The Complete Guide to USCIS Form I-407

Updated on April 10, 2024

At a Glance

  • Voluntarily abandon U.S. Green Card status by filing Form I-407 with USCIS.
  • Include signed I-407, Permanent Resident Card (I-551), and other identification.
  • No filing fee; processing aimed within 60 days.
  • Follow instructions, surrender LPR documents, and consider reentry permits for extended stays abroad. Seek consulate assistance if needed.

Are you a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR)? Do you travel often and for long periods on end? Or are you perhaps looking to get permanent resident status in another country?

We have some answers to questions you might have about things like Form I-407 and voluntary abandonment of your Green Card.

Why Voluntarily Abandon Your Green Card?

Why would someone abandon their LPR status? You worked so hard to get it and then you decide to let it go.

Here are a few reasons why:

  • Taking permanent resident status abroad – People move around. They don’t always stay in one country for life. Perhaps they got a job offer from a company in a different country. Perhaps they want to stay closer to friends and family outside of the U.S., but these decisions require them to abandon their LPR status here. You must voluntarily abandon your permanent resident status if you want to become an LPR of another country.
  • Returning to home country – Some people live in the U.S. for a season of their lives. Once that season ends they move back to their home countries. Some of them retire and others long for the comfort of home but they voluntarily abandon their U.S. LPR status either way.
  • Pay tax elsewhere – U.S. LPR’s must pay tax to the U.S. government. Some people may want to move out of the U.S. to pay tax in a different country.

What is Form Form I-407?

What can you do if you want to voluntarily abandon your Green Card? How would you go to work to get it done? Have you heard of the Form I-407?

A Form I-407 allows a legal permanent resident to officially abandon their LPR status. You file the form at the correct USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) address and officially ask to abandon your Green Card status.

Who Needs Form I-407?

Anyone who wants to voluntarily abandon their LPR status needs to file a Form I-407. You must generally file and sign your own form. But there are special circumstances under which someone can and must sign on behalf of another person.

People who need someone to file a Form I-407 on their behalf:

  • LPRs who are under the age of 14 years must have a parent or legal guardian (with proof thereof) sign an I-407 on their behalf.
  • An incapacitated adult must have their duly appointed legal guardian sign to indicate their consent to voluntarily abandon their LPR status.

Form I-407 Requirements

Form I-407 is the single form that basically starts the application process for voluntary LPR abandonment. But there are more documents required in this application.

Here is a list of the documents required when filing for Green Card abandonment:

  • Form I-407 – A completed and signed I-407. Use the instructions provided by the USCIS and complete the form in English. It must be signed or else the application will be rejected.
  • Permanent Resident Card – It’s also known as your I-551. Include it in your application. The USCIS needs to destroy your residency documents. Tick the appropriate boxes on your application form confirming you’ve lost possession if you don’t have it anymore.
  • All other USCIS issued booklets and cards – You are abandoning your LPR status and you can’t have anything within your possession that could indicate otherwise. Submit all official forms of immigration and identification documents issued to you by the USCIS.

Please do not mail your passport to the USCIS. You still need it, and besides, your passport is from your home country (USCIS has no jurisdiction over that document). You are abandoning your LPR status, but that doesn’t mean you are unwelcome in the future. You will, however, need to follow the immigration procedures from the start if you want to re-enter the U.S. in the future.

How to Complete Form I-407

The USCIS has a detailed instruction form on how to complete Form I-407. Remember to use a black ink pen to complete your form. Write legibly and neat and answer all questions fully and accurately.

You must write your Alien Registration Number (A-Number) on the top right-hand corner of each page. Read the instructions provided by the USCIS on how to present you’re A-Number.

Remember to sign your form when you are done. All unsigned applications are rejected by the USCIS.

Where to File Form I-407

There was a time when you could file an I-407 at many places, but now there is only one address for mailed applications. Mail your application for Green Card abandonment to the following address:

U.S. Postal Service:

USCIS Eastern Forms Center

Attn: I-407

Unit PO Box 567

Williston, VT 05495

For FedEx, UPS, DHL or any other registered delivery services:

USCIS Eastern Forms Center

Attn: I-407

Unit 124 Leroy Road

Williston, VT 05495

Make sure you use the correct address or else your application may not go through.

Form I-407 Filing Fee

Unlike many other types of immigration-related applications, the Form I-407 has no filing fee. You may have to pay for the postal services required to deliver the application, but the USCIS does not charge a fee.

Form I-407 Processing Time

The USCIS can’t account for mailing time. They can only process your application as soon as it arrives. Make sure you use a reliable postal service to minimize the time lost during postage. The USCIS office that processes I-407 forms aims to have your request done from receiving to completion within 60 days. It may, however, take longer.

Keep your end of the bargain and complete the application accurately. Remember to sign your application or else it will be rejected.

I-407 Frequently Asked Questions

Perhaps you haven’t found the answer you are looking for. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions regarding the I-407.

Can someone be pressured to sign an I-407 form?

Yes, someone can be pressured to sign, but only when circumstances are compelling enough to warrant the pressure from a U.S. immigration official. Sufficient evidence must point to the fact that the person took up residence in another country or they have broken U.S. laws. Then someone may pressure an individual to sign an I-407.

Why can’t I just keep my green card after moving to another country?

Once you’ve applied for abandonment you lose your Lawful Permanent Resident. You are no longer the beneficiary of a Green Card and you lose the benefits and privileges associated with it, like applying for a permanent resident student loan. You can’t have any documentation in your possession that indicates otherwise. You must surrender any documentation that indicates you are LPR of the U.S.

What if I will need to leave the U.S. for a significant period of time, but wish to return later?

If you plan to be abroad for an extended period, you can always apply for a reentry permit. Reentry permits can last for up to 2 years. Upon return, your re-entry permit will allow returning to the U.S. as an LPR. A reentry permit is also called a Form I-131.

What if something happens while I’m traveling, and I can’t return to the U.S. when expected?

Make contact with the U.S. consulate in that country as soon as possible. They’ll most probably be sympathetic towards your situation. You must prove the circumstances that kept you out of the U.S. is beyond your control. Perhaps they will issue you a unique visa for returning U.S. residents.


There are a few reasons why someone would want to abandon their U.S. residency. Whatever your reason, you must complete a Form I-407 application. Use the information provided here to guide you through your Green Card abandonment.

I agree to have my personal information transfered to MailChimp ( more information )
Join over 100,000 visitors who are receiving our newsletter and learn more about finance, immigration, and more!
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.

Frank Gogol

I’m a firm believer that information is the key to financial freedom. On the Stilt Blog, I write about the complex topics — like finance, immigration, and technology — to help immigrants make the most of their lives in the U.S. Our content and brand have been featured in Forbes, TechCrunch, VentureBeat, and more.

Get the Checklist