I’m a firm believer that information is the key to financial freedom. On the Stilt Blog, I write about the complex topics — like finance, immigration, and technology — to help immigrants make the most of their lives in the U.S. Our content and brand have been featured in Forbes, TechCrunch, VentureBeat, and more.See all posts Frank Gogol
How to Cancel Planet Fitness Membership
Planet Fitness is a great chain of fitness centers for people who like to take care of themselves and stay healthy. As of March 2020, it had over 15 million members.
Still, not all of them want to be members forever. If that’s the case for you too, then you may be looking for ways to cancel your membership.
This article will help you learn how to cancel your Planet Fitness membership. Read on!
- How to Cancel Your Planet Fitness Membership
- 1. How to Cancel Your Planet Fitness Membership by Phone (Up to 30 Mins)
- 2. How to Cancel Your Planet Fitness Membership in Person (Up to 90 Mins)
- 3. How to Cancel a Planet Fitness Membership by Mail (5 Days)
- 4. How to Cancel Planet Fitness Using a Third-Party Service
- How to Cancel Your Planet Fitness Membership by Email
- How to Pause Your Planet Fitness Membership
- How to Upgrade/Downgrade Your Planet Fitness Membership
- Will You Get Refunded After Canceling the Planet Fitness Membership?
- How to Find Plant Fitness Charges on a Bank Statement
- How to Cancel a Deceased Loved One’s Planet Fitness Membership
- Read More
- Final Thoughts
- Planet Fitness Membership Cancelation FAQ
How to Cancel Your Planet Fitness Membership
While Planet Fitness offers valuable services, there might come a time when you wish to cancel your membership. Unlike some modern companies, Planet Fitness requires cancellation either in person or via mail. Here’s how to cancel:
- Cancel Planet Fitness by phone (30 mins) – Stopped Phone Cancellations
- Cancel Planet Fitness in person (30 mins – 90 mins) – Best Approach
- Cancel Planet Fitness by mail (5 business days)
- Cancel Planet Fitness with a third party (15 mins)
Below, we’ll dig into each of these methods in more detail.
1. How to Cancel Your Planet Fitness Membership by Phone (Up to 30 Mins)
If you want to cancel your Planet Fitness membership from the comfort of your home, you might be thinking that you can just do it over the phone. But that is not the case.
The Planet Fitness Member Services phone number is (844) 880-7180, and you can call them for various issues. Unfortunately, you cannot cancel your Planet Fitness subscription via telephone. If you wish to cancel your membership, you will have to go to the club personally.
2. How to Cancel Your Planet Fitness Membership in Person (Up to 90 Mins)
You can go to a local Planet Fitness location to put an end to your subscription. Here is how you can cancel your membership:
- Go to the Planet Fitness location you usually go to
- Fill out a cancellation form
- Send a cancellation request letter to the club
Bear in mind that you will have to offer some personal information to be able to cancel your membership. More specifically, you must offer your name, phone, address, birth date, email, membership ID, and the last four digits of your credit card associated with the account. On top of that, you should provide a statement of your intention to cancel the membership.
Sign and send the letter via certified mail. If you don’t receive a response within a week, call Planet Fitness. If there are issues, it’s recommended to visit the gym in person.
3. How to Cancel a Planet Fitness Membership by Mail (5 Days)
If both an over-the-phone cancelation and an in-person cancelation are not possible, you can cancel your membership by mail. Here’s how to do it:
- Draft a Cancellation Letter, with desired cancelation date to avoid charges
- Mail it to your home club using the address from: https://www.planetfitness.com/gyms/
- After 5 business days, call your local club to confirm receipt and processing.
After you’ve canceled, you will retain access to your club until the end of the billing cycle, but the cancellation is immediate.
This method of cancelation is by far the slowest and should only be used when the first two options are not feasible or unless the date of your cancelation isn’t of much concern.
Planet Fitness Cancelation Letter Template
If you choose to cancel your membership by mail, you can use the following template to draft a cancelation letter:
Dear Planet Fitness Customer Service,
I wish to cancel my membership effective [desired cancellation date]. Please process this request promptly and provide written confirmation. Kindly inform me of any associated fees or charges.
