Rohit Mittal is the co-founder and CEO of Stilt. Rohit has extensive experience in credit risk analytics and data science. He spent years building credit risk and fraud models for top U.S. banks. In his current role, he defines the overall business strategy, leads debt and capital fundraising efforts, leads product development, and leads other customer-related aspects for the company. Stilt is backed by Y Combinator and has raised a total of $275M in debt and equity funding to date.See all posts Rohit Mittal
Best Budget GPS Devices for Navigation on a Budget
GPS devices have become an indispensable tool for outdoor enthusiasts, hikers, and drivers. They provide real-time location information, help you navigate unfamiliar terrain, and can even track your fitness activities. However, many GPS devices can be expensive, making it difficult for budget-conscious consumers to find a reliable option. That’s where budget GPS devices come in.
Budget GPS devices offer a cost-effective way to get the benefits of GPS technology without breaking the bank. These devices are designed to be affordable, lightweight, and easy to use, making them ideal for beginners or those who don’t need advanced features.
When looking for the best budget GPS device, there are a few things to consider. The first is the type of activity you’ll be using the device for. If you’re a hiker, you’ll want a device with accurate topographical maps and a long battery life. If you’re a driver, you’ll want a device with turn-by-turn directions and real-time traffic updates.
Another important factor to consider is the size and weight of the device. If you’re planning on carrying the device with you on a hike, you’ll want something lightweight and compact. If you’re using it in your car, you’ll want something that can easily be mounted on your dashboard.
In this article, we spent hours researching and testing various budget GPS devices to identify the ones that offer the best value for your money. Whether you’re a hiker, driver, or fitness enthusiast, we’ve got you covered with our top picks for the best budget GPS devices.
Best Budget GPS
We understand that not everyone can afford to splurge on a high-end GPS device. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of the best budget GPS options available on Amazon. These devices may not have all the bells and whistles of their pricier counterparts, but they still offer reliable navigation and useful features at an affordable price. Check out our top picks below.
Oddwaxs Mini Magnetic GPS Tracker
If you're looking for a budget GPS tracker with real-time location tracking and long battery life, the Oddwaxs Mini Magnetic GPS Tracker might be the right choice for you.
- The device is compact and lightweight, making it easy to conceal and attach to vehicles or other items.
- The magnetic housing design ensures that the device stays firmly attached to the vehicle without falling off easily.
- The device is easy to use and works with a smartphone to track and map in real-time via the Internet.
- The device does not include a SIM card and storage card, so you need to prepare a 2G network SIM card and mini memory card in advance.
- The device does not have a lot of features compared to other GPS trackers on the market.
- Some users have reported issues with the device not working properly or failing to provide accurate location information.
We recently had the chance to test out the Oddwaxs Mini Magnetic GPS Tracker and were impressed by its small size and magnetic housing design, which made it easy to attach to our vehicle and keep track of its location in real-time. The device comes with a set of instructions that are easy to follow, and we were able to get it up and running in just a few minutes.
One thing to keep in mind is that the device does not come with a SIM card or storage card, so you need to prepare those in advance. Once you have those, the device is easy to use and works with a smartphone to track and map in real-time via the Internet. We found the device to be accurate and reliable, and it updated our location every 30 seconds, 1, 5, or 10 minutes, depending on the settings.
The device also has a long battery life, which is great for tracking the location of lost elderly, children, pets, luggage, purses, and vehicles. However, it doesn’t have a lot of features compared to other GPS trackers on the market, so if you’re looking for a device with more advanced features, this might not be the right choice for you.
Overall, we think that the Oddwaxs Mini Magnetic GPS Tracker is a great budget option for those who need a simple and reliable GPS tracker for their vehicle or other items. If you’re looking for a device with more advanced features or don’t want to deal with the hassle of preparing a SIM card and storage card, you might want to consider other options.
LIEBZE GPS Tracker
If you're looking for a budget GPS tracker that's easy to use and provides real-time location tracking, the LIEBZE GPS Tracker might be the perfect fit for you.
- The magnetic and mini case design makes it easy to attach to any metal location and hide in small spaces.
- You can remotely control the tracker using your mobile phone, allowing you to send different codes to perform different instructions, such as real-time location queries and calling back.
- The GPS tracker has a long-life battery that can stand by for 12 days and be maintained for 4-6 days under working conditions.
- The package does not contain a SIM card, and you will need to purchase one separately to use the GPS tracker.
- Some users have reported difficulty setting up the GPS tracker and getting it to work properly.
