How to Cancel a Roku Subscription
Posted by Frank Gogol in Save Money | Updated on June 20, 2023
Roku is a streaming service that a lot of people use these days. It is very popular, and it is available as an app on your smart TV or connects to your TV. The service allows you to keep up with the news or watch your favorite movies or TV shows.
However, what happens when you do not want to use Roku anymore and want to switch to a different service? How to cancel Roku subscription?
Roku offers you different ways to cancel your membership, so let’s see what you can do if you no longer want to use this streaming service.
How to Cancel or Unsubscribe from a Subscription Through Roku
When you are looking into how to cancel Netflix, you will see that there are different ways to end your subscription. Roku is similar in this regard. It gives you different alternatives to cancel your membership.
How to Cancel or Unsubscribe Through a Streaming Device
One way to cancel your Roku subscription is by using a streaming device. So, if you have a Roku device, you can simply use it to terminate your subscription. This method offers you two different ways to do it, respectively through channel navigation and the Roku channel store.
Let’s look into both of them starting with the channel navigation one:
- On the Roku remote control, find the home button and click on it.
- Go to the channel whose subscription you decided to terminate.
- Now, go to that channel. There should be a star “*” button on the remote and you should press that. Now, you will see the Options menu.
- In the Options section, choose Manage Subscription.
- Next, you should see a list of different options. Select the Cancel Your Subscription one.
- After doing so, you will be asked by Roku whether you are sure about your decision, and you should press the OK button from your controller.
When you do not want to unsubscribe from a particular channel or you end up changing your mind, you can also go for the “Keep subscription, exit” option from the TV screen.
After the confirmation button has been pressed, your subscription is terminated.
Now, let’s take a look at how you can cancel Roku from the Roku channel store:
- On the remote, press the home button.
- Scroll down from the channel store and choose the option that says Streaming Channels.
- In the store, you will see every app that is available on the Roku device, whether it is free, unsubscribed, or subscribed.
- Now, you will have to go to the channel that you wish to unsubscribe from the channel store.
- An option called Manage subscriptions should appear. Click on it.
- Next, choose the option called Cancel Subscription. Confirm it at the end.
How to Cancel or Unsubscribe from a Desktop or PC
If you are on your Desktop or PC, you can still unsubscribe from Roku, but the process is a bit different. You need an Internet connection and then you must follow these steps:
- Access the Roku site, respectively www.roku.com.
- Log into your Roku account with your username and password.
- There should be a My Account option on the TV screen’s top right area. Highlight it using the arrow buttons in order to cancel a service or channel.
- Click on it and switch to the Manage Subscriptions option.
- A full list of all the channels you subscribed to should be there.
- Choose the channel you no longer want to stay subscribed to. Select the Cancel Subscription option and you are done.
How to View Your Roku Subscription
The Roku official website and the remote control you use with your Roku streaming device allow you to see the list of all the channels you have subscribed to. Here is how you can see them from the controller:
- On the Roku remote, press the star or “*” button. This will allow you to go to the options menu.
- From the same remote, you should be able to see a Partner’s subscription Roku channel option. On the Roku TV screen, choose Manage subscription.
- You should then be able to see all the channels that you have subscribed to using your Roku account.
On the Roku website, the process is a bit different, but it is still easy to go through:
- Go to www.roku.com.
- Use your username and password to sign into Roku.
- Pick My Account. There, you should be able to see a Manage your subscriptions option. Then, this should show you the full list of the channels that you have subscribed to on your account.
Canceling a Roku Subscription FAQ
Canceling Roku is very easy, but you may still have some questions regarding the process. Take a look at these commonly asked questions and useful answers:
Does Roku give refunds when you cancel a subscription?
Unfortunately, getting a refund is not possible. Every channel that you have subscribed to using Roku is prepaid, and it is also non-refundable. Once you pay, you cannot get the money back.
Therefore, not even canceling your subscription will grant you a refund. No extra money will be deducted from your account following the cancellation, though.
How can you view your Roku bill?
Roky will send you an invoice that you can check. This will happen whether you purchased a Roku Channel premium, went for a subscription channel like Netflix or STARZ using Roku, or rented a movie using the service.
You can view your Roku purchase history by going to the official Roku website, then signing into your account. Then, you can scroll down to the bottom and pick “View your purchase history”. You can see different invoice categories by choosing Products or Content. For extra information about an invoice, you can choose Details.
However, invoices that are billed directly by Netflix or STARZ will not show up in the purchase history of the Roku account.
Why is Roku charging you?
Roku may be charging you for different reasons. You have either rented or purchased a movie or TV show using Roku, or maybe you or one of your family members used the Roku Channel app and added a premium subscription. The former would only be a one-time charge, while the latter would result in a recurring bill.
Another reason may be that you took the 7-day free trial for Roku and forgot to cancel it. The service charged you as a result.
- How to Cancel Discovery Plus
- How to Cancel SiriusXM
- How to Cancel HBO Max
- How to Cancel Sling TV
- How to Cancel EA Play
- How to Cancel ESPN Plus
While some want to know how to cancel Amazon Prime, others are thinking about how to cancel a Roku subscription. If you are part of the latter category, we hope our article helped you have a smooth subscription cancellation. This way, you can stop being charged and can move to a service that meets your needs. If you have subscribed for a free trial, make sure to cancel before it ends so you are not charged.