I’m a firm believer that information is the key to financial freedom. On the Stilt Blog, I write about the complex topics — like finance, immigration, and technology — to help immigrants make the most of their lives in the U.S. Our content and brand have been featured in Forbes, TechCrunch, VentureBeat, and more.See all posts Frank Gogol
How to Get a Cash App Refund
At a Glance
- You can request a refund on Cash App, but there’s no guarantee of success.
- Successful transfers cannot be reversed on Cash App.
- To seek a refund, the recipient must agree, or cancel the payment before finalization.
- Disputing a payment with Customer Support is another option for refunds.
Cash App is a very convenient way to send, receive or even withdraw money. Cash App payments are quick and easy which makes Cash App a great way to buy Bitcoin. But what happens when things go wrong? If you accidentally send a Cash App to the wrong person, or if you’ve been scammed, what can you do? Read on to learn more about how to get a Cash App refund.
- Can You Get a Refund on Cash App?
- How to Request a Cash App Refund
- How to Cancel a Cash App Payment
- How to Dispute Cash App Payment
- How Long Does a Cash App Refund Take?
- What to Do If You’ve Been Scammed on Cash App
- Common Scams on Cash App
- Will Cash App Refund My Money If I Get Scammed?
- How To Avoid Cash App Scams
- Read More
- Final Thoughts
- Sources ▼
- Getting a Refund on Cash App: Common FAQs
Can You Get a Refund on Cash App?
The short answer is yes. You can get a Cash App refund, and the process of requesting it is easy.
Getting a refund through Cash App is not guaranteed because Cash App primarily serves as a peer-to-peer payment service. They facilitate transfers but do not take responsibility for transaction issues. If you sent money to the wrong person or were scammed, Cash App considers the transfer successful. To recover your funds in such cases, you need the recipient’s cooperation.
Cash App’s customer service can guide you on your options, but since the payment was successful, the company isn’t legally obligated to reimburse you. There are three scenarios in which you can receive a Cash App refund:
- The recipient agrees to return the payment.
- You cancel the payment before it’s finalized.
- You successfully dispute the payment with Customer Support.
The Cash App interface makes it easy to perform these actions. If you’ve fallen victim to a scam, especially one involving double payment or incorrect charges, disputing the payment has a higher chance of success. However, for other types of scams, your chances of a successful dispute are lower. Detailed methods for obtaining a Cash App refund are outlined below.
How to Request a Cash App Refund
To request a Cash App refund from the person you sent the payment to, select the Refund button on the Home screen and follow the prompts.
You can also contact the person you paid and ask them to begin the refund process on their side.
Ask them to take the following steps:
- Tap the Activity tab on Cash App
- Select the payment
- Tap the three dots icon
- Select “Refund”
- Press “OK“
How to Cancel a Cash App Payment
One of the benefits of Cash App payments is that they are very fast. When you make a mistake this can be a disadvantage, because it means it is difficult to cancel a payment before it completes. You can try canceling a payment in the activity feed after you’ve submitted it. Some payments may have a Cancel option for a short while after you submit them.
How to Dispute Cash App Payment
If you request a refund, and the person you sent it to refuses, you don’t have many options. If the recipient is a scammer then they are certainly going to refuse to give your money back. In this situation, your last chance to get your money back is to submit a dispute.
Below are the steps for disputing a Cash App payment:
- Tap the Activity tab on your Cash App home screen
- Select the transaction in question and tap the three dots icon in the top right corner of the screen
- Select Need Help & Cash App Support
- Tap Dispute this Transaction.
After you file a dispute, the Cash App team will investigate the claim and contact the Merchant (recipient). The Customer Support team will inform you of the progress and resolution of your dispute via email.
Keep in mind that there are specific types of transactions that can be disputed. You can submit a dispute if you were double-charged, or if the Merchant (recipient) charged you the wrong amount and you sent it. You can submit a dispute in other situations where you sent the payment yourself, but Customer Support may not be able to assist.
How Long Does a Cash App Refund Take?
If you ask the recipient to return your money and they agree, the refund is as fast as the payment. When the person you sent money to authorizes the refund, you will have your money back in your Cash App account immediately (if that’s where you sent it from).
If you sent money from a debit card, getting a refund will take significantly longer. It may take up to 3 business days to get your money back after the recipient submits the refund.
If you manage to cancel a payment before it finalizes, you will have your money back immediately if you were sending it from your Cash App account.
If the source of funds was a debit card, it may take 1-3 business days for the money to reflect on your bank account statement.
What to Do If You’ve Been Scammed on Cash App
Unfortunately, too many people find themselves asking “I got scammed on cash app, what do i do?” If you’ve fallen victim to a Cash App scam, here’s a step-by-step guide on how to report the scam and seek a refund for any fraudulent charges:
1. Cancel the Payment (If Possible)
Cash App transactions typically occur instantly, but if a transaction is still pending, you might be able to cancel it:
- Log in to Cash App.
- Visit the Activity tab on the home screen.
- Identify and select the potentially fraudulent transaction.
- Look for a “Cancel” link. If available, click it to cancel the transaction.
2. Request a Refund Immediately
If canceling the transaction isn’t an option, your next step is to request a refund:
- Log in to your Cash App account.
- Access the Activity tab on the home screen.
- Locate the fraudulent payment.
- Choose “Completed.”
- Select “Report an Issue.”
- Pick a reason for the refund request from the provided options.
- Click “Next.”
Cash App will forward your refund request to the merchant, although scammers are unlikely to willingly return stolen money. If this doesn’t work, consider the next step.
3. Dispute the Payment With the Merchant
Disputing a transaction can compel the merchant to refund your payment if they cannot prove they provided the product or service as expected:
- File a dispute only after attempting to contact the merchant and requesting a Cash App refund without success.
