I’m a firm believer that information is the key to financial freedom. On the Stilt Blog, I write about the complex topics — like finance, immigration, and technology — to help immigrants make the most of their lives in the U.S. Our content and brand have been featured in Forbes, TechCrunch, VentureBeat, and more.See all posts Frank Gogol
How to Cancel Spotify Premium
The Spotify music streaming service has gained a lot of popularity over the last few years. Users can listen to their favorite artists for free, create playlists and make sure that they have their music ready whether they are at home or on the road.
Many people opt for a Spotify Premium account as it gives them several extra features, like the shuffle option, the ability to download up to 10,000 songs, and many others. But some people want to cancel Spotify Premium, as some either cannot afford the monthly fee or they simply don’t want to use the service anymore. So, let’s see how to cancel Spotify Premium.
How to Cancel Spotify Premium
Spotify Premium surely has its perks, but not everyone wants to keep using it forever. Perhaps you relate to this feeling, and you want to know how to cancel your Spotify Premium account.
Well, canceling it is a bit different based on whether you are doing it from a web browser or an iPhone. Also, it is important to know that even if you cancel it, you have the right to restart the Premium subscription whenever you wish.
Here are the two methods to cancel Spotify Premium:
How Do You Cancel Spotify Premium on a Web Browser?
Canceling Spotify Premium cannot be done on the mobile or desktop application, so you have to do it on the Spotify website instead. Following these steps will ensure you cancel your subscription successfully:
- Open your browser on your computer, Android phone, or iPhone and access the Spotify website.
- Log into your Spotify account. Then, if you are on a computer, click Log In, which can be found in the top-right corner of your screen. On mobile browsers, you should tap the three-horizontal-line icon that you can see in the top-right corner. Then, select Log In.
- When you successfully log into your account, go to the Account page. On the desktop version, look in the top-right corner and click Profile, then click Account from the drop-down menu. On mobile, you should tap the three-horizontal-line icon from the top-right corner and choose Account from the drop-down menu.
- Scroll down until you see the Your Plan section, and then click or tap on Change Plan.
- When you get to the next page, you should scroll down to the Spotify Free section and then click or tap on the Cancel Premium option.
- You will get a page that tells you what you will lose by canceling your Premium subscription. You can read it, or you can simply look at the bottom and instantly click Continue to cancel. On the next page, you should click Continue to cancel again.
- To confirm your cancellation, you should click “Yes, cancel”. Then, you will be reverted to the Spotify Free version.
How Do You Cancel Spotify Premium on iPhone using Apple ID?
Some Spotify Premium users subscribed using the Apple App Store, and if you did so, the cancellation process will be different for you. This is because you have to use your Apple ID settings to cancel your subscription. Here is how to do it:
- Take your iPad or iPhone and open the Settings app.
- Tap on your name and Apple ID. You will see them quickly at the top of the Settings page.
- Next, open the Apple ID page and tap Subscriptions.
- From the subscriptions list, find Spotify and select it.
- On the Spotify page, tap on Cancel Subscription. This will complete the cancellation process.
How to Delete a Spotify Premium Account
If you do not want to use Spotify anymore, you can choose to delete your Spotify Premium account. This also applies if you do not want to keep using the free Spotify account anymore. In order to entirely delete your account, you have to go through the following steps:
- Go to the support page of Spotify
- Click on “Account”
- Select “I want to close my account”
- Follow the steps there to permanently delete your Spotify Account
Considerations Before Canceling Your Spotify Premium Account
Before you jump straight to canceling Spotify Premium, you should consider the consequences. Basically, you may have certain playlists or songs in your account that you do not wish to lose, so think about this before proceeding with the cancelation.
If you cancel your Premium membership, you can use Spotify Free, so you will not lose access to your entire Spotify Profile. What happens is that you lose certain advantages that you only get with a Premium Membership.
You will not be able to use the shuffle option anymore, and the free Spotify version can skip only so many songs. Moreover, you will not be able to listen to music offline. Spotify Premium allows you to download up to 10,000 songs, and this will not be possible when you give up on your membership.
Lastly, you should know that by canceling the subscription, you will not be ad-free anymore. Even if you are listening to music on the free version, you will have to hear various ads after a certain number of songs. It doesn’t feel nice to have your experience interrupted.
Spotify Premium Cancellation FAQ
You may still have some questions regarding the Spotify Premium cancellation, so if that is the case, here are some of the most frequently asked questions:
I canceled my account, but I was billed again. What happened?
If you canceled your Premium subscription but were still billed for it, the chances are you didn’t cancel your account before the renewal date.
An email is sent to you once you cancel your Spotify subscription in order to give you the confirmation for the cancellation. So, if you have been charged for a subscription after canceling it, you should check your email. The cancellation date will be set on it.
But if everything checks out and the charge was a mistake, you should make sure to reach out to Spotify support.
Can I reactivate a closed account?
When you have a paid subscription, you can still reactivate it after the cancellation as long as your account is still open. All the benefits and playlists will be reactivated too.
But once you decide to close your account for good, recovery is no longer possible. Your former account is gone, and so is the data that was saved while the account was active. Once the cancellation is complete, so is the data. The only option you have left is opening a new account and making some new playlists.
Spotify Premium is amazing as it allows you to download up to 10,000 songs to listen offline, it has no ads, and it also allows you to skip as many songs as you want to. But if you cannot pay the fee anymore or you are no longer interested in its features, you can cancel it.
As you can see, the cancellation is easy whether you do it on a web browser or from your iPhone settings. If you keep your Spotify account and only cancel your subscription, you always have the option to reactivate it later.