Do I Have to Pay Taxes While Working on an H1B or Doing an OPT?

Posted by Rohit Mittal

People that live in the United States have to have some type of visa to legally reside in the top immigrant nation. In this article, we focus on answering questions for people that are in the US on an H1B visa or for students who have recently finished their studies and are planning to do an OPT in the US. One of the first questions – and probably most important questions people have – revolve around how the tax system works and how much you have to pay while working in the US.

Let’s jump straight into it. When working on an OPT, you only have to pay your Federal State, Country, and City taxes. However, when you start to work on an H1B visa, you will have to pay FICA taxes on top of those taxes, which include your Social Security and Medicare taxes. So when working on an H1B visa, you definitely have to pay more taxes to the IRS then you would be doing an OPT. We explain the reason for this in detail below.  Another rule when it comes to taxes and immigrants is that if you have passed a 5-year waiver period while on an F1 visa before starting your OPT, you will be required to pay more taxes.

Read on to learn more, or check out our video Salary After Taxes in US | How much can I save in USA?

How much tax do I have to pay when on an H1B visa?

On an H1B visa, you have to pay Federal State, Social Security, and Medicare tax based on your income. The federal income tax rate ranges from 10% to 39.6 %; the higher your income, the higher the tax you have to pay. Usually, H1B workers have to have a certain level of income and therefore pay between 25% and 28% on taxable income. The exact amount of how much you have to pay can be found on the official website of the IRS. Like in every country, when you work and have a job, you are required to pay taxes.

You can now get loans even with OPT or H-1B.

Apply for a Stilt Loan

Loans for up to $25,000. No cosigner required.

How much tax do I have to pay when working on OPT?

As mentioned before, working on an OPT is a lot different than working on an H1B because an OPT is not technically considered a job. An OPT is considered more of an internship and has accompanying lower wages to prove it. Therefore, if you are on an OPT, you will only have to pay Federal and State taxes but you will not have to pay for Social Security or Medicare.

We hope this article has helped you understand the tax system for immigrants in the United States. If you have any more questions about paying your taxes please feel free to contact us. Likewise, if you have any information or stories you want to add in the comments section, please feel free to do so! Good luck with your tax filing and make sure to check out the official homepage of the IRS for more information on what taxes you should be being in the United States as a resident!

About Stilt:

Stilt provides loans to international students and working professionals in the U.S. (F-1, OPT, H-1B, O-1, L-1, TN visa holders) at rates lower than any other lender. Stilt is committed to helping immigrants build a better financial future.

We take a holistic underwriting approach to determine your interest rates and make sure you get the lowest rate possible.

Learn what others are saying about us on GoogleYelp, and Facebook or visit us at If you have any questions, send us an email at [email protected].

Read previous post:
How to Get a Personal Loan with No Cosigner

Most traditional lenders require cosigners for loan applicants with bad credit. Students and immigrants are particularly vulnerable to depending on...