Sincerely, [Your Name and Signature]
4. How to Cancel Planet Fitness Using a Third-Party Service
Canceling a Planet Fitness membership can sometimes be a daunting task, particularly for those reluctant to physically visit the gym. The process might be prolonged or even stressful due to its complexity.
There are multiple services like the DoNotPay, ScribeUp, Truebill (now Rocket Money) that help you with canceling subscriptions without any hassle. With these apps, you can sidestep the intricate cancellation methods and streamline the process. Here’s how to use DoNotPay or a similar to cancel your Planet Fitness membership:
- Launch DoNotPay in your web browser.
- Click on “Find Hidden Money”.
- Enter “Planet Fitness” as the service you’d like to terminate.
Once completed, DoNotPay will send you a confirmation email indicating the successful cancellation of your membership.
Note that third parties should be used as a last result because it is the only option that will cost you money.
How to Cancel Your Planet Fitness Membership by Email
Unfortunately, it is not possible to cancel your Planet Fitness membership by email. You can only mail a letter to them or cancel in person. Email cancellation is not an option for now.
How to Pause Your Planet Fitness Membership
Maybe you don’t want to cancel your Planet Fitness account permanently. Perhaps you just need a break from Planet Fitness so you can save money for more important matters.
Luckily, Planet Fitness came up with a solution for people in this situation. You can pause your membership so you don’t have to close it for good. This way, your account will just be on hold and you will be able to focus on other things, and then come back to your Planet Fitness membership later.
Generally, clubs will let you put your membership on pause for up to three months for reasons related to medical issues. However, not all clubs operate the same, and they may have different rules. So, before you ask for a pause, you should contact customer service at the location where you have your subscription.
Contacting customer service for this matter can be done by going to the location yourself or by calling the club.
How to Upgrade/Downgrade Your Planet Fitness Membership
An option you have with your Planet Fitness membership is to upgrade or downgrade it. To do an account downgrade, you will have to go to the Planet Fitness location you have the membership at. This will allow you to talk to someone at the front desk regarding your account.
But if you want a membership update instead, you do not have to go to a Planet Fitness location. You can simply do it online. It can be done by opening your browser and accessing the Planet Fitness Upgrade webpage.
Then, all you have to do is follow the instructions you receive. To complete the entire process, your Planet Fitness Keytag will be required. Of course, you can also do this at the front desk in person if it’s more convenient.
Will You Get Refunded After Canceling the Planet Fitness Membership?
Although you can cancel an active Planet Fitness membership, it is important to know that you will not get a refund after the cancellation. Even if you make sure to cancel early in the billing cycle, Planet Fitness will not offer a refund.
How to Find Plant Fitness Charges on a Bank Statement
As noted above, one of the crucial last steps of canceling any membership or services is to confirm that you are no longer being charged. If you think you’re still being charged by Planet Fitness, one way to find out is to check your bank statement. Below, we’ve listed all the ways Planet Fitness charges might appear on your bank statement:
- PLANET FIT CLUB FEES
- ACH Electronic Debit PLANET FIT CLUB FEES
- 0439 PLANET FITNESS NEW YORK NY
- External Withdrawal PLANET FIT
- INSUFFICIENT FUNDS FEE FOR A $21.70 ITEM – DETAILS: PLANET FIT CLUB FEES PPD ID: 1710602737
- PLANET FIT CLUB FEES
- PLANET FIT CLUB FEES PPD ID: 1710602737
- INSUFFICIENT FUNDS FEE FOR A $20.89 ITEM – DETAILS: PLANET FIT CLUB FEES PPD ID: 1710602737
- PLANET FIT CLUB FEES PPD
- ABC*PLANET FITNESS
- ACH Transaction – PLANET FIT CLUB FEES
- 0970 PLANET FITNESS ALHAMBRA CA
- Withdrawal PLANET FIT
- PLANET FIT ABC CLUB FEES PPD ID: 1710602737
- CLUB FEES PLANET FIT
- 0934 PLANET FITNESS LOS ANGELES CA
- 0911 PLANET FITNESS DOWNEY CA
- RETURNED ITEM FEE FOR AN UNPAID $20.89 ITEM – DETAILS: PLANET FIT CLUB FEES PPD ID: 1710602737
- 0672 PLANET FITNESS TEM TEMPE AZ
- 0683 PLANET FITNESS NEW YORK NY
- INSUFFICIENT FUNDS FEE FOR A $19.99 ITEM – DETAILS: PLANET FIT CLUB FEES PPD ID: 1710602737
- INSUFFICIENT FUNDS FEE FOR A $39.00 ITEM – DETAILS: PLANET FIT CLUB FEES PPD ID: 1710602737
- WITHDRAW / PLANET FIT CLUB FEES
- 8454 PLANET FITNESS BROOKLYN NY
- Reversal: PLANET FIT CLUB FEES
- PLANET FIT/CLUB FEES
- CLUB FEES PLANET FIT PPD
- ACH Electronic Debit – PLANET FIT CLUB FEES
- ACH Electronic Debit – PLANET FIT RETRY PYMT
- ACH WITHDRAWAL – PLANET FIT
If you see any of these charges on your bank statement, contact Planet Fitness customer service immediately to fix the issue.
