How to Cancel AT&T Internet
Posted by Frank Gogol
Updated on May 16, 2022
Many people are looking for a good Internet service with a stable connection. But after using an Internet provider for a while, some individuals may realize that it’s not for them anymore. Or they may find a different provider with better services.
If you’re in this situation, you may wonder how to cancel Xfinity or how to cancel AT&T Internet. For example, are there any cancellation fees with AT&T? This article will explain all the steps you have to go through to cancel AT&T.
Table of Contents
3 Ways to Cancel AT&T Internet
AT&T offers three ways to cancel its Internet services. You can do this by going to a retail location, by phone, or online. Here are all the methods explained.
1. How to Cancel AT&T Internet Over the Phone
Many clients decide to cancel their AT&T Internet service by phone simply because it is easier to just make a call. That’s the case when they have no time or possibility to visit one of their locations. At the same time, keep in mind that it can take quite a bit to cancel the services by phone due to their retention scripts.
If you want to speed up the process, this is what you have to do:
- Call 1-800-288-2020 to reach the AT&T customer service line.
- If they cannot identify you based on your phone number, they will look for your account number or different things for verification.
- For the reason of the call, make sure to say “cancel service”.
- Then, when asked what service you are calling about, say “Internet”.
- Someone will come on the line. Tell them that you need to close your Internet account because you are moving out of the country.
- Ideally, you should request a cancellation date that is sooner than the next billing period. If you don’t, then you’ll end up paying for an extra month.
- The company will take you through the requirements for returning the equipment and will offer you a “return authorization number”. If you return the equipment through UPS, write the number down.
2. How to Cancel AT&T Internet at a Retail Location
AT&T is a company with several retail stores all over the country. As such, their stores can be found in all major cities. Thus, you can cancel your Internet service in person, especially if you’ve been dealing with billing problems.
Here are the steps to take:
- Pack up any equipment that you got through the AT&T Internet service or phone/TV. This includes your modem, receivers, gateway, and anything of the sort. If possible, use the same boxes they came in. Don’t forget the cables.
- Take your equipment to an AT&T store agent.
- Tell them you need some help canceling your AT&T account because you are moving out of their service area. They may try asking you to transfer service where you are moving but tell them you are moving out of the country.
- Set a cancellation date within the billing period.
- Get a receipt for the returned equipment and the interaction.
3. How to Cancel AT&T Internet Online
You can also cancel your AT&T Internet service online through your account, but only DSL customers will have the privilege of using this method. People who are on their IPBB or AT&T fiber service can only cancel in-store or by phone. And considering they stopped signing anyone on the DSL product starting in 2020, the chances are that you won’t be able to use this method.
Steps to Cancel AT&T Internet
So, are you ready to cancel your AT&T Internet? Follow all these steps and you will enjoy a smooth cancellation:
1. Pay Off Account Balances
Ensure that you don’t have any outstanding balances on your AT&T products, whether it’s the landline phone, DirecTV, TV, or small business connectivity services. Otherwise, they can make you pay late fees, and that is the last thing you want. On top of that, this could ensure that you’re in a good position in case any restocking fees or equipment disputes begin.
2. Understand the Terms of Your Contract
Some AT&T services require contracts, while others don’t. For example, there is no contract needed for AT&T Internet-only plans, while phone and TV bundles will have two-year agreements. If you decide to cancel your service before the stated duration of the contract, you may have to pay “early termination fees”.
How much you have to pay in early termination fees will depend on how much is left from your contract. For 1-year contracts, the fee is up to $180, whereas for 2-year contracts it can be up to $360.
Basically, you have to pay $15 for each month you have left from your contract.
3. Request Cancelation of Your AT&T Internet
Ask for the cancellation of your account. You can do it by calling customer service, going to a retail location, or online if you are a legacy DSL customer.
4. Return the AT&T Internet Equipment
The equipment the company gave you should be returned. If you cancel in person, then you can easily return the equipment at the same time.
If you cancel by phone, though, you can return the equipment through UPS, so AT&T will send you a prepaid shipping label, as well as an equipment return authorization number. Here is what you have to bring for a UPS return:
- Pre-paid shipping label and return authorization number
- Your equipment in the original boxes if possible. If the original packaging is not available, use your own box and pack the equipment neatly
- All the power cords, ethernet wires, and different accessories that were provided with your equipment.
Leased equipment should be returned within 21 days. Otherwise, they will consider it lost and you will be billed for it. The unreturned equipment fees are pretty high, so you should avoid those.
5. Confirm that Billing Has Stopped
After the cancellation, check your account. Make sure no extra fees are showing up after the cancellation. If you did everything right, these papers should be available for disputed fees:
- A printed or emailed statement for the cancellation request
- A receipt copy from your visits to one of their stores
- The shipping receipt from UPS and the return authorization number for the equipment
6. Dispute Any Additional Fees (If Any)
In case you find any extra fees after canceling, you should use their customer service line and state “dispute charge” to resolve with billing.
AT&T Internet Cancelation FAQ
Here are some frequently asked questions with their answers:
Is there a cancellation fee for AT&T?
Cancellation fees may apply if you cancel your service early with a contract service. The fee is $15 per month for each remaining month of the contract.
What is the AT&T cancellation number?
You can cancel the AT&T Internet service by calling (800) 288-2020 and choosing “cancel service”. For more advanced requests, you can also call (866) 294-3464.
Does AT&T prorate final bills?
AT&T does not prorate final bills for TV/phone and Internet customers starting from 2019. It is possible for mobile accounts to still be prorated, but when it comes to other services, they will simply incur the full last month of service fees when you cancel.
- How to Cancel Xfinity – Steps to Take
- How to Cancel Geico Insurance
- How to Cancel Progressive Insurance
Some people simply cancel Netflix and other similar services, while others want to cancel their account with their current Internet provider. If you have an AT&T account and want to cancel it, follow the instructions in this article and your process will be smooth.
Need a Loan? Get One in 3 Simple Steps
If you are considering applying for a personal loan, just follow these 3 simple steps.
Apply online for the loan amount you need. Submit the required documentation and provide your best possible application. Stronger applications get better loan offers.
If your application meets the eligibility criteria, the lender will contact you with regard to your application. Provide any additional information if required. Soon you’ll have your loan offer. Some lenders send a promissory note with your loan offer. Sign and return that note if you wish to accept the loan offer.
The loan then gets disbursed into your U.S. bank account within a reasonable number of days (some lenders will be as quick as 2-3 business days). Now you need to set up your repayment method. You can choose an autopay method online to help you pay on time every month.
Stilt provides loans to international students and working professionals in the U.S. (F-1, OPT, H-1B, O-1, L-1, TN visa holders) at rates lower than any other lender. Stilt is committed to helping immigrants build a better financial future.
We take a holistic underwriting approach to determine your interest rates and make sure you get the lowest rate possible.
Learn what others are saying about us on Google, Yelp, and Facebook or visit us at https://www.stilt.com. If you have any questions, send us an email at [email protected]