The Complete Guide to Transferring from DACA to Green Card

Posted by Frank Gogol

DACA is the acronym used for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. DACA holders are commonly referred to as Dreamers.

Dreamers are in the U.S. because their parents came to America illegally with the American Dream in mind and brought them along. Without DACA, Dreamers would be deported as they technically have no legal basis to be in the U.S. With DACA, they are allowed to stay in the U.S. and also allowed to work. But, can you go from DACA to Green Card? What are your options in the future to make your life in the U.S. more permanent? Let’s take a look!

Can DACA Recipients Get Green Cards?

The answer is yes, in certain circumstances DACA recipients can get Green Cards. You just need to comply with the eligibility criteria we explain below.

Even though you can get a work permit, driver’s license, and a social security number with DACA, having DACA still has its challenges. For example, many Dreamers find it difficult to get DACA car loans.

Getting a Green Card has a lot of advantages. Unlike DACA, a Green Card does not, for example, have to be renewed every two years. It grants you the right to live and work in the U.S. on a more permanent basis. Even though there are DACA loans available out there, you will probably find it a lot easier to apply for financial services and loans if you have a Green Card.

So, let’s take a look at how you can transition from DACA to Green Card through marriage.

Two Ways to Transition from DACA to Green Card Through Marriage

Getting married to get a Green Card is not a good idea. But, if you are in the fortunate position of having a spouse who also happens to be a U.S. citizen, you can take advantage of the option to get a Green Card.

A U.S. spouse is viewed as an immediate relative which provides you with the eligibility to apply for immigration. There are two ways in which you can apply for a Green Card by being married to a U.S. citizen.

Consular Processing

Many DACA’s married to U.S. citizens don’t yet have a legal entry into the U.S. They also can’t get Advance Parole to regain immediate access (as instituted by the Trump administration).

So, for this type of status change, you need to apply for your immigration visa (Green Card) at a U.S. consulate or embassy in a foreign country. This is the best option for applicants who have not yet gotten a legal entry into the U.S.

Follow these steps to go from Data to Green Card through consular processing:

  1. Establish eligibility – By being married to a U.S. citizen you are automatically eligible. You just need valid proof of your marriage.
  2. Get an I-130 petition approved – You need to complete and file an I-130 petition with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services). Your spouse is the petitioner and you are the beneficiary. You will receive an I-797 Notice of Action in the mail once it is approved.
  3. Get your visa number from the NVC – The National Visa Center (NVC) will notify you as soon as there is a visa number for your I-797. The good news is there are an unlimited amount of visas for petition based on immediate relatives (a U.S. citizen spouse).
  4. Apply for an immigrant visa – The NVC will notify you when you can submit your immigrant visa processing fees, visa application and supporting documentation. You will complete and submit a form DS-260. Your spouse may also be required to submit a form I-864 (Affidavit of Support) in which they promise to support you if you are not able to do so yourself.
  5. Attend consular processing – Once everything is submitted and received, the consular office will schedule a meeting with you (the beneficiary) to decide the outcome of your application. You will receive a Visa Packet once you have been approved.
  6. Enter the U.S. – You may cross the border with your Visa Packet. The border officer will allow you entry as a permanent resident once you’ve been cleared to enter. Your Green Card will be mailed to your registered U.S. address.

Be patient during this process. It can take up to 12 months to get a successful outcome.

Personal Loans
 for DACA Recipients!

Check Loan Options

Loans for up to $35,000. No cosigner required. No prepayment penalty.

Adjustment of Status

You can perform adjustment of status within the U.S. borders if you are already in the U.S. It’s important that you maintained your DACA status throughout your time here.

Follow these steps to go from DACA to Green Card through an adjustment of status:

  1. Establish eligibility – You need valid proof of your marriage to a U.S. citizen spouse.
  2. Fulfill eligibility for Adjustment of Status – You must be physically present in the U.S., you need to make a lawful entry into the U.S., and have an approved and current I-130 petition.
  3. File your application – File the I-130 application with the USCIS.
  4. Attend immigration appointments – The USCIS will inform you via mail about a biometric screening appointment. They take your photo, fingerprints, and signature at this appointment to perform a mandatory criminal background check. A few months later, you and your spouse need to attend an interview where the submitted information of the I-130 petition is verified. The USCIS will sometimes waive the necessity for the last appointment.
  5. Wait for your Green Card – Once all information has been approved the USCIS will mail your Green Card to your registered address.

This whole process can take up to 12 months.

INA 245(a)

As a Dreamer, you will probably have heard about INA 245(a) before. Put simply, this is the piece of legislation that enables you to go from DACA to Green Card.

Generally, a person who has lived in the U.S. unlawfully (such as Dreamers) must spend a prescribed period of time outside of the U.S. before they are allowed to re-enter lawfully and apply for immigrant visas. But, under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) 245(a), having a lawful entry into the U.S. as a Dreamer can waive the period you would originally be barred from entering.

Requirements for DACA to Green Card Applicants Married to U.S. Citizen

To make things a little simpler we’ll explain some of the requirements listed above. So, let’s take a look at the basic requirements for a Dreamer to get a Green Card.

Legal Entry

Your first entry into the U.S. when you came with your parents was unlawful. You need to make a lawful entry based on an exit for one of the three reasons:

  • Humanitarian reasons – a medical appointment (a dental appointment will suffice)
  • For educational purposes like studying
  • Employment reasons

Many DACA’s may even already have a legal entry due to previous overseas trips.

Eligible for Immigrant Visa

You are eligible for an immigrant visa based on a legal entry and a valid petition that is filed with the USCIS. You will, therefore, be eligible through the I-130 petition.

Immediate Availability

There is no limit on the number of visas available for immigrants who married a U.S. citizen. A visa is, therefore, immediately available for you (just keep in mind the 8-12 month processing periods).


Grab hold of every opportunity and go from DACA to Green Card if you have the chance. Your marriage to a U.S. citizen can help you become a permanent resident in the U.S. So, Get your status changed from DACA to Green Card and make your dreams a reality!

Read previous post:
TN Visa Taxes: The Complete Guide

Figuring out your taxes as a TN visa holder is a formidable task. You have to worry about residency status,...