International Bank Cards/Forex Cards – moving from India to the U.S.
Posted by Rohit Mittal
Updated on April 25, 2022
What is an International Bank Card/ Forex Card?
A Forex card is similar to a prepaid ATM card, which lets you withdraw money from an ATM in a foreign country, in their local currency.
When you purchase a forex card, you need to top up the card with at least minimum balance in Indian currency; the amount is then converted into dollars (or any other foreign currency), on the same day at the prevalent exchange rate.
As per RBI regulations, an Indian citizen going abroad for a general visit cannot take more than $10,000 in a year with him abroad in paper/plastic money (cards). But, the rule is different for educational trips.
As per FEMA (Foreign Exchange Management Act) regulation, a student going abroad for education may be sent a maximum of $1,00,000 or equivalent during the financial year.
Some Points to Remember…….
- Check your forex card balance online, as checking balance in ATMs is chargeable.
- Even though you can check your forex card balance online, but you can’t transfer funds from your forex card to your bank account.
- Most forex cards levy a fee per ATM withdrawal abroad, there is also a limit to your daily withdrawal.
- Make sure you authorize your parent/ sponsor to load money into your forex card before you leave.
Popular Forex Cards options when Moving from India to the U.S.
Some of the popular banks offering forex cards in India are- HDFC, ICICI, AXIS, IDBI, STANDARD CHARTERED, CITIBANK, ING VYASA, DHANLAXMI BANK, STATE BANK OF INDIA.
Fees and Charges of different banks on Forex Cards for U.S. Dollars
|Bank Name||Initial Card Fee||Reload Fee||Replacement Fee||ATM Cash Withdrawal Fee||Daily Withdrawal Limit||Balance Inquiry Fee|
|HDFC||INR 125||INR 75||NA||$2||NA||$0.50|
|ICICI||INR 150||INR 100||$20 if lost in foreign country and $3 if lost in India||$1.50||$2000||$0.50|
|AXIS||INR 150||INR 100||$3||$2||$10,000 Please Confirm with Bank||$0.50|
|IDBI||$3||$2||$2||$1.50||$20,000 Please Confirm with Bank||$0.55|
|STANDARD CHARTERED||INR 250||INR 100||INR 400 if collected from India and $4 if collected from Abroad||NA||Unlimited||NA|
|INGVYSYA||INR 125||INR 75||$3||$2||Unlimited||$0.50|
|CITIBANK||Please Confirm with Bank||Please Confirm with Bank||$2||$1.75||Unlimited||NA|
|DHANLAXMI BANK||INR 150||INR 100||INR 150 for the Card. INR 1500 additional for courier outside India and INR 250 in India||$1.50||Unlimited||$0.50|
|STATE BANK OF INDIA||INR 110||INR 55||$5||$1.75||$1000||Please Confirm with Bank|
(Source: http://usgraduatesblog.com/forex-cards-fees-and-charges-of-different-banks/ )
Note: To find updated fees and charges, you may visit the bank’s official site.
Additional Points to be considered while choosing a Forex Card
- Most banks do not provide a forex card without an account in their bank.
- Most banks charge additional taxes on issuance and reload fee, in addition to above-mentioned fees.
- Some banks may charge a currency conversion fee, in case you make transactions in a currency different from that you had initially asked for.
- Some Banks charge for the new ATM Pin to be issued if you have forgotten your ATM Pin.
- Other than banks, companies like Thomas Cook, Matrix, and other travel agencies, also provide prepaid forex cards.
Benefits of Forex Cards
- A single card for multiple destinations.
- Stay protected from currency fluctuations.
- Wide acceptability, with withdrawal options in multiple currencies.
- Easy to use and carry.
- Protects against theft.
- 24×7 access to your funds.
- Some banks also offer exclusive dining privileges and added benefits.
- Most banks also offer insurance coverage incase of an accident or mishap.
Table of Contents
- How to Cash a Check Without an ID
- Where to Get a Cashier’s Check Without a Bank Account
- How to Close Chase Account
- How To Sign Over a Check
- How to Close Bank of America Account
- What is the Chase ATM Withdrawal Limit?
Need a Loan? Get One in 3 Simple Steps
If you are considering applying for a personal loan, just follow these 3 simple steps.
Apply online for the loan amount you need. Submit the required documentation and provide your best possible application. Stronger applications get better loan offers.
If your application meets the eligibility criteria, the lender will contact you with regard to your application. Provide any additional information if required. Soon you’ll have your loan offer. Some lenders send a promissory note with your loan offer. Sign and return that note if you wish to accept the loan offer.
The loan then gets disbursed into your U.S. bank account within a reasonable number of days (some lenders will be as quick as 2-3 business days). Now you need to set up your repayment method. You can choose an autopay method online to help you pay on time every month.
Stilt provides loans to international students and working professionals in the U.S. (F-1, OPT, H-1B, O-1, L-1, TN visa holders) at rates lower than any other lender. Stilt is committed to helping immigrants build a better financial future.
We take a holistic underwriting approach to determine your interest rates and make sure you get the lowest rate possible.
Learn what others are saying about us on Google, Yelp, and Facebook or visit us at https://www.stilt.com. If you have any questions, send us an email at [email protected]