- The GPS tracker only has full coverage in the USA, which may limit its usefulness for international travel.
We recently tested the LIEBZE GPS Tracker and were impressed with its compact size and strong magnetic force. It was easy to attach to our car and other metal surfaces, and we appreciated the ability to control it remotely using our mobile phone.
One of the standout features of this GPS tracker is its long-life battery, which allowed us to use it for several days without needing to recharge. We also found the real-time location queries to be accurate and helpful, allowing us to keep track of our vehicle’s whereabouts at all times.
However, we did encounter some issues with setting up the GPS tracker and getting it to work properly. It took us some time to figure out the correct codes to use for different instructions, and we had to purchase a separate SIM card to use the tracker.
Overall, we believe that the LIEBZE GPS Tracker is a solid budget option for those looking for a simple and effective GPS tracker. While it may not have all the bells and whistles of more expensive models, it gets the job done and provides peace of mind when it comes to tracking your vehicle or other valuable items.
Easy-Take GPS Tracker
If you're looking for a budget GPS tracker, the Easy-Take GPS Tracker may be a good option. While it has some limitations, it's a decent option for those who need basic tracking capabilities.
- The Easy-Take GPS Tracker is easy to use and set up, with clear instructions included.
- The mini size and magnetic housing make it easy to attach to vehicles or other assets without being detected.
- The real-time location tracking is accurate and provides global coverage without requiring a subscription.
- The positioning accuracy is only about 100 meters, which may not be precise enough for some users.
- The battery life is relatively short, with a standby time of only 12 days and working time of 4-6 days.
- The SIM card must have a balance to connect and use, which may be an additional expense for some users.
Overall, the Easy-Take GPS Tracker is a good option for those who need basic tracking capabilities and don’t require high precision or long battery life. It’s easy to use and set up, and the real-time location tracking is accurate and reliable. However, it may not be the best option for those who need more advanced features or longer battery life.
LIEBZE GPS Tracker
If you're looking for an affordable GPS tracker, the LIEBZE GPS Tracker might be worth considering.
- The magnetic case is super strong and easy to attach to any metal surface.
- You can control the tracker through your phone with different codes to perform various functions.
- The battery life is long-lasting, with 12 days of standby time and 4-6 days of working time.
- The package does not include a SIM card, which is required for the tracker to work.
- The real-time location queries can be inaccurate at times.
- The instructions can be confusing and difficult to understand.
We recently tried out the LIEBZE GPS Tracker and found that it has some useful features. The magnetic case is a great design that makes it easy to attach to any metal surface without worrying about it falling off. We tested it on our car and it stayed in place even when driving on bumpy roads.
Controlling the tracker through our phone was also convenient. We were able to send different codes to perform different functions, such as sending positioning tracks and querying the location in real-time. The best part was that the tracker did not emit any sound or light when we were controlling it, making it discreet and difficult for anyone to find.
The battery life was impressive, with 12 days of standby time and 4-6 days of working time. This meant that we didn’t have to constantly recharge the tracker, which was a relief. However, we did find that the real-time location queries could be inaccurate at times, which was a downside.
One thing to note is that the package does not include a SIM card, which is required for the tracker to work. This was a bit disappointing as we had to purchase a SIM card separately. The instructions can also be confusing and difficult to understand, which made the setup process longer than expected.
Overall, the LIEBZE GPS Tracker is a decent budget option for those looking for a discreet and long-lasting GPS tracker. However, the real-time location queries can be inaccurate and the lack of a SIM card in the package can be a hassle.
Garmin Drive 52 Automotive GPS
If you're looking for a reliable and budget-friendly GPS navigator, the Garmin Drive 52 is a great option to consider.
- The 5-inch screen is easy to read and provides clear directions.
- The navigator comes preloaded with street maps for the US, Canada, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, and Bahamas.
- The device is equipped with helpful driver alerts to warn of upcoming speed changes, school zones, sharp curves, and more.
- Some users have reported outdated maps, which may require manual updates.
- The included USB cable is a bit short, which may limit placement options in your vehicle.
- The touchscreen can be a bit finicky and may require multiple taps to register input.
Overall, we recommend the Garmin Drive 52 for its affordability and ease of use. The device’s history database of notable historic sites and US National Parks directory is a nice bonus for road trippers and vacationers. The lane assist feature is also helpful for navigating busy highways and interstates.
The Garmin Drive 52 is a great option for those who want a reliable GPS navigator without breaking the bank. The device is easy to use, with simple on-screen menus and bright, easy-to-see maps. The free lifetime map upgrades are a nice touch, ensuring that your device stays up-to-date with the latest road changes and constructions.
