I’m a firm believer that information is the key to financial freedom. On the Stilt Blog, I write about the complex topics — like finance, immigration, and technology — to help immigrants make the most of their lives in the U.S. Our content and brand have been featured in Forbes, TechCrunch, VentureBeat, and more.See all posts Frank Gogol
The Ultimate Quinceanera Checklist & Timeline
Family means the world to you. You would move mountains for the ones you love. You probably took a job to provide for your family in some way and you gladly work tirelessly to see your kids’ dreams come true.
A Quinceanera is one of those landmark events at which you want to spoil your little princess as she turns into a queen. The dream is big but so is the task at hand. Do you know what you and your daughter want? Have you made any arrangements yet? If not, don’t worry because we’ll help you prepare with a Quinceanera checklist.
The following advice could assist you in your party planning endeavors. The list starts as if you have two years left to plan, but you can start whenever you are ready. You’re on your way to a successful Quinceanera as long as you find a way to check all the boxes.
One to Two Years Before Your Quinceanera
Life can rush by you in an instant. You remember your daughter’s first day of school like it’s yesterday and now she’s almost turning 15 ready for her grand party. Before you know it you might be pressed for time and required to plan a whole party within a few months. So start early and plan well in advance.
Certain aspects of the party may have a large demand. The venue you like is perhaps booked for another year or two. The ministers you want at the ceremony may need time to prepare and organize their schedules. It’s best to get the important things in order way ahead of time. It also gives you more time to make emergency plans if something does go haywire before the big day. Here follow some of the most important things in a Quinceanera checklist:
- Establish your budget – You must decide how much you are willing to spend and plan accordingly.
- Set the date
- Book the church – If applicable, book the church or venue where you want the ceremony to take place.
- Arrange the minister/priest – If applicable, arrange the person who needs to oversee the ceremony.
- Book caterers – Catering companies could charge you anything between $10-$30 per guest.
- Book entertainment – Perhaps you need a mariachi band or DJ which could cost anything between $150 to $1,000 depending on your taste.
- Book transportation – The quinceanera, her court of honor and the family may need transportation of a special kind like a limousine. This could easily come to about $100 per vehicle depending on how long you need the vehicles.
- Book photographers – A special memory like this needs to be captured. Photographers can help to do just that. It could cost between $500 to $2,000.
- Arrange the cake and sweets – A big part of the celebration are the cake and sweet pastries and desserts. You may need to arrange this separately from the caterers if they aren’t able to produce what you need. Cakes could cost $1 to $4 per slice.
- Choose a theme – The Quinceanera needs to choose a theme for the party.
- Pick a color scheme – Choose colors that will accompany the theme.
- Create a guest list – Set up a guest list to help plan the number of attendees at the party.
- Ask for sponsorships – Perhaps the Quinceanera’s padrinos or neighbors would like to sponsor an amount toward the party.
- Damas and chambelanes – Choose a shortlist of the people who’ll be included as damas and chambelanes.
- Book the reception venue – The party needs a venue that can facilitate the wonderful traditions that surround the evening. Venue hire could cost anything between $350-$10,000.
A Quinceanera party requires planning. There are lots of components that need to work together to form a successful day. Some of the checkpoints on the list need to be booked months in advance to secure it. It’s also important to plan ahead in your budget. Decide how much you are willing to spend and budget accordingly. Currently, the budget could demand anything between $3,000 and $15,000.
Nine Months Before the Quinceanera
Fifteen-year-old girls may still be growing, so it’s better to plan certain things like the dress fittings closer to the day of the party. Here follows a list of things for which you need enough time, but only have to start planning about 9 months before the party. Thank goodness you can refer to this Quinceanera checklist, right?
- Quinceanera dress – Dresses range between $250-$1,000.
- Finalize honor escort and court – It’s time to finalize your court of honor and your honor escort. Send them a personal invitation.
- Damas dresses and accessories – Damas dresses and accessories could cost anything between $100-$1,000.
- Chambelanes formal wear – Chambelanes formal wear could range between $75-$750.
- Choreography – Perhaps you want to present a coordinated waltz or modern dance at the party. This could cost another $50-$250 depending on how many hours you book.
- Meet ceremony officials – Meet with the priests or ministers conducting the ceremony to discuss proceedings on the day.
We’ve added between $450-$3,000 to the budget. This means your overall spending is currently at about $3,450 to $18,000. These items on the Quinceanera checklist you can tick off at about 9 months before the party.
