Guide to DS-82 Form

Updated on April 10, 2024

At a Glance

  • The DS-82 Form is used to renew a U.S. passport, change the legal name, or correct information on a previously issued passport.
  • It can be submitted without appearing in person if certain requirements are met, and requires personal information along with supporting documents like a previous passport and name change documents if applicable.
  • Fees must be paid, and expedited passport services have additional requirements; the form can be printed or obtained from local post offices or U.S. embassies.

Are you planning to travel, but you’ve realized you need to renew your passport before you leave? You already have so many things to get in order. Standing in a queue or making an appointment to get your passport renewed is the last thing you want to do right now. 

Fortunately, you can make use of a DS-82 Form to renew your passport. If you meet all the requirements, you won’t have to stand in a queue, and you won’t have to appear in person either. Plus, if you’re pressed for time, you could even have your renewal expedited. 

Let’s take a look at the DS-82 Form and how you can get your passport renewed asap.

What is the DS-82 Form?

The DS-82 Form is a form you can use to renew your passport, change your legal name on your current passport, or to correct information on a previously issued passport. 

When you use the DS-82 Form, you don’t have to appear in person to renew your passport. You can simply submit the form and wait for it to be processed. If you don’t meet the requirements for a DS-82 Form, however, you will have to appear in person to have your passport renewed.

Who Needs the DS-82 Form

You can make use of the DS-82 Form if:

  • You can submit your most recent passport with your DS-82 Form
  • You were at least 16 years old when your previous passport was issued, and
  • Your most recent passport was issued less than 15 years ago. 

If any of the above isn’t true in your case, you will not be able to use a DS-82 Form. You will have to make use of the Form DS-11, Application for A U.S. Passport.

You may also be able to use a DS-82 Form to renew a previous passport that was damaged. If all the identifying information on the passport is still legible, you will probably have success with the DS-82 Form. But it is still at the discretion of the embassy or office processing your application whether they will accept it. If the identifying information isn’t legible or the photograph has been destroyed, you will also have to make use of the Form DS-11.

How to Complete the DS-82 Form

You can download a PDF version of the DS-82 Form here or use the Form Filler to complete the DS-82 Form. The Form Filler will take you to the correct form based on the information you provide. 

You will need to provide the following information on your DS-82 Form:

  • Full names
  • Date of Birth
  • Place of Birth
  • Social Security Number
  • Sex
  • Contact Numbers
  • Mailing Address
  • All other names you have previously used
  • The issue date of your previous passport book or passport card
  • The book number or card number of your previous passport book or passport card.

If you do not have a Social Security Number, you must submit a formal statement with your DS-82 Form, which is signed and dated. The statement must contain the phrase “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration”.

Make sure you complete all the pages and sections of the DS-82 Form and sign and date it before submitting it. Incomplete forms will not be processed. 

Also, remember to submit your most recent U.S. passport with your DS-82 Form and include a certified copy of any legal name change documents, if applicable. You will need to provide name change documentation if the name you are using is different from the name on your most recent passport document. This would be, for example, where you got married or divorced since your previous passport was issued. Examples of name change documents would be a marriage certificate, a divorce decree, or court-ordered name change document. 

You can find more information and instructions on how to complete and submit your DS-82 Form here.

DS-82 Form Cost

You will have to submit the following fees with your DS-82 Form. You can do this by way of a personal check or a money order:

  • If you are applying for a passport book – $110
  • If you are applying for a passport card – $30
  • If you are applying for both a passport book and card – $140.

You will find more detailed instructions on making payment here.

DS-82 Form FAQ

Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about the DS-82 Form answered. 

Is the DS-82 Form printable?

Yes. Like all other passport application forms, the DS-82 Form is also printable. You can collect a physical copy, download a PDF version and print it or complete it on the Form Filler. 

Where could I find a passport renewal form locally?

If you don’t want to download the Form DS-82 online, you can find it locally at any post office in the U.S. If you aren’t in the U.S., you can collect a DS-82 Form at any U.S. embassy anywhere in the world. 

DS-82 Application Form requirements when using a registered passport expediter

If you are planning to travel in the next 14 to 30 days and you will need your new passport before then, you will have to make use of an expedited passport service. Passport expeditor agencies handle all aspects of your application on your behalf. Most importantly, they ensure you receive your passport in the required timeframe before your travels. 

Here are the requirements for the Form DS-82 if you make use of an expedited passport service:

  • Your completed DS-82 Form. Since you will need to provide a copy to the expedited service, it is probably best you use a PDF version. Alternatively, follow the instructions of the agency you are using.
  • Your travel itinerary. The dates on your itinerary must match the dates on your application. You can get a copy from your travel agency or airline. 
  • Two passport photos. These photos must be identical, and a professional photographer or agency must take them. You can have photos taken at a post office or other photo agency. Your photos must meet the government requirements, which is 2×2 inches, and it must have a white background. You may only wear glasses if they are prescription, and you may only have a head covering for religious purposes. 
  • Authorization letter. This letter authorizes the expedited passport service to act on your behalf.
  • Your old passport book. Your passport book must meet the requirements we’ve listed above.  
  • The required application fee. Note the expedited passport service might require you to pay an additional charge for their services. 

Read More


Needing your passport renewed shouldn’t cause stress or worry before you leave for your exciting trip. If you meet all the requirements of a DS-82 Form, you could have your renewed passport in no time! Read the instructions we set out carefully, and if you’re pressed for time, use an expedited passport service. You’ll be off on your trip in no time! 

I agree to have my personal information transfered to MailChimp ( more information )
Join over 100,000 visitors who are receiving our newsletter and learn more about finance, immigration, and more!
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.

Frank Gogol

I’m a firm believer that information is the key to financial freedom. On the Stilt Blog, I write about the complex topics — like finance, immigration, and technology — to help immigrants make the most of their lives in the U.S. Our content and brand have been featured in Forbes, TechCrunch, VentureBeat, and more.

Get the Checklist