How to Cancel a Deceased Loved One’s Planet Fitness Membership
Dealing with the death of a loved one comes with many responsibilities, including managing their accounts and memberships. If you’re tasked with canceling a Planet Fitness membership for someone who has passed away, here’s a guide:
Step 0: Before You Begin
Before handling specific memberships, consider canceling the deceased’s credit cards to prevent any further charges. This action will prevent organizations like Planet Fitness from billing the deceased’s card.
Step 1: Provide Proof of Death
Planet Fitness requires proof of death to cancel a membership. Typically, a copy of the death certificate suffices.
Step 2: Write a Cancellation Letter
If visiting a gym isn’t feasible, write a cancellation letter. In your letter:
- Inform them of the member’s passing.
- Enclose the death certificate.
- Provide the deceased’s full name, membership number (if known), birth date, and address.
- Include your contact details for any follow-up.
Finally, mail this package via certified mail for delivery verification.
It’s essential to cancel memberships like these to ensure the deceased’s estate isn’t charged or sent to collections.
- How to Cancel an LA Fitness Membership
- How to Cancel 24 Hour Fitness
- How to Cancel a Crunch Membership
- How to Cancel Peloton Subscription
Planet Fitness is a great membership, but despite this, you may decide that you want to cancel it. The only way to cancel your Planet Fitness membership is by going to your gym physically or by sending them a letter. You cannot cancel your membership by mail or by phone, but you can use apps like DoNotPay for an easier cancellation process. All in all, before you cancel, make sure this is the right decision for you.
Planet Fitness Membership Cancelation FAQ
Do I have to cancel in person?
Yes, in many cases, Planet Fitness requires you to cancel in person at the location where you signed up. However, some locations might allow cancellations via certified mail.
Are there cancellation fees?
If you’re on a month-to-month membership, there’s typically no cancellation fee. However, if you’re on a 12-month contract and cancel early, there might be a buyout fee.
Can I cancel anytime?
You can submit a cancellation request at any time, but the exact terms of when your membership ends depend on your contract. Some memberships have a 12-month commitment, after which you can cancel without a fee.
How soon will the cancellation take effect?
Usually, once you’ve canceled, you will have access until the end of your current billing cycle.
Can someone else cancel on my behalf?
Typically, the member must be the one to initiate the cancellation. Exceptions might be made for extenuating circumstances (e.g., death or incapacitation), but proof will likely be required.
If I cancel, can I rejoin later?
Yes, you can rejoin Planet Fitness if you wish to start attending again. However, rejoining fees or policies might differ.
Will I get a refund for unused days after I cancel?
Planet Fitness doesn’t usually offer refunds for unused days within a billing cycle. The membership remains active until the end of the current billing cycle.
I’m moving. Can I transfer my membership to another location?
While you can use your membership at any Planet Fitness location, the primary membership is tied to the location where you signed up. If you’re moving, it’s best to speak directly with the gym to discuss potential transfers or cancellations.
Can I put my membership on hold instead of canceling?
Some locations offer the option to freeze your membership for a certain period without charging fees. You’ll need to check with your specific location for their policies.
What if I’m not satisfied with my membership?
Planet Fitness usually offers a grace period (e.g., within the first week of signing up) during which you can cancel your membership without penalties. Check with your local gym for their specific policy.