How to Do a USCIS Change of Address

Updated on April 4, 2024

At a Glance

  • To make a Green Card address change with USCIS, you can submit the change online, call the customer service number, or send a letter to a local immigration office.
  • Failing to report address changes can result in fines, jail time, or even deportation.
  • If you have a pending application, follow specific procedures based on whether it’s online, at a service center, or a local office.
  • Use certified mail, complete the form accurately, report permanent address changes, submit one form per applicant, and include receipt numbers for pending filings.

Have you recently moved to the U.S. on an immigrant visa? Are you required to move or have you moved to another residential address recently? Do you know how to inform the USCIS about the change of your address?

You need to file a Green Card change of address to make sure you comply with immigration law. Otherwise, you could face deportation. This is what you need to know.

How to Make a Green Card Address Change with USCIS

So, how do you file a Green Card change of address? Don’t worry we’ve got you covered. Here are a few ways in which you can file your AR-11. Please note a simple filing per US Postal Service is not enough. Here’s the process:

Change of Address Warning

Just like when you change your personal details on your Green Card mortgage, you must file an AR-11 each time you change addresses. If you don’t it could lead to a $200 fine, a 30-day jail sentence, and/or even deportation back to your home country.

Deportation orders have previously been mistakenly issued to immigrants who have actually filed an AR-11. So you must make sure the USCIS knows about your address change to avoid any confusion. The safest is to get confirmation from the USCIS about their notice of your change in address.

What to Do if You Have a Pending Application

What can you do if you have a currently pending case with the USCIS but have since moved to a new address? It depends on the type of application you filed. You may find yourself in one of three potential situations:

  • Your Application is Pending Online
  • Your Application is Pending At a Service Center
  • Your Application is Pending At a Local Office

Here are the procedures you need to follow based on the type of application you filed.

If Your Application is Pending Online

If you filed online, you need to visit the USCIS website and click on “Change of Address”. Follow the instructions to change your address and keep the confirmation number for future reference.

If Your Application is Pending At a Service Center

Phone the USCIS customer service center (1-800-375-5283) and change your address. Also, ask for the addresses on your pending application to be changed as well.

If Your Application is Pending At a Local Office

If you sent a letter to file your application, you need to send a letter to your local USCIS field office and ask them to change your address on your current pending applications as well.

5 Tips for Completing Your Green Card Change of Address

You don’t have to be in the dark about your Green Card change of address. Here are a few tips to help you out:

  1. Use Certified or Registered Mail
  2. Complete the Form
  3. Do Not Report Temporary Changes of Address
  4. Complete One Form for Each Applicant
  5. Include Applicable Receipt Numbers

Read on to learn more about each of these tips!

1. Use Certified or Registered Mail

Use certified, registered, or receipt mail. Hard copies of your papers help to prove to any immigration officials your compliance. Create copies of the confirmations and store them for future use. Registered mail provides proof of the filing of your application.

2. Complete the Form

Complete the form correctly. Use the help of a professional (like an immigration attorney) to assist you if you are having some trouble doing it yourself. The USCIS can’t process documents that are only partially completed. Just like a permanent resident student loan application would be rejected if found incomplete.

3. Do Not Report Temporary Changes of Address

Don’t file a change of address if you only stay somewhere for a temporary period, but still have your main address as your permanent residence. You can still get all your mail delivered at your main residence even if you are living somewhere else temporarily.

4. Complete One Form for Each Applicant

Submit one form per person. You have to submit a form for each of your family members. You can, unfortunately, not use one form for your entire family. The USCIS needs an AR-11 for each of your family members living with you in the U.S.

5. Include Applicable Receipt Numbers

Include the receipt numbers of all your current pending immigration filings. This will help to update the addresses of all your current pending immigration cases.

Green Card Change of Address FAQ

To put you at ease, let’s go through a few of the most frequently asked questions. Use this advice to make sure you cover your bases.

Do I really have to file a change of address AR-11 every single time I move? Even if it’s temporary?

Yes, you must file a Green Card change of address each time you move to a new permanent residence. And you have to do it within 10 days of moving. No matter how recently you’ve filed other paperwork to the USCIS. Change your address with an AR-11 each time you move to a new permanent residence.

What happens in a worst-case scenario, even when an AR-11 is properly filed and confirmed?

