I’m a firm believer that information is the key to financial freedom. On the Stilt Blog, I write about the complex topics — like finance, immigration, and technology — to help immigrants make the most of their lives in the U.S. Our content and brand have been featured in Forbes, TechCrunch, VentureBeat, and more.See all posts Frank Gogol
CPT Eligibility Criteria For Day 1 CPT Universities
Before we delve deeper and find out the eligibility criteria for the CPT, it is necessary to know what CPT is.
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is an off-campus employment option specifically meant for F-1 students. It is an integral part of the programs where on-field training is a necessary part of the academic program. There are some universities that offer Day 1 CPT for international students.
Eligibility Criteria for CPT Employment
In order to be eligible for CPT:
- You must be pursuing a full-time academic program on a valid F-1 status
- CPT must be an important part of a degree program or should be the requirement of the course you are pursuing
- You should conduct CPT is the field of your study
- You should have a CPT job offer in hand before submitting a CPT authorization request
Let’s have a look at the specific CPT eligibility requirements set by various universities.
Stratford University CPT Eligibility:
In order to get enrolled in Stratford for CPT, you need to ensure following things:
- You must have a lawful F-1 status
- You must have a good academic performance (a minimum of 3.5 CGPA on a scale of 4.0 for graduate programs and 3.0 for undergraduate programs on a scale of 4.0)
- You must be a full-time student
- You can only enroll yourself in a job at the location within 250 miles of the college campus
- You can continue your CPT only as per the start and end date as mentioned in the I-20 letter
Virginia International University CPT Eligibility:
In order to be eligible for CPT, as a student of VIU, you must be a degree student for at least one academic year. Further, each degree program has its own requirements. Thus, it is necessary that you get in touch with the Academic Advisor to check the exact eligibility requirements as per your field.
Here are a few conditions that you must satisfy:
- You should have a lawful F-1 status
- You should have a job offer in hand
- You should be enrolled in a 1-year full-time academic course
- Not enrolled in an English course
- You should be able to demonstrate that the proposed job offer is in line with the field of your study
It must be noted that as of now, VIU doesn’t allow you to participate in a CPT which requires immediate joining.
Harrisburg University CPT Eligibility:
In order to be eligible for the CPT in Harrisburg University, you must be a graduate student. Here are a few additional eligibility requirements that you need to satisfy:
- You must be enrolled in a full-time course for one year
- You must hold an active F-1 status
- If you have a gap of 1 year, your 1-year academic year would require recalculation
This brings us to the end of this article. We hope this article would have cleared your doubts regarding the CPT eligibility criteria in various universities.
Got a query? Do share with us in the comments.