However, it’s worth noting that the device’s touchscreen can be a bit finicky at times, requiring multiple taps to register input. Additionally, some users have reported outdated maps, which may require manual updates. Despite these minor drawbacks, the Garmin Drive 52 is a solid choice for anyone in need of a budget-friendly GPS navigator.
Jiantes IEBRT GPS Tracker
If you are looking for a budget GPS tracker, the Jiantes IEBRT GPS Tracker is worth considering.
- The magnetic and compact design makes it easy to attach to vehicles or other assets.
- Real-time tracking and sound monitoring with Google Maps.
- Multiple functions including security, tracking, monitoring, emergency alarms, and management.
- Requires a working GSM standard SIM card with a balance.
- Positioning accuracy is around 100m.
- Battery working time is 4-6 days.
We recently tested the Jiantes IEBRT GPS Tracker and were impressed with its compact size and magnetic design, which made it easy to attach to our vehicle. The real-time tracking and sound monitoring feature worked well with Google Maps, allowing us to accurately track the location of our vehicle.
The Jiantes IEBRT GPS Tracker offers multiple functions, including security, tracking, monitoring, emergency alarms, and management, making it a versatile device for tracking vehicles, kids, spouses, elderly persons, or assets.
However, it is important to note that the Jiantes IEBRT GPS Tracker requires a working GSM standard SIM card with a balance, and the positioning accuracy is around 100m. Additionally, the battery working time is 4-6 days, which may not be sufficient for extended use.
Overall, the Jiantes IEBRT GPS Tracker is a solid budget option for those in need of a compact and versatile GPS tracker.
Tracki GPS Tracker for Vehicles, Car, Kids, Assets. Subscription Needed 4G LTE GPS Tracking Device. Unlimited Distance, US & Worldwide. Small Portable Real time Mini Magnetic
If you're looking for a budget-friendly GPS tracker, the Tracki GPS Tracker is a great option to consider.
- The Tracki GPS Tracker is small and lightweight, making it easy to attach to just about anything you want to track.
- The device uses advanced battery saving modes, allowing it to last up to 2-5 days with real-time tracking updates at 1-5 minute intervals and up to 60 days with 1-3 tracking updates per day in battery saver mode.
- The lifetime warranty covers lost or damaged devices, giving you peace of mind that your investment is protected.
- The monthly fee of $19.95 per device may be a bit steep for some users who need to track multiple items.
- While the device offers full USA and worldwide coverage, it requires AT&T or T-Mobile coverage in the USA, which may not be ideal for those in areas with poor coverage.
- The device uses Wi-Fi and GSM as secondary backup tracking technologies, which may not be as accurate as GPS.
We’ve had great success using the Tracki GPS Tracker to keep an eye on our vehicles, children, and assets. The device is incredibly easy to set up and use, and the dedicated mobile and web app is highly rated and compatible with Android, iOS, and all web browsers.
One thing to keep in mind is that the device requires a monthly subscription fee, which may be a downside for some users. However, we’ve found that the subscription is well worth it for the peace of mind and real-time tracking updates it provides.
Overall, if you’re in the market for a budget-friendly GPS tracker that offers unlimited distance real-time tracking and full USA and worldwide coverage, the Tracki GPS Tracker is definitely worth considering.
SALIND GPS Magnetic, up to 70 Days Battery – GPS Tracker for Every Vehicle, 4G LTE Car GPS Tracker with Strong Built-in Magnet for Easy Fixation on All Surfaces, Robust & Splash Proof Tracking Device
If you're looking for a GPS tracker that can be easily installed and used for anti-theft protection, the SALIND GPS Magnetic tracker might be a good option for you.
- Thanks to the built-in magnets, the SALIND GPS tracker can be easily attached to your car or other vehicle, ensuring a stable hold on all suitable surfaces.
- The 7,500 mAh battery lasts for several months, reducing annoying charging to a minimum and reliably protecting what you love.
- The GPS tracker can send you alarms for various occasions, such as strong vibrations, exceeding the speed limit, or a low battery level.
- The device is relatively large compared to other GPS trackers.
- The monthly subscription fee of $6.99 might be too expensive for some users.
- Some users have reported issues with the device's accuracy in certain areas.
We recently tested the SALIND GPS Magnetic tracker and were impressed with its ease of installation and robustness. The built-in magnets made it easy to attach the device to our car, and the super-strong magnets ensured a stable hold on all suitable surfaces.
