50 Top Pharmacy Schools in the U.S.
Posted by Frank Gogol
If you are interested in becoming a pharmacist, it will definitely be worthwhile to do your research on the top pharmacy schools in the U.S. You’d want to make sure you get as much exposure as possible to this unique and groundbreaking field. To help you out, we take a closer look at the current top 5 pharmacy schools in the U.S. Then we’ll list the latest top 50 schools in order.
Read on to learn more, or check out our video Top 25 Pharmacy Schools in the US!
Table of Contents
Top 5 Pharmacy Schools in the U.S.
1. University of North Carolin – Chapel Hill
There are three distinctive degree programs available at the University of North Carolina Eshelman School of Pharmacy:
- Doctor of Pharmacy
- Pharm.D. program
- Ph.D. program
The Ph.D. program provides unique research experiences and a specially-tailored curriculum for advanced training in drug development, drug delivery, and drug policy.
2. University of Minnesota
The University of Minnesota’s College of Pharmacy offers a very wide range of programs in the pharmaceutical field. These include:
- A Doctor of Pharmacy
- Various graduate programs including Medicinal Chemistry and Integrated Biological Sciences
- Dual Degree Programs
- A Postgraduate Pharmacy Residency Program
- Continuing Professional Development
The University of Minnesota’s College of Pharmacy believes patient care is at the center of pharmacy practice. Their Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) Professional Program is therefore aimed at educating students to become generalist pharmacy practitioners. The dual degree programs include a PharmD/MBA Dual Degree Program and a PharmD/MPH Dual Degree Program.
You can read more about the different programs here.
3. University of California San Francisco (UCSF)
The UCSF School of Pharmacy offers various degree programs, as well as postdoctoral and international programs. There are even career-development and leadership courses available.
UCSF School of Pharmacy’s degree programs include the following single and combined degree programs:
- Master of Translational Medicine degree program
Their Ph.D. graduate degree programs include:
- Ph.D. in Bioengineering (BioE)
- Ph.D. in Biological and Medical Informatics (Bioinformatics pathway) (BI)
- Ph.D. in Biophysics (BP)
- Ph.D. in Chemistry and Chemical Biology (CCB)
- Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Sciences & Pharmacogenomics (PSPG)
4. University of Michigan – Ann Arbor
The University of Michigan College of Pharmacy offers a wide range of programs you can choose from. These include a PharmD program, a Ph.D. in Clinical Pharmacy, Ph.D. in Medical Chemistry, and many more.
The University of Michigan also offers unique dual programs such as a Dual PharmD and MBA Program, and Dual PharmD and MPH Program.
5. University of Texas – Austin
You can enroll in a Pharm.D. Program, various specialized graduate study programs, and advanced professional training and research at the University of Texas College of Pharmacy.
Areas of research this pharmaceutical college focuses on is:
- Chemical Biology & Drug Discovery
- Environmental & Developmental Mechanisms of Health and Disease
- Health Outcomes, Economics, and Equity Research
- Infectious Diseases
- Molecular Mechanisms of Cancer
- Neuropharmacology and Addiction
- Translational Research in Drug Delivery
To find out more details about the various programs the University of Texas College of Pharmacy offers, take a look at their website here.
Top 50 Ranking U.S. Pharmacy Schools
- University of North Carolin – Chapel Hill
- University of Minnesota
- University of California – San Francisco
- University of Michigan – Ann Arbor
- University of Texas – Austin
- Ohio State University
- University of Illinois – Chicago
- University of Kentucky
- Purdue University
- University of Florida
- University of Maryland – Baltimore
- University of Pittsburgh
- University of Southern California
- University of Washington
- University of Wisconsin – Madison
- University of Arizona
- University of Iowa
- University of Tennessee Health Science Center
- University of Utah
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- University of Kansas
- University at Buffalo – SUNY
- University of Colorado – Denver
- University of Mississippi
- Auburn University (Harrison)
- University of California – San Diego
- University of Georgia
- University of Nebraska Medical Center
- University of Oklahoma
- Medical University of South Carolina
- Rutgers University – Piscataway (Mario)
- University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
- Northeastern University
- University of Cincinnati
- University of Connecticut
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
- University of Missouri – Kansas City
- Wayne State University (Applebaum)
- West Virginia University
- Creighton University
- Oregon State University
- University of the Sciences – Philadelphia College of Pharmacy & Science
- Washington State University
- St. Louis College of Pharmacy
- University of Houston
- University of New Mexico
- Butler University
- Drake University
- Duquesne University (Mylan)
- Mercer University
The great news is your options are not few and far between when it comes to finding the top pharmacy schools in the U.S. There are many great schools you can choose from in your pursuit of finding the top pharmacy school. We wish you well in deciding which one of these amazing schools you will attend.