How International Students Can Get a Car Loan

Updated on October 12, 2023
At a Glance: Yes, there are auto loans available for international students in the U.S. While most lenders consider immigrants high-risk borrowers, personal loans can be a viable option for international students who need a car. To get started, you’ll need a driver’s license, auto insurance, and an auto loan. Specific documentation is required for the loan application, such as a finance qualification form, visa, employment letter, payment documents, and proof of lawful presence. Stilt is a service that offers loans designed for immigrants, including international students, without requiring a social security number or U.S. credit history. They provide a streamlined application process and low-interest rates.

The American way of life is appealing to many, but not everyone realizes how important vehicles are to this way of life. With more than 272 vehicles on the road, cars are a heavily institutionalized and an integral part of American society. If you’re one of the 1,095,299 international students on an F-1/OPT visa in the United States, there’s a very real chance you’re in need of a car.

But can international students get cars in the U.S.? Is there care financing for international students? Are there car loans for international students in the USA? The answers to these questions more are below. Read to learn more!

Are there International Student Auto Loans in the U.S.?

The short answer is “yes” there are auto loans for international students in the U.S. In theory, outside of federal student aid, international students and visa holders could qualify for most loans in the United States. The problem is that most lenders don’t want to work with non-U.S. citizens because they view immigrants as high-risk borrowers.

That doesn’t mean that you can’t get an international student auto loan in the U.S., though. Personal loans (discussed in more detail below) are a viable and immigrant-friendly loan option for international students who need a car in the U.S.

The 3 Requirements You Need for an International Student Car Loan

First things first: buying and driving a car in the United States. It’s definitely possible for foreign nationals, but the process of getting there is a bit lengthier. There are three things you need to get started:

  • A driver’s license
  • Auto insurance
  • An auto loan

You Need a Driver’s License – If you’re staying long-term, as in the case of F1, H1B, and H4 visa holders, you may apply for a US driver’s license. You must have the required documentation to apply at a local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), including Form DS 2019, Form I-94, a passport with visa, proof of legal presence or residence, a Social Security Number or Form SSA-L676, and any other documentation required by your particular state DMV. For international students, the Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) has a detailed fact sheet and set of resources to help aid foreign students get a driver’s license.

You Need Auto Insurance – US law requires all drivers to have insurance. You will not be able to acquire an auto loan without it. In some states, you will not even be able to apply for a driver’s license without auto insurance. Luckily, there are few barriers for international students and expats who need to find auto insurance in the US.

You Need an Auto Loan – While some international students have the funds required to purchase a car outright, most do not. There are not a lot of financial institutions in the US that will provide an auto loan for international students or working professionals. The tricky part isn’t just gathering all of the required documents for the loan application. The required documents will vary from institution to institution and from state to state so it would be best to collect everything.

Required Documents for Auto Loan as Foreign National

To get an international student car loan in the U.S. as a visa holder, you will need to provide some specific documentation:

  • Finance Qualification Form
  • A visa
  • A letter of employment
  • Payment Documents
  • Proof of Lawful Presence

Finance Qualification Form – provide information about your employment, living, and financial situation.

Visa – Acceptable visas include F-1, H-1B, L-1, J-1, O-1, and TN, among others.

Letter from Employer – This should confirm your employment, salary, benefits, and terms of employment.

Payment Documents – Bring copies of your utilities, rent, phone bill, cable, medical/life insurance, etc.

Proof of Lawful Presence – These documents include a green card, driver’s license, EAD card or your visa.

How to Get a Personal Loan to Use as an International Student Car Loan

Stilt provides loans specifically-designed for the immigrant community in the U.S., especially F1 visa holders and international students. To borrower with Stilt all you have to do is:

Apply – The first step in taking an F1 student car loan with Stilt is to fill out our application online. There’s no cosigner, no social security number, and no U.S. credit history required to apply. Once you’ve applied, you’ll receive a decision with 24 hours.

Receive a Loan Offer – If your application is approved, you will receive a loan offer via email. From there, you will be asked to provide the relevant documents (which will vary by loan type but typically include things like your visa and proof of income). Once your documents have been uploaded, they’ll be reviewed. If your loan is approved, your funds will be disbursed and will enter your bank account usually within 48 hours.

Start Making Payments – Once you’ve received your funds, the only thing to do is start making monthly payments toward your loan.

Can International Students Get Loans Down Payments

Yes, international students can get loans in the U.S. to help cover the cover of a car down payment. In fact, a sizable down payment can lead to reduced interest rates and monthly payments as well as significant savings. To learn more about loans for auto down payments, click here.

What if I am Unsure about Buying a Car in the U.S.?

Buying a car is a large, expensive undertaking and it doesn’t always make sense for every international student. If you’re unsure if buying a car is the right move for you, you can check our guide about renting, leasing, and buying a car in the U.S. as an F1 student.

Next Steps:

The next and most important step is acquiring financing to pay for your car. While many Americans simply apply for a loan while at a dealership, if you’re a foreign national, you may have some issues.

While some banks may offer you an auto loan, most will not. You could try your luck, or instead, you could use a service like Stilt. Companies like Stilt help non-US citizens acquire low-interest rate loans. The founders of the company recognized how difficult it is to get a loan without a credit score, which is the case for most non-US citizens.

Stilt can help automate much of the loan or loan refinance process for international students or working professionals. No SSN is required to apply for a loan, the interest rates on the loans Stilt offers are low, and the company can help immigrants deal with currency conversions and fluctuations instead of having them ask their parents for money. Many of the common issues non-US citizens face when applying for a loan can be avoided by using services like Stilt.

Read More

I agree to have my personal information transfered to MailChimp ( more information )
Join over 100,000 visitors who are receiving our newsletter and learn more about finance, immigration, and more!
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.

Frank Gogol

I’m a firm believer that information is the key to financial freedom. On the Stilt Blog, I write about the complex topics — like finance, immigration, and technology — to help immigrants make the most of their lives in the U.S. Our content and brand have been featured in Forbes, TechCrunch, VentureBeat, and more.