A Complete Guide to Form N-565

Updated on April 10, 2024

At a Glance

  • The N-565 is an application form used to replace lost or damaged documents like the Certificate of Naturalization.
  • It can be filed for various purposes, including name changes, special certificates, or lost/damaged originals.
  • Accurate form completion, required document submission, and filing can be done by mail or online.
  • The filing fee for N-565 is $555, and processing time is approximately five months.

Have you ever heard about the N-565, yet didn’t know what it means and how it can help? Well, this article will go in-depth about it, so you’ve come to the right place. Let’s explore it and find out who can use it, and how to get one.

What Is an N-565?

The N-565 is an application form that can come in handy when you’ve lost your Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship. Basically, it will help you get a replacement document. Not to mention that if you need a replacement for a Repatriation Certificate or Declaration of Intention, the N-565 can help once again.

Who Needs to File Form N-565?

An N-565 can only be filed by specific people during specific situations. For example, if you’re someone who has changed their name, you can file this application. It means that your name has been legally changed after you received your citizenship or naturalization certificate, and you need new ones for the new name.

In case your original documents have been destroyed for some reason or you’ve lost them, you become eligible to file form N-565. Mutilation of the original documents will also put you in the position where this form can be applied.

If a foreign country needs a special certificate so a person can get US citizen recognition, this gives them the right to file Form N-565. Concurrently, in the event a mistake is noticed on the documents, an N-565 can be filed, unless you want to use it to change a wrong birth date.

Required Documents for an N-565

The documents required for your N-565 depend on the reason you file the application in the first place. Different reasons will require specific proof in order to proceed.

That being said, if you get a legal name change, you will be asked for:

  • Two passport-style photographs
  • Filing fee
  • Name change proof
  • Original certificate

For a special certificate for a U.S. citizenship recognition, make sure to attach:

  • Filing fee
  • Two passport-style photographs
  • Original certificate copy

When your original citizenship or naturalization certificate gets lost or destroyed, you will have to attach:

  • Two passport-style photographs
  • Filing fee
  • Certificate copy

Last but not least, when there’s mutilation to your original document, add:

  • Original certificate
  • Filing fee
  • Two passport-style photographs

How to Fill Out Form N-565

Filling out your form N-565 should not be that difficult. You can fill it out in both type and print. Be sure to complete all required sections in the document, using black ink. Use another piece of paper if you have to add some extra information and you have no space left.

Moreover, if you can’t answer a question because it doesn’t apply to your situation, either write “none” if that’s the correct answer, or “N/A”.

Attach the documents applicable to your situation, after which you are ready to mail them. Make sure the photographs you attach are identical, and that you take them no longer than 30 days before filing the application. The photograph must accurately depict your current facial features.

If you have documents in another language other than English, ensure you have a translation provided as well. It must be certified by a translator.

Where to File an N-565

Two ways are available when you have to submit an N-565, for your own convenience. You can fill out the form by mail or online.

If you choose to send it by mail, then you have to send it to USCIS, precisely to the USCIS Phoenix Lockbox address. It can be sent through postal service or through delivery services. The cool thing is that you can still make an online account on the USCIS website, where you can manage and track your case without problems.

In addition, when the document is sent through the mail, you will receive an Account Acceptance Notice from USCIS through the mail too. It will tell you how to create the account, and your application will be processed even if you don’t want to proceed with an online account. Also, you’ll receive notifications about the case through the mail.

Conversely, if you decide to apply online, it’s a much easier option and easier to track. You can pay the filing fee online, and constantly track the process of the case. Managing your contact information will be possible too, and you will have the opportunity to respond to any requests much quicker. You will also be constantly notified about any updates.

You will still have to mail some documents nonetheless, even if you apply online. Your photos and original certificates have to be sent to the Nebraska Service Center after your online application.

How Much Does an N-565 Cost?

To file the N-565 form, you have to pay a filing fee of $555. You can pay through a cashier’s check, money order, or personal check. Keep in mind that the fee is non-refundable even if you end up withdrawing your request.

N-565 Processing Time

After you submit your Form N-565, USCIS will start the process of checking all of your documents, and see if the application is complete. If you somehow forgot to submit something, or your application is not complete, your application will most likely be denied by USCIS, which will lead to more time being wasted. When this happens, you will be notified by USCIS.

It takes up to 30 days to receive a notice from USCIS. Once you see that you’ve been sent an Application Receipt number, it means that your application has been received and the USCIS members are processing it. You may also be requested to show proof that you’ll go to the office for an interview.

Overall, the application of Form N-565 should be a process that takes about five months – at least – if everything goes well.

Form N-565 FAQ

Many people have curiosities when it comes to Form N-565, and they end up in a state of confusion. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions:

What is the difference between a Certificate of Naturalization and a Certificate of Citizenship?

A Certificate of Citizenship will basically serve as proof that you are a U.S. citizen, in the event that you were already a citizen in the U.S. through automatic citizenship or birth. If you want to prove your citizenship, a Form N-600 can be filed.

Meanwhile, a Certificate of Naturalization refers to evidence of U.S. citizenship for people who received their citizenship through the process of naturalization. If you’re a naturalized citizen, you usually get your Certificate during the Citizenship Ceremony. It will prove to others that you are a U.S. citizen. When this certificate gets lost, Form N-565 can be filed in order to replace it.

Keep in mind that Form N-565 or N-600 can neither be used to apply for naturalization. A Form N-400 will have to be applied by U.S. residents.

When should I file for a new citizenship certificate?

You should only file for a new citizenship certificate if USCIS made a mistake on the original document, or you get your name changed legally. Also, if there’s any requirement for a special certificate by a foreign country, you can also file for a new one. And of course, losing, destroying or having the document mutilated makes you eligible for filing an N-565.


To conclude, Form N-565 serves as a way for U.S. citizens who have lost their Naturalization or Citizenship certificates to get them replaced. Whereas the application process is not the most daunting one, you might still have some curiosities regarding Form N-600, Form G-1145, and many others. As such, don’t hesitate to check Stilt, as we have a lot of useful information. Browse through our articles, and you might find something that comes in handy.

I agree to have my personal information transfered to MailChimp ( more information )
Join over 100,000 visitors who are receiving our newsletter and learn more about finance, immigration, and more!
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.

Frank Gogol

I’m a firm believer that information is the key to financial freedom. On the Stilt Blog, I write about the complex topics — like finance, immigration, and technology — to help immigrants make the most of their lives in the U.S. Our content and brand have been featured in Forbes, TechCrunch, VentureBeat, and more.

Get the Checklist