Six Months Before the Quinceanera
The day is drawing closer, but all have not yet been settled. Other important details need to be checked now. Certain things are of a seasonal nature and can only be organized within this timeframe. They are as follows.
- Decorations – Order the party decorations at a cost between $100 to $1000.
- Party favors – Decide whether you want to present guests with party favors. It may cost between $5 to $50 per guest depending on your choice of gifts.
- Draft party itinerary – Plan the outline of the party proceedings.
- Make dress alterations – Make alterations to the dresses if required. This could cost an additional $50 per dress.
- Order flowers – Hire a florist that can get done what you need. This could cost between $100-$500.
You just added another $400 to $2,000 to the budget. These items have a seasonal nature and could only be ordered about 6 months before the party. Your total budget currently stands at between $3,850 to $20,000.
Three Months Before the Quinceanera
It’s time to start finalizing the more minor details. These things could be left for the last three months. It may not take up any more space in your budget but it will require your time.
- Finalize the guest list – Send out invitations to your finalized guest list.
- Contact vendors – Make contact with your vendors and ask about their progress. Make sure all vendors are still ready to perform.
- Finalize the dress – Make sure the Quinceanera dress is practically finalized.
Your budget may not be impacted at this stage but you need to do many follow up calls. Go round to each vendor and make sure all is in order. Your guest list should be finalized by now so that your caterers can plan accordingly. The party is taking shape now and soon you’ll just need to add the finishing touches.
Two Months Before the Quinceanera
Most of the big party items have been secured by now. You can now add the soft touches to the day that will light it up. These items that follow help to make the day as special as it should be.
- Book hair and makeup – Book the hair and makeup appointments for the day of the party. It could cost between $50 to $250 for the day. It also depends on how many ladies need hair and makeup assistance.
- Prepare speeches – The party outline is established and those who need to say something can start planning their speeches.
You potentially added between $50 to $250 to the budget. Your overall spending stands at $3,900 to $20,250. The day is drawing closer and you need to keep a tight grip on things. You need to make emergency plans if any vendors or plans fall through at this stage.
One Month Before the Quinceanera
The party actually kicks into gear now. Certain aspects of traditions already need attention now. Make sure everyone’s expectations are being managed from vendors straight through to guests.
- Formal Quinceanera picture – Organize the formal Quinceanera picture of the lady in her dress.
- Purchase gifts – Purchase gifts for the court of honor.
- Select music – Select and communicate the music at the party. Including the all-important father and daughter dance.
- Finish the dress – Complete the Quinceanera dress.
Depending on the gifts you buy, you won’t add anything else to your budget now. Vendors are in place, the venue is booked, everyone knows what is expected of them. The day of the party is approaching.
One Week Before the Quinceanera
The day is almost here! You need to keep your wits about you and make sure all plans run according to the party outline and that vendors and guests are ready.
- Contact guests who have not responded – Contact those who have not yet responded to their invitations.
- Confirm guest totals – Your caterers need to know how many guests are attending.
- Prepare reception seating plans – Plan the seating arrangements at the reception.
- Make your list – Make a list of the important things you need to remember on the day.
Take a deep breath. Everything will be fine. It’s a day to be treasured and remembered. It will be the fairytale it’s destined to be. Keep to your planning and let your vendors do the rest.
The Day of the Quinceanera
It’s here! The day has arrived. You can now go enjoy the fruit of your labor over the past two years.
- Decorations – Do the decorations you are required to perform.
- Enjoy the pampering – Attend your hair and makeup appointments.
- Look after yourselves – Remember to enjoy a healthy breakfast and make sure the Quinceanera herself is well looked after for the day.
- Check your list – Go through your personal list and make sure you won’t miss anything.
- Make memories – Enjoy the day with your family and friends as you celebrate your daughter’s coming of age.
Add any last expenses and the party budget can cost you between $4,000 and $22,000. Your daughter is now a woman. You spent the day singing her praises and you spoiled her in the process. You wouldn’t have it any other way and it is worth every cent.
- How to Transfer from DACA to a Green Card
- Can DACA Recipients Travel?
- How to Get an NJ Drivers Licence as an Undocumented Immigrant
- Health Insurance for DACA Recipients
- Everything You Need to Know About Advance Parole for DACA
- DACA Renewal Checklist
Planning a party of this caliber seems like a daunting task. There are so many components you need to keep track of. How could you manage it on your own? Use the Quinceanera checklist provided above to help you plan this great party. It will also help you manage your budget in the process.