Where Did You Apply for Your Immigrant Visa or Adjustment of Status?

Updated on April 25, 2024

This article was reviewed by Rohit Mittal – co-founder of Stilt, Inc, financial expert, and immigrant. To learn more about Rohit’s credentials, visit his LinkedIn, Substack, and Twitter.

A question on form I-90 is about the location where you applied for your immigrant visa or adjustment of status. These questions is phrased as, “Where did you apply for your immigrant visa or adjustment of status?”

To answer the question, “Where did you apply for your immigrant visa or adjustment of status?” will depend on whether you applied for an “adjustment of status” or “consular processing” when you first applied for your permanent residency status.

We’ll help you answer these (and other) questions with a little more ease by taking a look at the most tricky sections of Form I-90 below.

Adjustment of Status

If you filed for a Green Card from within the U.S., you filed for an Adjustment of Status. This is generally the “City, State” of the USCIS office. You can also look up these details on your Green Card. It should state clearly which office granted you the adjustment of your status and use that as your answer.

If you lost your Green Card, you can list the USCIS office where you applied for the status adjustment.

Consular Processing

If you applied for a Green Card from abroad, you would have made use of consular processing. For getting a visa through this type of processing, you can list the city and country of the U.S. Embassy or consulate where you applied for your immigrant visa.

If you have additional questions about your I-90 form and are not sure about the answers, you can continue to read below:

I-90 Sections People Struggle With

There are a few sections on the I-90 form that tend to get a bit tricky. Here are a few questions people regularly need help with and some guidance on how you can answer them.

Part 1, Item 1: Alien Registration Number (A-Number)

You can find your A-Number on any of these documents:

  • Green Card – Look for the number under the heading “USCIS#”
  • Employment Authorization Document – Look for the number under the heading “USCIS#”
  • Immigrant Visa – Look for the number under the heading “Registration Number”
  • Form I-797C (Notice of Action) – Look for the number under the heading “USCIS#”
  • Immigrant Data Summary – Look for the number next to the heading that says “A-Number”
  • Immigrant Fee Handout – The top right-hand corner has a number that starts with an A.

An A-Number needs to start with an A and have 9 digits that follow. If it’s only 8 digits, you need to add a zero between the A and the first digit of the number. For example, “A12345678” would need to become “A012345678” because there are only 8 digits.

Part 1, Item 2: USCIS ELIS Account Number (if any)

If you previously filed an electronic application, you will have an account number. If you didn’t you can leave this section blank.

Part 1, Item 11: Class of admission

On your Green Card, there is a “Category” section that states your class of admission. This will typically be two letters and a number, for example, “NP5”.

Part 1, Question 12: Date of admission

Use the date listed on your Green Card under the heading “Resident since” for this question.

Part 3, Item 1: Location where you applied for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status

Where did you apply for your immigrant visa or adjustment of status? As explained above, list the U.S. embassy, consulate, or USCIS office where you originally applied.

Part 3, Item 2: Location where your immigrant visa was issued or USCIS office where you were granted adjustment of status

List the U.S. embassy, consulate, or USCIS office where you were issued your immigrant visa or Green Card (whichever one of the two documents applies).

Part 3, Item 3a: Destination in the United States at the time of admission

You need to complete this section only if you entered the U.S. with an immigrant visa. State clearly where in the U.S. you intended to go (i.e. the place you will stay in the U.S.).

Part 3, Item 3a1: Port-of-Entry where admitted to the United States

Please list the port you entered into the U.S. (only fill out this section if you used an immigrant visa). List the airport, bridge, tunnel, border crossing, or harbor you used to enter.

Adjustment of Status Cost and Next Steps

The filing fee for your renewal or replacement application is $450, which should include the $85 biometric service fee. These appointments will be scheduled as soon as your application is processed.

Wait Time for New Green Card?

The USCIS works on a first come first served basis. You can wait anywhere between two and six months for your new card to be approved and issued. You’ll need to work fast and well in advance if you apply for a renewal. You can also check the progress of your application on your USCIS ELIS account.

Proof of Status Before the Card Arrives

Sometimes you’ll need to prove your permanent residency status before you get your new Green Card. This could be in situations such as when you want to apply for a permanent resident student loan. This can be a problem if you lost your Green Card.

As a temporary solution, you can take your passport to your biometric scanning appointment and ask an official to stamp it. This will help to prove your permanent residency status while you wait.

Read More


Where did you apply for your immigrant visa or adjustment of status? Answering this question won’t be an obstacle when applying for the renewal or replacement of your Green Card anymore. You can use the guidelines we provide above to help increase your chances of a successful application.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What is the Difference Between an Immigrant Visa and Adjustment of Status?

An immigrant visa is for individuals outside the United States who wish to enter and reside permanently in the U.S. Adjustment of Status (AoS) is for individuals already in the U.S. who want to change their status to that of a lawful permanent resident without returning to their home country.

How Do I Apply for an Immigrant Visa?

To apply for an immigrant visa:

  1. Be Sponsored: Usually by a family member or employer in the U.S.
  2. File a Petition: The sponsor files a petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
  3. Consular Processing: Once approved, complete the visa application at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country.
  4. Interview and Approval: Attend a visa interview, and if approved, you’ll receive your immigrant visa.

What are the Steps for Adjustment of Status?

For Adjustment of Status:

  1. Eligibility: Ensure you’re eligible for a green card through family, employment, asylum, or other special provisions.
  2. File Form I-485: Submit the Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status with required documents to USCIS.
  3. Biometrics Appointment: Attend a biometrics appointment for fingerprinting and photograph.
  4. Interview: Go through an interview at a local USCIS office (if applicable).
  5. Approval: Wait for decision on your application.

What Documents are Needed for Immigrant Visa Application?

Documents for an immigrant visa typically include:

  1. Valid Passport
  2. Sponsorship Documents
  3. Civil Documents: Like birth certificates, marriage certificates, police certificates, etc.
  4. Financial Documents: From the sponsor to show they can support you.
  5. Medical Examination Results

What Documents are Required for Adjustment of Status?

For Adjustment of Status, you need:

  1. Form I-485
  2. Proof of Current Immigration Status
  3. Birth Certificate
  4. Marriage Certificate (if applicable)
  5. Financial Documents
  6. Medical Examination Report
  7. Employment Authorization and/or Advance Parole Document (if you’re applying for them)

How Long Does It Take to Process an Immigrant Visa or Adjustment of Status?

Processing times vary widely based on visa category, country of origin, current workload, and specific case factors. It can range from several months to a few years.

Can I Work in the U.S. While Waiting for Adjustment of Status?

You can apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) when you file your AoS application, allowing you to work while your application is being processed.

Is a Medical Examination Required for Both Processes?

Yes, a medical examination is required for both immigrant visa applications and Adjustment of Status.

Can I Travel Outside the U.S. During the Adjustment of Status Process?

If you need to travel outside the U.S. while your AoS application is pending, you must apply for Advance Parole to avoid abandoning your application.

What Happens if My Immigrant Visa or Adjustment of Status Application is Denied?

If denied, you may appeal the decision or file a motion to reopen or reconsider with USCIS. The specific options depend on the reasons for denial.

I agree to have my personal information transfered to MailChimp ( more information )
Join over 100,000 visitors who are receiving our newsletter and learn more about finance, immigration, and more!
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.

Check your loan offer in minutes

Apply for a loan with 100+ partners with one application. It takes only 2 mins and doesn’t impact your credit score.

*checking your rate doesn’t impact your credit score

Get the Checklist