Indian Passport Photo Requirements
Posted by Frank Gogol
Updated on June 13, 2022
At a Glance: Photos for Indian passports must be 2 x 2 inch, 35 x 45 mm, or 35 x 35 mm (5 x 5 cm, 3.5 x 4.5 cm, 3.5 x 3.5 cm). They must also have a white or off-white background, the person must look directly in the camera, the full face must be included, the person’s eyes should be open and wide, and there can’t be any distracting shadows or marks in the photo.
A passport is one of the most important legal documents a person can have. In India, getting a passport is a huge deal. It is a document that is rigorously checked and vetted by officials before it is issued to the applicant.
Before applying for a passport, you must get all of your approval documents in order. And one of the first things you need when applying for a passport is a professional passport-size photo.
In this guide, we cover everything there is to know about the Indian Passport and the photo requirements for it.
Table of Contents
What Size Photo Is Required for an Indian Passport?
The passport office in India has fixed criteria for the photograph required in an Indian Passport. If you’re applying for an Indian passport, you need to submit a photograph with the following dimensions: 2 x 2 inch, 35 x 45 mm, or 35 x 35 mm (5 x 5 cm, 3.5 x 4.5 cm, 3.5 x 3.5 cm).
What Are the Indian Passport Photo Requirements?
The Indian Passport office is extremely strict regarding its requirements for various documents, including the passport photograph. The following are the minimum requirements for an Indian Passport photo:
- The size of the photo should be 2 x 2-inch, 35 x 45 mm, or 35 x 35 mm (5 x 5 cm, 3.5 x 4.5 cm, 3.5 x 3.5 cm).
- The color of the background must be white or off-white.
- The person must look directly into the camera. No head tilt or pose is allowed.
- The photograph should contain the full face of the person. No profile or three-quarter photo is allowed.
- The person’s eyes should be open and wide in the photograph.
- There cannot be any distracting shadows or marks on the face or the background of the photograph.
Additional Guidelines to Keep in Mind While Taking a Passport Photo
- All head coverings must be removed, except for religious reasons. However, all facial features from the bottom of the cheek to the top of the forehead and both extreme edges of the face must be visible in the photograph.
- The face should be in the center of the photo frame.
- The eyes should be visible and open in the photograph. They should not be covered by hair or spectacles.
Adjusting the lighting on the face and background:
- The light on the face must be even and balanced to avoid any shadows covering the face.
- The background behind the individual must be appropriately illuminated to remove any shadows from the background.
- The photo should not be underexposed or overexposed. It makes the photo unusable.
- The photograph should be edited with three-point balanced lighting. This ensures that the facial features are clear and detailed in the photograph.
- It is best to use diffuse sources of lighting to avoid issues with lighting and shadows.
Physical and digital copies of the photograph:
- Be sure to take physical and digital copies of the photographs.
- Get the photograph printed on thin photo paper or stock paper.
- Ensure that the photograph is clear with a continuous-tone quality.
- Avoid any retouches or enhancements that distort the photograph in any way.
- Getting high-resolution printouts and digital copies is highly recommended.
- Pictures printed digitally should be produced without any visible pixels or dot patterns. Detailed facial features should be visible in the photograph.
Contrast and color:
- The contrast and brightness of the photograph should be adjusted appropriately to represent the individual and the background correctly.
- Without proper editing and contrast, the photo may miss out on the unique features of the individual.
- Editing should be done in such a manner to represent the natural skin tones and color of the individual.
- Using fluorescent lighting or other light sources may distort or unbalance the color of the photograph. It is best to use appropriate filters and lighting setup to eliminate such imbalance.
Eyeglasses and other necessary medical accessories:
- The glare on eyeglasses should be avoided with a slight upward and downward tilt of the head. Alternatively, the person can remove their eyeglasses while taking the photograph.
- No sunglasses or dark spectacles are allowed in the photograph.
Be sure to follow these guidelines, or else your passport application will be rejected immediately. You can easily get a professional-looking passport photograph by going to a photo studio or using an online passport photograph service.
Indian Passport Requirements for Babies, Infants, and Newborns
The passport photo requirements for babies, infants, and newborns are slightly different in comparison to children and adults.
Babies aged below a year are not required to have their eyes open in their passport photograph. For children under the age of 10, there is some relaxation in the height of the face, the position of the eyes, and the position of the face. There is also some relaxation on the facial expression and line of sight of the child.
Despite these relaxations, a frontal photograph of the child must be taken with complete clarity. The photograph should contain only the child and no external objects like chair backs, toys, or other people. The child should be looking into the camera with a neutral expression on their face and their mouth closed.
How to Get Passport Photos for Indian Passports Online
With greater advancements in technology, it has become easier to get passport photographs taken without going to a photo studio. Many websites online help create passport-size photos, especially if you need one immediately to submit to the passport office. The primary benefit of an online passport photo service is the ability to get a professional passport photograph for free. They allow users to crop and edit their pictures according to their needs manually. Users can get multiple pictures taken in multiple print sizes. It is also suitable for children and infants.
Based on your country and location, online passport photograph services provide users with a step-by-step guide to getting their photographs. Once you’ve selected your country of origin, all you need to do is upload your photograph, crop it appropriately, and submit the photograph. You can download the final product from their website or have it emailed to your account.
However, if you have the time, we suggest you go to a professional photo studio to get a high-quality passport-sized photograph taken and printed. A professional photo studio will ensure that you get a high-quality photograph without any distortions, shadows, or other possible issues with the photo.
- The Non-ECR Category: A Guide
- How to Renew an Indian Passport
- How to Renew Your Passport at the Post Office
- The Complete Guide to Having a Valid Visa on an Expired Passport
- How Long Does it Take to Get a Passport?
- Passport Name Change After Marriage
- Form DS-11 for Passport Applications
It is essential to get your documents in order before getting your official Indian Passport. With the help of this guide, you can get the perfect passport-size photograph taken for your Indian Passport.
Need a Loan? Get One in 3 Simple Steps
If you are considering applying for a personal loan, just follow these 3 simple steps.
Apply online for the loan amount you need. Submit the required documentation and provide your best possible application. Stronger applications get better loan offers.
If your application meets the eligibility criteria, the lender will contact you with regard to your application. Provide any additional information if required. Soon you’ll have your loan offer. Some lenders send a promissory note with your loan offer. Sign and return that note if you wish to accept the loan offer.
The loan then gets disbursed into your U.S. bank account within a reasonable number of days (some lenders will be as quick as 2-3 business days). Now you need to set up your repayment method. You can choose an autopay method online to help you pay on time every month.
Stilt provides loans to international students and working professionals in the U.S. (F-1, OPT, H-1B, O-1, L-1, TN visa holders) at rates lower than any other lender. Stilt is committed to helping immigrants build a better financial future.
We take a holistic underwriting approach to determine your interest rates and make sure you get the lowest rate possible.
Learn what others are saying about us on Google, Yelp, and Facebook or visit us at https://www.stilt.com. If you have any questions, send us an email at [email protected]