The worst-case scenario is quite traumatizing and you must do your utmost best to avoid it. The USCIS can make mistakes or your Form AR-11 might not reach the USCIS offices. In such a case the USCIS won’t know about your change of address. They will send your immigration-related communications to the wrong address. They’ll become suspicious of your unwillingness to cooperate with their demands. Miss any court orders and you’ll run the risk of arrest, criminal charges, and possibly deportation. Even if you are a lawful permanent resident of the U.S., keep the USCIS informed about your address changes and get confirmation about them receiving notice of your new address.

What happens if I forget to file a change of address with USCIS?

Don’t panic and stay calm. Stressing about it won’t help. Rather channel your urgency to take action and rectify the situation as soon as possible. Follow the procedures provided above to file your AR-11 Green Card change of address as soon as possible.

You might have forgotten to file your Green Card change of address and it does hold some pretty nasty consequences. But the likelihood of the USCIS tracking you down from removal procedures is quite slim. Unless you are guilty of serious negligence, in which case we’d recommend you get legal counsel as soon as possible to aid you in your immigration attempts and possible court orders.

Be as compliant and respectful as possible toward the USCIS, because incidents like these affect their decision when you might apply for naturalization someday (to become a citizen). Any court orders against your name may very well affect your chances for relocation loan applications as well.

What can I do to avoid any problems? Tips for filing your AR-11

Here are a few extra tips to help you with the filing of your Form AR-11:

  • Only file your last (current) address in your AR-11. Don’t cause any confusion by including trivial information like previous addresses.
  • Keep a form of communication and proof of that communication. Ask the USCIS if they have received your AR-11 and if it is to their satisfaction. Keep your end of the bargain to avoid unpleasant legal issues in the future.
  • Stay in your current residence when you have pending applications. Try not to move during this time. Moving too often might cause communication issues which could lead to bigger problems when you don’t respond to the demands of the USCIS. Remember, they have the power to deport you from the U.S., so work with them to ensure your best possible future.
  • Get postal forwarding from your old addresses. Mistakes still happen. Even if you have filed an AR-11, still check-in at your old addresses (or get postal forwarding) to prevent any miscommunication errors.
  • Ask the expert advice of an immigration attorney. It might cost a bit of money, but the legal cost compared to the alternative of deportation is cheap. Immigration lawyers can help you to keep your immigration matters up to date and intact, helping you to create your best possible life in the U.S.

Why is it important to notify USCIS of a change of address?

It is a legal requirement for most non-U.S. citizens to inform the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) of a change of address within 10 days of moving. This ensures that you receive all correspondence and notices regarding your immigration case.

How do I submit a change of address to USCIS?

You can submit a change of address to USCIS by:

  1. Completing the online form AR-11 on the USCIS website.
  2. Alternatively, you can mail a completed Form AR-11 to the address listed on the form.

Can I change my address with USCIS over the phone?

No, USCIS does not typically accept address changes over the phone. You should complete Form AR-11 online or by mail.

Are there any exceptions to the address change notification requirement?

Certain categories of immigrants, such as diplomats (A visas), official government representatives to an international organization (G visas), and certain nonimmigrants who do not possess a visa and who are in the U.S. for less than 30 days, are exempt from this requirement.

What information do I need to provide to USCIS for a change of address?

You’ll need to provide your old address, new address, name, date of birth, and Alien Registration Number (A-Number), if applicable.

How quickly must I notify USCIS of my address change?

You must notify USCIS of your change of address within 10 days of moving.

What happens if I fail to notify USCIS of my address change?

Failure to notify USCIS of a change of address can result in serious consequences, including delays in case processing, missing important notices, and in some cases, it can be considered a violation of U.S. immigration law.

Does changing my address with the USPS automatically update my address with USCIS?

No, changing your address with the United States Postal Service (USPS) does not automatically update your address with USCIS. You must separately inform USCIS.

If I’m a U.S. citizen, do I still need to notify USCIS of an address change?

U.S. citizens are not required to notify USCIS of a change of address unless they have previously submitted a petition for a relative or are a sponsor for someone who has applied for immigration benefits.

Can I update my address on a pending application or petition?

Yes, if you have a pending application or petition with USCIS, it’s important to update your address as soon as possible to avoid any delays or issues with your case.

Read More

I agree to have my personal information transfered to MailChimp ( more information )
Join over 100,000 visitors who are receiving our newsletter and learn more about finance, immigration, and more!
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.

Frank Gogol

I’m a firm believer that information is the key to financial freedom. On the Stilt Blog, I write about the complex topics — like finance, immigration, and technology — to help immigrants make the most of their lives in the U.S. Our content and brand have been featured in Forbes, TechCrunch, VentureBeat, and more.

Get the Checklist