I’m a firm believer that information is the key to financial freedom. On the Stilt Blog, I write about the complex topics — like finance, immigration, and technology — to help immigrants make the most of their lives in the U.S. Our content and brand have been featured in Forbes, TechCrunch, VentureBeat, and more.See all posts Frank Gogol
What is the Cheapest Way to Ship to India from the USA?
Do you want to ship something from the U.S.A. to India? Shipping something from a country to another might be a little expensive, or you may find it very difficult to deal with the procedure since it’s not the same as sending money. Luckily, there are a few methods that are cheap and convenient. Go through this article and you’ll be able to find the cheapest way to ship to India from the U.S.A.
Is It Possible to Get Inexpensive Shipping to India from the U.S.?
Usually, when it comes to shipping something from the U.S. to India, you expect high prices. It all depends on the company and how much weight the parcel has, as well as some other features. In fact, this applies as a general rule, and it’s not exclusive to India and U.S. shipping only.
Believe it or not, inexpensive shipping to India from the U.S. is possible, though. There are certain companies that ship for affordable prices, and thus you’ll have the chance to ship your parcel without breaking the bank. As long as you’re aware of how to ship your package through these couriers, you’ll never have issues when it comes to money.
Top 4 Cheap Couriers for Shipping to India from the U.S.
So, if you’re interested in the cheapest way to ship to India from the U.S.A., you should consider one of the following options:
SFL Worldwide is a great company that has been one of the leading forces in the industry since 2005. They know that everyone wants good shipping conditions, and that price matters, which is why they ensure easy and cheap shipping to India from the U.S. What’s great about this courier is the fact that you’ll be guided during the entire shipping process. You’ll be able to prepare your documents and ship everything without any trouble.
You will be able to track your packages after sending them, and you even have door pickup available. So, while shipping a box of 50 lbs. costs $125.00, you have door pickup included. For the other options, you should know they come at an extra cost. Luckily, though, door delivery is included no matter how heavy your box is.
Even better, the company lets you save up to 70% on your next shipping to India.
Garudavega also helps you ship your packages safely to India and does that for small prices. The courier brings amazing services to Indian people who live in the U.S., and also to those who simply have friends or family members in India and want to send them something.
What makes Garudavega so amazing is the fact that they ship from anywhere in the U.S. to anywhere in India. Additionally, the packages can be shipped within 5 business days as well, while the rates stay low.
Universal Relocations have a good number of benefits if you use them to ship something to India from the U.S. You will get door-to-door service at very small prices, and since they’re experts in the industry, you will get high-quality services from their staff. No matter whether you’re shipping big or small packages, you can rest assured that Universal Relocations will take care of it.
You can also rely on Unirelo if you want to ship something to India. The cool thing is that the services start with a free estimate. It’s possible to ship in small quantities, but you can also ship multiple things at once if you have a big amount of items you would like to send to India for any reason.
Shipping to India includes door-to-door services, and there are even pickup services in the U.S. Not only can you send a gift to a loved one in India, but you can also send furniture or appliances if necessary. The prices are affordable and you won’t have to throw money out the window for benefits.
What’s even better is that you can either pack the items yourself or ask the professionals to handle them for you. Shipping is available by sea or by air.
How to Prepare Your Shipping Box
If you want to ship something, you need to make sure you prepare the box first. You can’t just ship the item as it is and slap a sticker with the name of the person you want it sent to. There are some things that go into shipping something to India, and you need to be aware of these rules. Here are some tips on how to prepare your shipping box.
- Make sure you use double-ply boxes when packing the things you want to ship. They shouldn’t be hard to obtain, as they are usually found at Home Depot or similar stores. Whatever you do, make sure you don’t settle for single-ply boxes.
- In case there are new Indian families living nearby, you should try sharing your unused things with them, or the less used things.
- If there are heavy things you were thinking of shipping, you should either donate them or leave them behind.
- If anything inside the package is fragile and may break if not handled properly, make sure to mark it out.
- You should only take small things with you, as most airlines will let you do this even if you have a good baggage mount. If you are going to India, you should take it with you instead of shipping it, as it’ll save money.
- Make sure that you get an estimate of how much you’ll have to ship.
- Find out the closest city to your Indian hometown where you can have the shipment delivered.
- Discover whether door-to-door, door-to-port, port-port, or port-to-door shipping is necessary.
- Take a picture of all the boxes once you have packed everything and keep that picture.
- Get a quote from the best chipping agencies.
- Once all the boxes are packed, you should weigh each box on an industrial scale before shipping. Note the weight on every box before the process.
Shipping by Air vs. Shipping by Sea
Air and sea shipping will differ when it comes to the price. By sea, door-to-port costs about $650, and door-to-door costs $950 for 10 boxes. Meanwhile, if you want the same shipment by air, it will cost $750.
Should You Get Insurance?
Insurance may be necessary but only depending on what you ship. Undoubtedly, it is something you should consider if you are shipping fragile things or valuable ones. You also have to be careful, though. If you pack the items yourself, companies will usually not offer insurance if only one box is lost. They will only do this if all the boxes get lost.
Receiving the Shipment in India
When you are receiving the shipment in India, you will have to keep a few things in mind. For instance, make sure that you are the one picking up the order and show proof that you are the person who should receive it. Bring U.S. utility bills and ID proof.
Customs duties will be between Rs. 2,000 to Rs. 8.000 when it comes to a 5-box shipment. Also, keep in mind that door-to-door services might require additional costs and might bring delays too. Before you go there, you should arrange a truck so you can easily pick up everything.
Having your items sent to the port will make things faster since you don’t have to wait for the local office to take the shipment. You should only have some rupees ready in cash for bills and fees, and some dollars for tips. Lastly, get the shipment delivered to the port or the agency closest to your home.
- Best Indian Grocery Stores in the U.S: The Complete Guide
- Finding Home Abroad: 5 Best Roadside Dhabas in the U.S.
- What Is a Pan Card?
- PIO Cards: What You Need to Know
- How to Renew an Indian Passport
- Indian Passport Photo Requirements
Shipping to India from the U.S.A doesn’t have to be expensive. By using one of the companies we listed, the entire process will be affordable and convenient for sure.