ways in which you can notify the USCIS of your change of address.


You can notify the USCIS online at the USCIS Change of Address website. This option is super quick, and you will receive an immediate email confirmation. You will also receive a physical mail confirmation of your change of address within 15 days.

By Phone

You can also let the USCIS know you’ve changed your address by calling them at 1-800-375-5283. Note if you are a non-citizen, you will still need to file a Form AR-11 or an online notification.

Form I-865 Filing Fee

The Form I-865 does not have a filing fee.

Read More


If you are a visa sponsor and you’ve recently moved, make sure you notify the USCIS of your change of address within the required 30 days. You don’t want to risk a civil penalty. You can notify the USCIS by filing a Form I-865 or by notifying them online or by phone. Follow the tips and instructions on how to file a Form I-865 above, and you’ll have this little bit of admin out of your way in no time.

I agree to have my personal information transfered to MailChimp ( more information )
Join over 100,000 visitors who are receiving our newsletter and learn more about finance, immigration, and more!
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.

Frank Gogol

I’m a firm believer that information is the key to financial freedom. On the Stilt Blog, I write about the complex topics — like finance, immigration, and technology — to help immigrants make the most of their lives in the U.S. Our content and brand have been featured in Forbes, TechCrunch, VentureBeat, and more.

Check your loan offer in minutes

Apply for a loan with 100+ partners with one application. It takes only 2 mins and doesn’t impact your credit score.

*checking your rate doesn’t impact your credit score

Get the Checklist