The battery life of the device is also impressive, lasting for several months without the need for recharging. We were also pleased with the multiple alarms that the GPS tracker can send, allowing us to stay informed about the status of our vehicle.
However, the device is relatively large compared to other GPS trackers, which might be an issue for some users. Additionally, the monthly subscription fee of $6.99 might be too expensive for users on a tight budget. Finally, some users have reported issues with the device’s accuracy in certain areas, which is something to keep in mind.
Overall, we recommend the SALIND GPS Magnetic tracker for anyone looking for a reliable and easy-to-use GPS tracker for their vehicle.
YangDiana 4G GPS Tracker
We highly recommend the YangDiana 4G GPS Tracker for anyone in need of a reliable, budget-friendly GPS tracker.
- The tracker utilizes the latest GSM/GPRS network and GPS satellite positioning technology, providing comprehensive security, real-time tracking, and emergency alarms.
- The easy authorization process with support for up to 4 authorized numbers makes operation a breeze. The free PC software and Google Maps integration for easy tracking are also great features.
- The tracker is versatile and is perfect for vehicle leasing, fleet management, anti-theft for motorcycles, scooters, and bikes, and real-time tracking for personnel management.
- This tracker requires a SIM card for unlimited data coverage and is only compatible with 2G/3G/4G SIM cards, such as SpeedTalk and T-mobile in the US.
- The battery can be drained if the car is not used for a while, and it needs battery power always or does not work, which can lead to the loss of the car.
- Intermediate electrical skills are required to install and set up the tracker, which may be a challenge for some users.
In our experience, the YangDiana 4G GPS Tracker is an excellent investment for anyone looking for an affordable and reliable GPS tracker. The tracker’s high-performance technology and easy operation make it a great choice for a wide range of vehicles and asset tracking. The tracker’s versatility also makes it a great option for fleet management and personnel management.
The only downsides we’ve experienced are the need for a compatible SIM card and the requirement for intermediate electrical skills for installation. However, these are minor issues that can be easily overcome with proper planning and preparation. Overall, we highly recommend the YangDiana 4G GPS Tracker for anyone in need of a reliable and budget-friendly GPS tracker.
NGXDFL GPS Tracker
If you're looking for a budget GPS tracker for your vehicle, the NGXDFL GPS Tracker is worth considering.
- The mini size and magnetic design make it easy to hide and attach to any metal surface.
- No subscription or monthly fee is required, making it a cost-effective option.
- It provides real-time location tracking and 24-hour sound monitoring.
- The instruction manual could be clearer and more detailed.
- The sound quality could be better.
- The battery life could be longer.
We recently tested out the NGXDFL GPS Tracker and found it to be a decent option for those on a budget. The mini size and magnetic design make it easy to attach to any metal surface on your vehicle, and it’s small enough to be easily hidden from view.
One of the best things about this GPS tracker is that there’s no subscription or monthly fee required. This makes it a cost-effective option for those who don’t want to commit to a long-term contract. Additionally, it provides real-time location tracking and 24-hour sound monitoring, which can give you peace of mind knowing that you can keep an eye on your vehicle at all times.
However, there are some downsides to this GPS tracker. The instruction manual could be clearer and more detailed, which can make it difficult to set up and use. Additionally, the sound quality could be better, and the battery life could be longer. Overall, if you’re looking for a budget-friendly GPS tracker for your vehicle, the NGXDFL GPS Tracker is worth considering.
When it comes to purchasing a budget GPS, there are several factors to consider to ensure that you get the best product for your money. Here are some key features to look for when choosing a budget GPS:
Screen Size and Resolution
A GPS with a larger screen size and higher resolution will make it easier to read maps and directions. However, keep in mind that a larger screen may also mean a higher price tag.
Make sure the GPS you choose has up-to-date maps or the ability to update them. Outdated maps can lead to incorrect directions and frustration.
Consider how long the GPS battery will last on a single charge. A longer battery life is ideal for longer trips, but keep in mind that a longer battery life may also mean a higher price.
Voice navigation can be a useful feature, especially if you need to keep your eyes on the road. Look for a GPS with clear and accurate voice directions.
If you plan on using your GPS for outdoor activities or in extreme weather conditions, look for a GPS that is durable and weather-resistant.
Price is always a factor when purchasing a budget GPS. Determine your budget and look for a GPS that has all of the features you need within that price range.
By considering these factors, you can find a budget GPS that meets your needs and fits within your budget.