- Log in to Cash App.
- Navigate to the Activity tab on the home screen.
- Find the fraudulent transaction and select it.
- Click on the icon resembling three small dots.
- Choose “Need Help & Cash App Support.”
- Opt for “Dispute this Transaction.”
The Cash App team will investigate your dispute once filed.
4. Report the Scam to Cash App
If you’ve exhausted the above options to recover from a fraudulent transaction, you can report the issue directly to Cash App:
- Log in to Cash App.
- Access your profile using the profile icon.
- Click on “Support.”
- Tap “Report a Payment Issue.”
- Select the fraudulent transaction and follow the provided instructions.
5. Report and Block the Account of the Scammer
Sometimes, a Cash App scam may involve a suspicious account rather than a specific payment. In such cases, report and block the potential scam account:
- Log in to Cash App.
- Search for the profile of the scam account.
- View the profile, scroll to the bottom, and select “Report” or “Block.” Follow the prompts.
6. Inform Your Bank of the Fraudulent Activity
If you’ve been a victim of fraud and your bank account or debit card is potentially compromised, contact your bank immediately. They can guide you on protecting your account from further fraud and potentially assist with disputing the fraudulent transaction.
7. Pause Your Credit Reporting
In cases where Cash App fraud extends beyond transactions, contact major credit bureaus to freeze your credit. This precaution prevents scammers from opening fraudulent accounts using your credit information.
8. Report the Scam to Authorities
Consider reporting the scam to government agencies like the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) or the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3). They require detailed information to identify both the victim and the scammer, along with specifics of the fraudulent transaction.
Common Scams on Cash App
Cash App is unfortunately a common target for scams. Here are a few common Cash App scams to be aware of:
1. Scam Payment Requests
Scammers often send deceptive payment requests to Cash App users. They may use fake profiles, pretending to be friends or legitimate businesses to dupe users into accepting these requests. In some cases, scammers even send money to the user and claim it was a mistake, asking for a refund. However, the initial funds may have come from a compromised account, leaving the user dealing with the aftermath of fraud.
2. Fraudulent or Spoofed Cash App Support Calls
Another prevalent scam involves individuals posing as Cash App support staff. They may contact you and request sensitive information like your password or PIN. Even seemingly innocent requests for confirmation can be part of their scheme. To safeguard yourself, hang up and independently call Cash App’s official support instead of trusting unsolicited calls.
3. Winning Prizes or Sweepstakes You Never Entered
Beware of scammers who claim you’ve won a prize or sweepstakes that you never entered. They may ask for a small fee or request your banking details to release your supposed winnings. Legitimate prize notifications do not require such actions. If you genuinely won something through Cash App, the company already has your information and can directly deposit your winnings into your account. Remain cautious and skeptical of unsolicited prize claims.
Will Cash App Refund My Money If I Get Scammed?
Whether you’re already a Cash App user concerned about potential fraud or considering using the app and wondering about its safety, your foremost question is probably this: Will Cash App provide a refund if you fall victim to a scam? The short answers is “Maybe.” If you follow the steps above, you’ll have maximized your chances of getting your money back.
How Long Does It Take for Cash App To Refund Money?
If you follow the required procedures and are fortunate enough to secure a refund, please note that it may take up to 10 business days for the refund to process once your request is approved. If you haven’t received your refund within this timeframe, be sure to reach out to Cash App support for further assistance.
How To Avoid Cash App Scams
To protect yourself from Cash App scams and scams in general, the essential strategy is to maintain a high level of skepticism.
- Refrain from responding to messages, calls, or requests from unfamiliar individuals.
- Avoid sharing your personal information with anyone.
- Only trust information and claims from individuals you know and can verify in person.
By adopting an exceptionally cautious and skeptical approach, you can effectively steer clear of numerous common Cash App scams.
- How to Withdraw Money from Cash App
- How to Close a Cash App Account
- How to Add a Credit Card to Cash App
- Activate Cash App Card – A Step-by-Step Guide
- Where Can I Load My Cash App Card?
If you need to get your money back (possibly before you close your Cash App account), there is a way to request a Cash App refund. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that your request will be successful. Therefore, it is very important to always check the details of the payment before you send it. If you have been scammed, you can dispute the payment in some situations. The final decision will be taken by Cash App customer support.
Getting a Refund on Cash App: Common FAQs
Cash App is a popular payment app that allows for easy money transfers between individuals. Occasionally, users may need to get a refund for a transaction. Here are some frequently asked questions about how to get a refund on Cash App.
1. Can I get a refund on Cash App?
Yes, it is possible to get a refund on Cash App. However, the refund process depends on the specific transaction. For example, if you’ve made a payment to someone you can request a refund directly from them. If your transaction is pending, you can cancel it which would essentially be a refund.
2. How can I request a refund from someone on Cash App?
To request a refund from someone on Cash App, you’ll need to:
- Go to the Cash App mobile app.
- Click on the “Activity” tab.
- Find the payment you want a refund for and click on it.
- Then, tap on the three dots in the top right corner.
- Tap “Request a Refund.”
- Follow the prompts to complete your refund request.
3. What if the person does not want to refund my money?
If the recipient refuses to refund your money, there’s not much Cash App can do. It’s always important to only send money to people you trust. If you’ve been scammed or have had issues with a business, you may need to dispute the charge with your bank or card issuer.
4. How long does a Cash App refund take?
Refunds on Cash App can take up to 10 business days depending on the processing time of the bank. Once the refund is processed on the Cash App, it will need to be processed by the bank before it appears in your account.
5. Can I cancel a Cash App payment?
Yes, you can cancel a Cash App payment but only if it’s still pending. Once a payment is completed, it can’t be canceled — you will have to request a refund from the recipient.