I’m a firm believer that information is the key to financial freedom. On the Stilt Blog, I write about the complex topics — like finance, immigration, and technology — to help immigrants make the most of their lives in the U.S. Our content and brand have been featured in Forbes, TechCrunch, VentureBeat, and more.See all posts Frank Gogol
How to Cancel Kindle Unlimited
Kindle is great for people who want access to books and information without having to search for the physical version everywhere. eBooks allow you to read various books while saving shelf space in your home.
Kindle Unlimited is an Amazon program, but while the name includes the word “Unlimited”, the account is not unlimited. For this reason and not only, many people decide to cancel this account. How to cancel Kindle Unlimited, though? Let’s find out!
How to Cancel Kindle Unlimited from the Kindle Account Page
One way to cancel your Kindle account is from the Kindle Account page. Sure, Kindle Unlimited may be one of the greatest services of this kind at the moment, but that doesn’t change the fact that some people have no need for it anymore or no longer want to pay for it.
If you want to stop using Kindle Unlimited, here is how you can cancel your subscription from the Kindle account page. Keep in mind that you should make sure to cancel the subscription before the next billing period if you do not want to be charged anymore.
- Go to your Amazon Kindle Unlimited page. Log into your account, and you will be presented with an overview of the Kindle Unlimited Subscription you own.
- Click the button that says “Cancel Kindle Unlimited Membership”. You will see it in the left-hand corner.
- Now, click on the button that says “Cancel Membership”.
- You will get a new page on your screen, one that asks “Are you sure you want to end your membership?” Once you see this, you should click on “Cancel membership”.
- Then, you will get a new window on your screen confirming the cancellation. It will also inform you that your subscription will still be available until the next renewal date, after which you cannot use it anymore.
How to Cancel Kindle Unlimited from the Amazon Account Page
Canceling your Kindle Unlimited Account is also possible from the Amazon account page. If you want to go this route, here are the steps you should go through:
- Go to the Amazon Website.
- Click on “Accounts & Lists”, and from the menu, click on Kindle Unlimited.
- From the Amazon Kindle Unlimited account page, you should log into your account unless you’ve done that already. By doing this, you will be able to see an overview of your Kindle Unlimited Subscription.
- Now, click on “Cancel Kindle Unlimited Membership”. This should be found in the left-hand corner.
- Select “Cancel Membership”.
- You will now get a new page opening, with the question “Are you sure you want to end your membership?” You can choose to keep it or cancel it. Click on “Cancel membership” to put an end to the subscription.
- Once your request is processed, you will receive a confirmation window on the screen. This will tell you the cancellation was successful, but also that you can keep using the current subscription until the upcoming renewal date.
Since Amazon will not close your subscription for Kindle Unlimited instantly, you can use its perks until the end of the billing cycle. Therefore, you can finish the eBooks you’ve downloaded in the meantime.
How to Know If Your Subscription Is Cancelled
It’s easy to find out if your Kindle Unlimited subscription was canceled. The cancellation will be confirmed at the end of the process, so you will always know that you did things the right way.
But if you want to be sure about it, there are some other ways to check whether your subscription is canceled or not. After all, double-checking is always recommended.
Check the Kindle Unlimited Account Page
An easy way to check the status of your subscription is by following the same steps presented above for accessing the account page. Go to your account page and then check for the end date of the subscription. It will tell you that you’ve already canceled the subscription.
The Amazon Kindle Unlimited account will show you a subscription overview, and a confirmed “End Date” will be there. In case the account has been canceled already, more specifically the End Date was reached, the account page will tell you that no Amazon Kindle Unlimited account exists.
Check the Registered Email
The great thing about having a subscription with Amazon is that they will always send you a notification when any change occurs to your account, order, subscription, and so on. So, if you want to make sure that you successfully canceled your account, you should check your registered email. There should be a confirmation from Amazon.
In the email, you will also find the date the subscription will be canceled as well as a “Continue Membership” button in case you will want to renew your membership at some point.
How to Renew Amazon Kindle Unlimited
If you want to renew your Amazon Kindle Unlimited subscription, all you have to do is either click the renewal link in the confirmation email or do it from the account page.
But if you already reached the end date, you should simply go through the same steps you did when you first signed up for the subscription.
- Go to Amazon and sign in to your account.
- Go to the sign-up page for Kindle Unlimited.
- Choose the preferred option. You can either get a monthly plan for $9.99 or a 6-month deal. The latter is usually available at a reduced price, but overall, the cost may be around $50.
A lot of digital services that are based on subscriptions do not offer people any options to stop a membership and keep the account at the same time. So, when you cancel the Kindle Unlimited subscription, you get rid of your account.
Also, you usually need to use another email. Luckily, Kindle is different, and you will only need to subscribe to Kindle if you want to use the service again. The best part about this is that renewing your subscription will bring all your notes and bookmarks back.
Kindle Unlimited Cancellation FAQ
There may still be some questions when it comes to canceling your Kindle Unlimited account, so if that’s the case, here are some of the most frequently asked ones:
Can I cancel my subscription at any time?
You can cancel your subscription whenever you want. However, you should know that you will not receive any refund. You already paid for the next month, so when you cancel, your subscription will be terminated only at the end of the billing cycle. You will not be billed on the renewal date, though.
Can I keep the books I’ve downloaded?
No, you cannot keep your books after the cancellation. So, you should check the renewal date if you want to cancel your subscription but still need to finish a book.
Does Amazon give refunds for subscriptions?
Refunds are rarely offered to people, and the policy only gives refunds in special situations. That being said, if you paid for a subscription with a renewal date of 30 days or more than that, you could cancel during the first 7 days and receive a refund.
- How to Cancel Discovery Plus
- How to Cancel SiriusXM
- How to Cancel HBO Max
- How to Cancel Sling TV
- How to Cancel EA Play
- How to Cancel ESPN Plus
Canceling your Kindle Unlimited subscription is not difficult, and you have several ways to do it. If you don’t need the subscription anymore, follow the steps in this post to cancel it.