I’m a firm believer that information is the key to financial freedom. On the Stilt Blog, I write about the complex topics — like finance, immigration, and technology — to help immigrants make the most of their lives in the U.S. Our content and brand have been featured in Forbes, TechCrunch, VentureBeat, and more.See all posts Frank Gogol
How to Cancel an Experian Membership
Understanding your credit score is very important. Having a good credit score affects your access to loans, credit cards, and even rental housing in some cases. Unfortunately, accessing your credit score can itself be a challenge. A paid Experian membership is one way to get over these challenges. However, if you are no longer applying for something that you need your credit score for you might not want to keep paying for an Experian membership. Read on to learn how to cancel Experian membership.
What is an Experian Membership?
Experian is a multinational credit reporting agency. It is based in Ireland but operates in 37 countries. The company offers a subscription service that compiles and sends a detailed credit report several times a year. This allows you to closely monitor your credit history and quickly understand any changes that happen over time by reducing how long it takes to get a credit score. Experian also offers services like identity theft protection, credit freezing, and several other subscription services.
How to Cancel Your Experian Membership
There are several different ways to cancel your Experian membership, similar to when you cancel LinkedIn Premium. The exact procedure depends on which method you use. Please note that if you have signed up for more than one Experian service, you might have to complete a separate cancellation for each service.
Cancel Your Experian Membership Online
You can cancel your Experian membership by visiting the company’s website using a web browser (on your phone or computer). The steps listed below will show you how to cancel Experian membership online:
- Use your browser to visit the Experian website (experian.com)
- Click the button in the top right of the screen labeled Sign In
- Enter your account details and log in
- If you are prompted to subscribe to a new service, choose the No option
- On your homepage, click the My Subscriptions button
- If you have more than one subscription, select the one you want to cancel
- Click the button labeled Cancel
- Confirm your choice if prompted.
Please note this option may not be available if you log in to your account from inside the U.S. You may only be able to change to the free version rather than cancel completely. If that is the case, you will have to cancel using one of the other options.
After you cancel your subscription, you will continue to have access to the service until the next billing date. Then, your subscription will change to the free version and you won’t be charged.
Cancel Your Experian Membership Over the Phone
You can cancel your Experian membership by calling the company’s U.S. call center at 1-866-617-1894. The steps listed below will show you how to cancel Experian membership over the phone:
- Call 1-866-617-1894
- Choose the option for consumers
- You will be prompted to identify yourself using one or more of the following:
- Social security number
- Home address
- Date of birth
- If you do not feel comfortable entering that information or you do not have it, you will not be able to use this method
- You may have to stay on hold for some time for a representative to take your call
- Once a representative takes your call, tell them you want to cancel your membership
- The Experian representative may try to convince you not to cancel, or to purchase a new subscription
- Repeat that you want to cancel your subscription. Be firm but remain polite
- After they fail to convince you to purchase new services, the representative will complete the cancellation.
The operating hours of the call center are:
- Monday to Friday from 6 am to 8 pm PT, and
- Saturday to Sunday from 8 am to 5 pm PT.
When using this method, it is recommended that you have a notebook and pen nearby so you can take notes about your call, such as:
- the time and date of your call
- the name of the representative you spoke to
- important things that they or you said during the call
- instructions (if any) that the Experian operator gives you
- the cancellation date.
If there are any problems with the cancellation, you can use this information to confirm the details of your call when you contact Experian customer service.
After you cancel your subscription, you will continue to have access to the service until the next billing date. Then, your subscription will downgrade to the free version and you won’t be charged.
Cancel Your Experian Membership Through the App
Experian has a smartphone app that provides most of the same services as the Experian website. Unfortunately, it is not possible to cancel your Experian subscription through the company’s app. You will have to use one of the other methods to cancel your membership, including online, over the phone, or via email.
Some third-party services offer to cancel memberships on your behalf. If you decide to use such a service, it is extremely important to make sure it is reputable and trustworthy before you provide sensitive information that could easily be used to steal your identity.
Cancel Your Experian Membership by Email
You can cancel your Experian membership by sending an email to the right help center email address. The steps listed below will show you how to cancel Experian membership by email.
Simply visit the Experian website’s Contact Us page to find the contact information for your subscription’s support team. Then, send an email to that address saying you want to cancel your Experian membership.
This method may take longer than a call because you have to wait for responses each time. However, the advantage is that the whole conversation is documented in the emails.
Unfortunately, there is a possibility that the representative you are communicating with will not assist you with the cancellation and will instead direct you to call the call center.
- How to Cancel Uber Pass
- How to Cancel Chegg Subscription
- How to Cancel Adobe Subscription
- How to Cancel iCloud Storage
- How to Cancel LinkedIn Premium
The process of how to cancel Experian membership depends on which method you use. You can cancel by calling the help center, sending an email, or by logging in to the Experian website using a web browser. The process may be quite challenging to complete.