I Lost My Passport and I Fly Tomorrow – What Do I Do?

Updated on October 16, 2023
At a Glance: Losing your passport before an international trip can be daunting. However, it’s possible to obtain an emergency passport even a day before your flight. Contact the National Passport Information Center or the nearest US Embassy/Consulate for assistance. Provide necessary documentation, including travel itinerary and proof of citizenship. While domestic US travel doesn’t require a passport, international travel does. If lost abroad, visit a US embassy for an emergency passport. Always keep a copy of your passport and consider expedited services for urgent replacements.

One of the worst scenarios that could happen when you made plans to travel abroad is losing your passport. The travel document is what allows you to go to foreign destinations, and not finding it before your flight can be truly terrifying.

Well, luckily, it is still possible for you to fly, even though the process will be a bit inconvenient. If you’re in an “I lost my passport and I fly tomorrow” ****situation, read this post and you will know what to do if you ever go through this.

Can You Obtain a Passport a Day Before Your Flight?

Preparing for an international trip is thrilling. You’ve booked your ticket, packed your bags, and are eagerly awaiting departure. But what if you discover your passport is missing just before your flight?

Losing a passport, crucial for verifying your identity and citizenship for international travel, can be daunting. What steps can you take if you find yourself without a passport and your flight is tomorrow?

How to Get a Passport Last Minute?

If you’ve misplaced your passport right before your flight, or if you didn’t realized it had expired, don’t panic. You can pursue a same-day passport. While it’s a high-stress situation, there’s a solution.

To expedite the process, contact the National Passport Information Center to schedule an appointment. If that’s not feasible, some centers accept walk-ins with proof of an imminent flight.

However, it’s crucial to remember the importance of safeguarding your passport to avoid such emergencies. Always store it securely and double-check its presence before your trip.

Quick Guide to Emergency Passport Replacement

Lost your passport just before a trip? Here’s a streamlined guide to securing an emergency passport:

1. Contact the Nearest US Embassy/Consulate

Immediately inform them about your lost or stolen travel document. If you have an impending flight, share your itinerary to expedite assistance.

2. Complete Required Forms

Fill out the DS-64 form for “lost or stolen passports” and the standard DS-11 passport application form.

3. Provide Necessary Documentation

  1. Travel Itinerary – Your plane ticket or boarding pass details.
  2. Police Report – Only if your passport was stolen.
  3. Photo Identification – A driver’s license or any valid photo ID will suffice.
  4. Proof of Citizenship – This can be a birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or an old expired passport. If you don’t have any of these on hand, the consular staff will still guide you through the process.

4. Provide a Compliant Passport Photo

Have a suitable photo ready for the emergency passport issuance.

5. Carry Backup Documents

Experienced travelers often carry an old, expired passport separately. It serves as both proof of identity and citizenship, making the replacement process smoother if the current passport is lost.

6. Receive Emergency Passport

This will allow you to return to the US.

7. Replace Emergency Passport

Once back in the US, ensure you replace the emergency passport with a regular one.

This whole process can be tracked, too, so you can monitor the process of your emergency passport.

What to Do If You Lose Your Passport?

Traveling can be exhilarating, but unexpected hiccups like misplacing your passport can turn excitement into stress in an instant. Whether you’re flying domestically, internationally, or find yourself without a passport abroad, it’s crucial to know your options. Here’s a guide on what to do in such situations:

Domestic Travel within the U.S.

For domestic flights within the U.S. and its territories like American Samoa, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, and the Northern Mariana Islands, you don’t need a passport. Any government-issued photo ID will suffice. If your passport goes missing, proceed with your trip and address the replacement using Forms DS-11 and DS-64 upon return.

International Travel

For international flights, a passport is mandatory. No airline will allow you on board without one. If your passport is missing, you might have to delay or cancel your trip. Some travel insurance plans might cover the cancellation costs. Remember, replacing a passport can take up to 18 weeks, or 12 weeks with expedited service.

Lost or Stolen Passport Abroad

If your passport gets lost or stolen overseas, head to the nearest U.S. consulate or embassy. You’ll need to fill out certain forms, show travel plans, and possibly a police report if it was stolen. With proof of identity, citizenship, and a suitable passport photo, they may issue an emergency passport, especially if your departure is imminent.

Recommended Stilt Resources

Final Thoughts

Losing your passport can be scary, especially if your flight is the next day. Fortunately, you have some options that will help you in a pinch. Consider the tips here and you may be able to fly the next day even if you cannot find your current passport.

Emergency Passport Replacement FAQ

Losing your passport or encountering issues with it can be stressful, especially when you’re far from home. To help travelers navigate such challenges, we’ve compiled answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about US passports and travel:

How do you travel home if you lose your passport?

If you lose your passport while abroad, you should immediately contact the nearest US embassy or consulate. They will guide you through the process of obtaining an emergency passport to facilitate your return to the US.

What is the fastest way to replace a lost US passport?

In urgent cases, expedited services are available both domestically and at US embassies abroad. Domestically, you can apply for an expedited passport, which usually takes 2-3 weeks. If abroad, contact the US embassy or consulate for an emergency passport.

Can I fly with a picture of my passport?

No, a picture of your passport is not an acceptable form of identification for air travel. Airlines and immigration require the original physical document.

Can I travel with a copy of my passport?

While you cannot use a copy of your passport for official identification purposes like boarding a plane, having a copy can be helpful if your original passport is lost or stolen, as it can expedite the replacement process at the US embassy or consulate.

Is there a way to travel without a passport?

For domestic travel within the US, a passport isn’t required; other forms of government-issued photo ID, like a driver’s license, will suffice. However, for international travel, a passport is typically necessary, except for certain US territories.

How do I get a temporary U.S. passport?

If you lose your passport while abroad, you can apply for an emergency, temporary passport at the nearest US embassy or consulate. This document will allow you to travel back to the US, where you’ll need to apply for a regular passport.

How fast can you get a passport?

Standard processing times for US passports are typically 6-8 weeks. However, expedited services can reduce this time to 2-3 weeks. In emergency situations abroad, the embassy or consulate can issue an emergency passport within a day or two.

Can I come back to the US without a passport?

US citizens are required to present a valid US passport when entering the United States from any foreign country. If you’ve lost your passport while abroad, contact the nearest US embassy or consulate to obtain an emergency passport for your return.

I agree to have my personal information transfered to MailChimp ( more information )
Join over 100,000 visitors who are receiving our newsletter and learn more about finance, immigration, and more!
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.

Frank Gogol

I’m a firm believer that information is the key to financial freedom. On the Stilt Blog, I write about the complex topics — like finance, immigration, and technology — to help immigrants make the most of their lives in the U.S. Our content and brand have been featured in Forbes, TechCrunch, VentureBeat, and more.