What Is a Refugee Travel Document?

Posted by in Immigrants | Updated on August 24, 2022

Categories: Asylum

Refugees and asylees in the United States may feel the need to travel outside of the country. For this, they’ll need a passport. But refugees are often not in possession of a passport issued by their home country. In such cases, a refugee travel document becomes essential. If you want to learn more about the refugee travel document, this article is for you.

Refugee Travel Document

The United States has always been at the forefront of international humanitarian programs. It has accepted people of all nationalities who are vulnerable in their own country as refugees or asylees. The U.S. accepts about 30,000 refugees every year, although this may decrease to 18,000 in the future.

Refugees and asylees staying in the U.S. might have to travel abroad because for personal or official purposes. But since they do not have a proper passport, they will not be able to enter and exit other countries.

To help them, the U.S. government is offering something known as a refugee travel document. If you hold refugee status, this will allow you to travel abroad and preserve your right to enter the U.S. once your return.

Consider the travel document the equivalent of the U.S. passport for refugees and asylees.

More than 145 countries recognize the refugee travel document issued by the U.S. government. These countries are members of the Convention Relating to the States of Refugees. If the country you’re going to travel to is a part of the Convention, then you can use this document instead of a passport.

When Are You Eligible for a Refugee Travel Document?

There is a set group of people who can apply for a refugee travel document. Those are:

  • Refugees and asylee status holders
  • A legal permanent resident who obtained their green card due to their refugee/asylee status

You must be physically present in the United States when applying for this document. But there will be circumstances where you can get it from outside the U.S. at a consulate. If you traveled abroad because of an emergency, then this will be an accepted cause.

LPRs need not apply for a refugee travel document. The green card is more than enough to return to the U.S. after overseas travel. But since most of them have fled their native country, they choose not to use that country’s passport. Moreover, using a refugee travel document makes the traveling process much easier.

Documents Required to Apply for a Refugee Travel Document

Applicants for refugee travel documents are required to submit certain documents to be considered. This is required for Form I-131, which you’ll be filling out as part of the application process.

Here are the documents you’re required to submit:

  • Evidence that you hold refugee or asylee status (photocopies of signed orders by an immigration judge would do)
  • An official photo ID that contains your name and date of birth
  • Two passport-sized photographs that meet all the requirements
  • Filing fee receipts

If your ID cards are issued in a foreign language — anything other than English — you’re required to submit an English copy of them. Along with that, you must submit a certificate of translation.

There might be other documents that you must submit as directed by officials.

How to Apply for a Refugee Travel Document

To apply for a refugee travel document, you must complete and submit Form I-131, Application for Travel Document. It is a 5-page form that’s available for download. Here’s a brief overview of the form:

Part 1: Information About You

The first section of the form will ask you about your personal information. You will submit details like your name, physical address, country of birth, Social Security number, and A-number.

Part 2: Application Type

This is the most important part. Here, you must specify the type of application. You must select 1.b from the option: “I now hold U.S. refugee or asylee status and I am applying for a Refugee Travel Document.” People applying for parole and an advance parole document also submit this form. Hence, it’s important to categorize yourself accordingly.

Part 3: Processing Information

In this part, you will specify details like the date of intended departure, expected length of the trip, if you’ve ever been issued a reentry permit, and questions along those lines.

Part 4: Information About Your Proposed Travel

This is where you have to specify the details about your proposed travel. Where you’re going, for what exact reasons, where you’re planning to stay, the people you’re going to meet, and anything else the officials should know.

If you’re planning on a multi-country trip, specify the number of countries.

Part 5: Complete Only if Applying for a Reentry Permit

Only complete this part of the form if you also need a reentry permit. Usually, if you’re going to be away for more than one year, you’d need a reentry permit to enter the U.S.

Once you’ve submitted the form, you might be asked to attend a biometric interview.

The USCIS might take somewhere between two to six months to issue the refugee travel document, so you should apply months in advance.

Note: Do Not Travel to the Country You Are Feeling Persecution From

Although not strictly prohibited, you shouldn’t travel back to the country that is persecuting you. This is because traveling to that country would allow USCIS officials to reconsider your asylee status. Since you’re traveling to the country, it might indicate that you’re no longer unsafe in that country. So the USCIS may revoke your refugee status and deny you reentry into the U.S.

Green card holders who obtained LPR status after successfully completing one year of living in the U.S. could lose their green card if they return to their previous country.

But all these things are at the discretion of the USCIS.

Form I-131 asks you questions about your plans to return to the country you’re feeling persecution from and if you’ve received or are receiving any benefits from that country.

You must answer these questions honestly to avoid problems later on.

Reentering the U.S. After Travel

Traveling outside the U.S. when you’re on refugee or asylee status is considered risky in general. Therefore, if possible, you should wait until you get your green card.

Even if you’ve traveled outside with valid documents, you might be denied entry into the U.S. after travel. Your right to reenter the U.S. is reevaluated for your eligibility to be “admissible” to the U.S. Inadmissible grounds range from immigration law violation to disease infection.

Read More


If you’re considering traveling outside the U.S. with a refugee travel document, you should consult with an experienced attorney to be on the safe side.

Need a Loan? Get One in 3 Simple Steps

If you are considering applying for a personal loan, just follow these 3 simple steps.


Apply online for the loan amount you need. Submit the required documentation and provide your best possible application. Stronger applications get better loan offers.


If your application meets the eligibility criteria, the lender will contact you with regard to your application. Provide any additional information if required. Soon you’ll have your loan offer. Some lenders send a promissory note with your loan offer. Sign and return that note if you wish to accept the loan offer.


The loan then gets disbursed into your U.S. bank account within a reasonable number of days (some lenders will be as quick as 2-3 business days). Now you need to set up your repayment method. You can choose an autopay method online to help you pay on time every month.


About Stilt

Stilt provides loans to international students and working professionals in the U.S. (F-1, OPT, H-1B, O-1, L-1, TN visa holders) at rates lower than any other lender. Stilt is committed to helping immigrants build a better financial future.

We take a holistic underwriting approach to determine your interest rates and make sure you get the lowest rate possible. 

Learn what others are saying about us on Google, Yelp, and Facebook or visit us at https://www.stilt.com. If you have any questions, send us an email at [email protected]