I’m a firm believer that information is the key to financial freedom. On the Stilt Blog, I write about the complex topics — like finance, immigration, and technology — to help immigrants make the most of their lives in the U.S. Our content and brand have been featured in Forbes, TechCrunch, VentureBeat, and more.See all posts Frank Gogol
How to Get a 10 Year Indian Visa for U.S. Citizens
Traveling to new countries can be a confusing process. It is important to understand visa and immigration laws relating to you as a U.S. citizen in the country you are visiting. Often, visitor or tourist visas are valid for a relatively short period. However, in India, you have the possibility of a much easier solution. Read on to learn about the 10 year Indian visa for U.S. citizens.
What is a 10 Year Indian Visa for U.S. Citizens?
The 10 year Indian Visa for U.S. citizens is a multiple-entry visa for U.S. passport holders traveling to India. It is essentially a special kind of tourist visa that remains valid a lot longer than other kinds of visitor visas.
The 10 year Indian visa for U.S. citizens only expires 10 years after it is issued to you. During that time, you can enter India and stay for a maximum of 6 months continuously.
Unlike a single-entry tourist visa, you will not need to re-apply or renew your visa after each visit. This makes traveling to India much more convenient.
Who Needs a 10 Year Indian Visa for U.S. Citizens?
If you intend to travel to India more than once in the period of a few months or years, then it makes sense for you to apply for a 10 Year Indian visa for U.S. citizens.
This can simplify the planning of your future travel to that country because you do not have to repeatedly prepare documents and wait for your application to be processed.
Applying for a 10 year Indian visa for U.S. citizens may be a good option for you if you are a U.S. citizen and you have family that you regularly visit in India.
However, if you only intend to visit India once for a few days, then you don’t need a multiple entry visa. You also don’t need a visa that has a long validity period.
If you intend to move to India to live permanently, then the 10-year Indian visa is not a good choice because it is a tourist visa.
It is valid for a long period but it doesn’t allow you to stay in India for 10 years continuously. You can only be in the country for 6 months at a time. Also, there must be two months between your entries into India.
Also, the visa does not grant you access to the kind of services that permanent resident status or Indian citizenship would.
This would be a major obstacle to finding employment, housing, and accessing government services.
Documents Required to Apply for a 10 Year Indian Visa for U.S. Citizens
You must apply for and receive your 10-year Indian visa before you travel to India. The list below outlines some of the documents that you will need for your application:
- Completed application form.
- Valid U.S. passport: the expiry date shown in your passport must be at least 6 months after the expected date of travel to India.
- Proof of travel plans to India: for example, this could be airline tickets.
- Recent photo: this must be a photograph of your entire face and shoulders, with a white or light-colored solid background.
How to Get a 10 Year Indian Visa for U.S. Citizens
You can apply for the 10-year visa online using the Indian Bureau of Immigration’s website. The application process is partially online.
You can fill in the application online, but you still need to schedule an appointment at your nearest Indian Government Mission.
The steps for applying for a 10-year visa are outlined below:
- Visit the Bureau of Immigration visa website.
- In the Select Mission tab, select the Indian Mission nearest to you in the U.S. This will be the Mission that handles your passport, receives your supporting documents, and conducts your visa interview (if applicable).
- Fill in and submit the online application form. Make sure all the details you enter are exactly as they appear in your passport.
- Make note of the Application ID the system generates when you submit your application. Use this ID for any communication with the Mission.
- Choose whether to schedule an appointment and pay the visa fee.
- Choose the date and time that works best for you to visit the Mission and submit your supporting documents.
- Complete the e-payment process for the application fee.
- Visit the mission on the date of your appointment to submit your application form and supporting documents.
How Much is the 10 Year Indian Visa Fee for U.S. Citizens?
The exact application fee varies depending on the territory and the required processing speed.
The fee will be calculated (including bank processing fees for e-payments) when you fill in your application form on the visa website. In general, the application fee is about $80-$200 depending on the exact details of your application.
How to Get a 10 Year Indian Visa for U.S. Citizens FAQ
Below are a few common questions that people ask when applying for a 10 Year Indian visa for U.S. citizens.
How Long Can U.S. Citizens Stay in India?
6 months at a time. Although the visa is valid for a full 10 years, that does not mean you can live in India for 10 years non-stop using the visa.
It is a multiple-entry visa, and each entry cannot be longer than 6 months (180 days). There also has to be a 2-month gap between the end of one stay and the beginning of the next.
Is There a Long-Term Indian Visa for U.S. Citizens?
Yes. The 10 year Indian visa for U.S. citizens is a tourist or visitor visa with a long-term validity period.
Is It Possible for U.S. Citizens to Get a Visa Upon Arrival in India?
No. The Indian Bureau of Immigration does not grant a visa upon arrival to citizens of the United States. As a U.S. passport holder, you must apply for your visa before you travel to India.
- The Non-ECR Category: A Guide
- How to Renew an Indian Passport
- How to Renew Your Passport at the Post Office
- The Complete Guide to Having a Valid Visa on an Expired Passport
- Indian Passport Photo Requirements
- How Long Does it Take to Get a Passport?
- Passport Name Change After Marriage
- Form DS-11 for Passport Applications
The 10 year Indian visa for U.S. citizens is a way that you can visit India multiple times without a new visa for each visit. The application process for the 10-year Indian visa is easy. You can fill in the application form online, but you will need to set an in-person appointment at an Indian Mission to complete the process. You must have a valid visa before you travel to India.