Change of status from a B2 to an F1 Visa

Posted by in Immigrants | Updated on August 24, 2022

The United States immigration process is tough and competitive. On the other hand, it also allows you to switch between certain visas. Tens of millions of people apply for visas each year. The majority of them are tourists who come into the United States for a short period. They have the option of changing to a student visa if interested. In this article, we’ll explain how to change your visa status from B2 to F1 visa.

Switching From B2 Visa To An F1 Visa

Both B2 and F1 visas are categorized as nonimmigrant visas. Therefore, you can always switch from B2 to F1. But before that, let’s explore each visa in detail.

What is a B2 Visa?

The B2 visa is among the most common visas issued to non-immigrants. This is also known as the Visitor visa and allows individuals to enter the US and stay for a short, specific amount of time. This is mainly used for tourism, visiting your family and friends, or medical treatment purposes. Certain athletes and individuals coming in to attend social conventions are also granted a B2 visa.

This is temporary in nature with a validity of somewhere between 1 month to 10 years. After it has expired, you’re no longer permitted to stay in the US and have to return to your native country.

What is an F1 Visa?

 F1 Visa is for a certain group of international students who want to study in the United States. The enrollment can be in a university, college, high school, language training program, or any USICE recognized academic institution. After completion, you’ll get your certificate or degree from the institute and wish to carry on further if you want to.

F1 visas are valid until the duration of your course in most cases. There are other types of students visas, as well as the J and M visa. So, check which student visa type is suitable for your cause.

How to Change Status from a B2 to an F1 Visa?

Applying for Change of Status from B-2 to F-1

If you indeed entered the United States as a visitor with no intention of studying but later became interested in a study program, then you can apply for changing your visa status from visitor to student.

For this, you have to submit the change of status form, which is Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status. It is an 8-page form and will ask you about personal and immigration details. When filing it up, you need to keep in mind that you’re applying for a change and not an extension. So answer the questions accordingly. After completing the form, you can send it via mail.

You’re also required to submit appropriate documents along with the form. Some of them are:

  • Form I-20
  • Financial documents showing that you can afford your education
  • Proof you intend to leave the U.S. upon completing your studies

USCIS will determine your preconceived intent of study separately. If you’ve got any evidence supporting this, you can attach it too. These should briefly demonstrate how you develop your interest in studying after coming into the States.

B2 to F1 Change of Status Processing Time


Change of Status vs. Applying for a New F1 Visa

If USCIS determines you had a preconceived intent to study, then you’ll be denied the change of status.  So the option you’re left with is to go back to your country and apply for a new F1 visa from scratch. You’ll have to go through the entire process and get the necessary F1 visa. 

Depending upon the program you’re applying for, student visas are usually processed faster than USCIS processes your change of status. This is because there are very few verifications required in case of a new F1 visa than the ones involved in the change of status. Therefore, you need to weigh in your options carefully before adopting a particular method.

Read More

Need a Loan? Get One in 3 Simple Steps

If you are considering applying for a personal loan, just follow these 3 simple steps.


Apply online for the loan amount you need. Submit the required documentation and provide your best possible application. Stronger applications get better loan offers.


If your application meets the eligibility criteria, the lender will contact you with regard to your application. Provide any additional information if required. Soon you’ll have your loan offer. Some lenders send a promissory note with your loan offer. Sign and return that note if you wish to accept the loan offer.


The loan then gets disbursed into your U.S. bank account within a reasonable number of days (some lenders will be as quick as 2-3 business days). Now you need to set up your repayment method. You can choose an autopay method online to help you pay on time every month.


About Stilt

Stilt provides loans to international students and working professionals in the U.S. (F-1, OPT, H-1B, O-1, L-1, TN visa holders) at rates lower than any other lender. Stilt is committed to helping immigrants build a better financial future.

We take a holistic underwriting approach to determine your interest rates and make sure you get the lowest rate possible. 

Learn what others are saying about us on Google, Yelp, and Facebook or visit us at If you have any questions, send us an email at [email protected]