K2 Visas: How to Bring Your Fiancé(e)’s Children to the U.S.

Updated on April 10, 2024

When a U.S. citizen becomes engaged to a foreign national, they may plan to bring their fiancé(e) to the United States on a K1 visa. However, if the foreign fiancé(e) has unmarried children under 21 years old, these children may be eligible to accompany their parent to the U.S. on a K2 visa. In this blog post, we’ll explore the K2 visa process, including eligibility, application steps, processing time, and cost.

30 Second Recap:

The K2 visa allows the unmarried children (under 21) of a K1 fiancé(e) visa holder to enter the United States. The K2 visa application process is tied to the K1 visa process, and the processing time is generally the same, taking an average of 6 to 9 months. The cost of a K2 visa includes filing fees, visa application fees, medical examination fees, and the USCIS Immigrant Fee. After entering the U.S., K2 visa holders may apply for adjustment of status to obtain a Green Card.

What Is a K2 Visa?

A K2 visa is a nonimmigrant visa that allows the unmarried children (under 21 years old) of a K1 fiancé(e) visa holder to enter the United States. The purpose of the K2 visa is to enable the foreign fiancé(e)’s children to accompany their parent and live with the U.S. citizen sponsor while the couple prepares for and celebrates their marriage.

K2 Visa Eligibility

To be eligible for a K2 visa, the child must:

  1. Be the child of a K1 fiancé(e) visa applicant
  2. Be unmarried
  3. Be under 21 years old
  4. Be named in the U.S. citizen sponsor’s Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)

Need help with your K-1 visa?

Our immigration experts can help. Simply complete our easy form to request a free consultation!

Green Card Icon

K2 Visa Application Process

The K2 visa application process is tied to the K1 visa application process. When the U.S. citizen sponsor files Form I-129F on behalf of their foreign fiancé(e), they must also include the names of any eligible children who will be applying for K2 visas.

After USCIS approves the I-129F petition, the case is forwarded to the National Visa Center (NVC) and then to the U.S. embassy or consulate where the foreign fiancé(e) and their children will apply for their visas.

The K2 visa applicants must:

  1. Complete the Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application (DS-160) form
  2. Pay the visa application fee
  3. Schedule and attend an interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate
  4. Provide supporting documents, such as a valid passport, birth certificate, police certificates, and medical examination results

K2 Visa Processing Time

The processing time for a K2 visa is generally the same as the processing time for the associated K1 visa. On average, the entire process can take 6 to 9 months from the time the U.S. citizen sponsor files the initial I-129F petition to the time the foreign fiancé(e) and their children receive their visas.

However, processing times can vary depending on the workload of USCIS and the U.S. embassy or consulate, as well as the complexity of the individual case.

K2 Visa Cost

The cost of a K2 visa includes several fees:

  1. Form I-129F filing fee: $535 (paid by the U.S. citizen sponsor and covers both the K1 and K2 applicants)
  2. Nonimmigrant visa application fee (DS-160): $265 per K2 applicant
  3. Medical examination fees: Varies by country and medical facility
  4. USCIS Immigrant Fee (after entering the U.S. and applying for adjustment of status): $220 per K2 applicant

Additional costs may include travel expenses for the visa interview and the cost of obtaining required documents, such as birth certificates and police certificates.

After Entering the United States

Once the K2 visa holders enter the United States, they may apply for adjustment of status to obtain lawful permanent residence (a Green Card) after their parent marries the U.S. citizen sponsor. The adjustment of status process involves filing Form I-485 and paying the associated fees.

Your submission could not be saved. Please try again.
Your submission has been successful.

Need help with immigration?

Complete the form below to receive customized support for your immigration needs.

The SMS field must contain between 6 and 19 digits and include the country code without using +/0 (e.g. 1xxxxxxxxxx for the United States)
I agree to have my personal information transfered to MailChimp ( more information )
Join over 100,000 visitors who are receiving our newsletter and learn more about finance, immigration, and more!
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.

Frank Gogol

I’m a firm believer that information is the key to financial freedom. On the Stilt Blog, I write about the complex topics — like finance, immigration, and technology — to help immigrants make the most of their lives in the U.S. Our content and brand have been featured in Forbes, TechCrunch, VentureBeat, and more.

Get the Checklist