How to Set Up a PayPal Account
Posted by Frank Gogol
Setting up a PayPal account is a reasonably simple task. With PayPal, users can easily make bank transactions – transferring money to businesses and individuals, checking your bank statement, or setting up verification for essential documents.
While setting up the account is easy, we have created an in-depth guide that explains the process. There are specific basic requirements to set up a PayPal account- an active bank account and functional credit/debit cards. Without these two, your PayPal account is redundant. The final step in setting up the account is to verify the email address and mobile number.
Follow along to know more about what you need to set up a PayPal account.
Table of Contents
How to Set Up a PayPal Account: Step By Step
Signing up for PayPal is completely free. You can make purchases and send money to people for no cost or transaction fees on PayPal. If you have money on your PayPal account, you can use it to send money or buy things online. Transaction fees are applicable for credit and debit cards. Additional fees are levied if money is received or transferred from outside the United States.
There are few things required for setting up a PayPal account. This includes an already existing credit or debit card, recent bank statements for verification, and a photo ID like a passport or any other government-issued identification card.
Follow the step-by-step guide to set up your PayPal account:
- Open the PayPal website and click on the Sign-Up place on the top right corner of the webpage.
- Choose the type of account you need- Personal or Business and click on Continue.
- The page will ask you to enter your mobile number, followed by a verification process.
- Once your number is verified, you will be asked to enter your personal details. This includes your name, email address, and password for the account. Then, click Continue to forward with the application.
- Be sure to verify your email address by clicking on the link sent to your email account.
- Next, you will be asked to enter your current address and associated information. Once entered, click on Continue.
- Optional step- Click on the Get Started button to enter in your bank details- this includes your card details and bank-related information.
- You are now ready to use your PayPal account!
PayPal offers its customers two types of accounts – Personal and Business, which essentially cover most interests and needs of people.
A personal PayPal account is for those who wish to make simple transactions like sending money to friends and family or online shopping. Business accounts provide more complicated functions that include accepting other debit and credit cards for payment, operating under a company name, giving access to more than 200 company employees, and a separate email account to deal with customer care issues. PayPal also offers a Pro version of their services, useful for big businesses handling multiple transactions and accounts. PayPal Pro is designed to optimize cash flows coming to a business.
How to Verify Your PayPal Account
For purposes of safety, it is important to verify your PayPal account before it is operational. The verification process begins with you linking your bank account or debit/credit card with PayPal. For this, you need to go to PayPal and choose the Pay and Get Paid Tab. Under the Wallet section, choose Banks and Cards. Choose your bank and enter the cards you need to verify.
Verifying Credit And Debit Cards
If you choose to use your debit/credit cards, you need to check PayPal’s policy and charge on credit card statements. You need a four-digit code to verify the card. Here is a step-by-step guide to verifying your credit/debit card:
- Open PayPal and log in to your account.
- Click on the Pay and Get Paid tab
- In the Wallets section, go to the Banks and Cards section to verify the card
- Select your bank account and the card you want to verify
- Check the bank statement and card activity on PayPal’s interface
- Enter the four-digit code and click confirm.
- You have now verified your cards, and they are ready to use!
If you are opening a PayPal account outside the US, be sure to activate international transactions on your credit/debit card.
How to Add a Bank Account to a PayPal Account
The process of verifying a bank account is like that of credit/debit cards. An additional factor is the deposits made by PayPal to your bank account. To verify the account, PayPal makes two deposits of random amounts, between $0.01 and $0.99. Once the deposit is made, PayPal will ask you to verify the transaction by entering the four-digit code. Once the verification is done, PayPal reverses the transaction. Thus, your bank account has been verified.
Additional bank accounts require their own verification. It is important to note that PayPal can initiate a verification at any given time, especially if it detects unusual or large transactions being made. This policy varies from country to country. This policy is used to detect fraud or tax evasion.
How to Add a Credit Card to a PayPal Account
Credit cards are a great way to shop and accrue benefits. Here is how you can add new credit cards to your PayPal account.
- Open the PayPal website
- Click on the Pay and Get Paid Tab
- Click on the Wallet tab at the top of the page
- Locate the Link a debit or credit card tab on the left-hand side of the page
- Click on the link and follow the instructions to add your credit card
It is important to note that all additional credits added need to go through individual verification checks before being used on PayPal. These are security measures used by PayPal to keep fraud and scams under check, and user accounts safe.
This is it! You now have a fully active PayPal account. We have covered everything there is to know about setting up a PayPal account. The process is straightforward, and it barely takes fifteen minutes to set up. You can use the desktop website or the mobile app to access your PayPal account. Having a PayPal account makes managing finances much easier, especially when most transactions have gone digital. Using PayPal makes everyday transactions streamlined, functional, and easy. It is a widely accepted service with thousands of happy customers.