Guide to Passport Form DS-64

Updated on April 10, 2024

At a Glance

  • Form DS-64 is used to report a lost or stolen passport to the US Department of State.
  • Submitting DS-64 helps invalidate the stolen passport to prevent misuse and is part of the process to obtain a new passport.
  • The replacement process involves submitting DS-64 along with DS-11 for a new passport.
  • US citizens must report lost or stolen passports inside the US by completing DS-64 online, then submitting DS-11. Outside the US, reporting to local authorities or the nearest US Embassy is necessary.

The passport is among the most important travel documents. If you lose it, then you’re definitely up for some whirlwind of panic. The US Department of State, however, makes it easy for you to replace your old passport. In this article, we’ll explain how to get your stolen or lost passport back and what significance Form DS-64 plays in it.

What is Form DS-64?

DS-64 is the form used for reporting to the US Department of State about your lost or stolen passport.

The thing to note here is that the form doesn’t request renewal and issuance of a new passport. DS-64 simply invalidates your stolen passport and hence ensures that the stolen passport is not misused by anyone who might have it.

Since the passport will get invalidated, it will no longer be useful, even if you find it later down the road. If you do find it, however, you’d be required to hand it back over to the Passport Service Department.

To get a new passport, Form DS-64 is submitted along with Form DS-11. After verification, the Department of State will issue a new passport.

Who Needs Form DS-64?

Usually, the Form DS-64 is submitted by those who have either lost their passport or have it stolen by someone. By submitting this form, you let the government know that your passport has been stolen or lost and should be invalidated.

This is, in fact, mandatory for all US citizens since the government doesn’t allow anyone to hold multiple potentially valid US passports at any point in time. Therefore, you have to invalidate your previous passport before you get a new one.

But the main thing you need to know is that you shouldn’t use Form DS-64 for reporting damaged passports. A damaged passport cannot be renewed and you have to apply for a new one. Go to the “New US Passport” section of the website and follow the instructions if you have damaged your passport to a degree that it is no longer useful.

If you submit Form DS-64 for reporting damaged passports, then it will be rejected straightaway.

How to Report a Lost or Stolen Passport?

How to report your lost or stolen passport to the United States Department of State depends on where you are located currently, either inside of the US or outside of it.

If you’re inside the country and you don’t have any travel plans anytime soon, then you should go ahead with DS-64. You can complete it online and submit the same to the agency for approval, post which you can submit DS-11. No appointments will be asked until you intend to make international travel. Then you’ll have to visit a regional passport office and have a new passport book issued. Another benefit of waiting to apply is that you can get maximum life on your new passport once it is issued.

If you’re outside of the United States and you somehow have lost your passport, then it’s a matter of urgency. In such a scenario, the first thing you need to do is report to the police at the nearest station where you discovered it got lost. Then, take the report and submit it to the local US Embassy.

Once there, you need to submit Form DS-64 and submit relevant documents. If the Embassy is far off from your current location, then you can report over the phone and submit DS-64 online.

If you have time, however, and the loss of passport isn’t going to severely affect your travel abroad, then you can simultaneously apply for DS-11 and get a new book.

How to Complete Form DS-64?

Completing Form DS-64, both online and offline is simple and straightforward. It is essentially a 2-page form with half of it containing instructions on how to fill and how to properly report your case.

The first thing you need to do is take a print out of the Form DS-64. The form can be downloaded from here. Download the form in PDF format and take a print out of it.

In the topmost section, you’ll be asked whether your passport was stolen or you’ve lost it. You need to select the right cause and provide sufficient evidence if it got stolen. If you’ve lost both the passport book and passport card, you need to tick both the sections.

The section below (also known as the first section) is where you provide your identification details. You will be asked to provide your first, middle, and last name, sex, date of birth, social security number, phone number, current address, email address, etc. If you have a work telephone number, you can provide that as well. If you’ve changed your name legally since your last passport was issued, you should state the same.

The second section deals with information regarding your stolen/lost passport. You’ll be asked to provide the issued number of both passport cards and passport books. Additionally, you need to fill in the exact date when you discovered your card has been stolen or got lost.

Then you’d be requested to provide a brief description of the events describing how you lost the passport or where it was stolen and what you know about it. Basically, everything the Consular has to know about the issue.

The final section is the acknowledgment section. If you’re submitting the DS-64 form in connection with the request for a new passport, then you need to acknowledge “Yes”, else “No”. Provide your signature and date, and you’re done with the Form DS-64.

Rest is used for official use only.

Documents Required

In most cases, a photocopy of your stolen/lost passport is more than enough. You might be asked to submit other ID proofs you may have. If you’re applying from abroad, then it’s good to have travel documents in place. If you have none (because they got stolen or lost), then comply with the Consular’s order 

Form DS-64 Cost

When filing Form DS-64, you just have to bear the processing fee. At the time of writing, the processing fee was $110 for adults and $80 for children. Apart from that, there are no additional charges involved, except for some other services you might take, translation services for example.

Form DS-64 Processing Time

After you have submitted DS-64, the information will be entered into the Consular Lost or Stolen Passport System. If you’ve requested for expedited service, then you can expect your new passport book and card to arrive within 3 weeks from applying. In case it is a normal request (non-expedited), then it will be between 4 and 6 weeks, sometimes longer depending on the work volume. For delays exceeding six weeks, you can visit the passport center for updates

Read More


Once you have requested a new passport, you shall receive a new ten-year book and card (five-year book for applicants under the age of 16). Even though the process is fairly simple, you are requested to consult with an attorney or official in case there’s any confusion. This is because wrongful entries are often rejected and you have to start the process from scratch.

I agree to have my personal information transfered to MailChimp ( more information )
Join over 100,000 visitors who are receiving our newsletter and learn more about finance, immigration, and more!
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.

Frank Gogol

I’m a firm believer that information is the key to financial freedom. On the Stilt Blog, I write about the complex topics — like finance, immigration, and technology — to help immigrants make the most of their lives in the U.S. Our content and brand have been featured in Forbes, TechCrunch, VentureBeat, and more.

Check your loan offer in minutes

Apply for a loan with 100+ partners with one application. It takes only 2 mins and doesn’t impact your credit score.

*checking your rate doesn’t impact your credit score

Get the Checklist